The Student Room Group

A level resits

I've just received my a level results and I'm so so disappointed, I worked so hard and only got BBB and what's worse is I was only 1 or 2 marks off on all 3 subjects for an A. What do I do. I've sent it in for a remark but in case it doesn't, can I get into a Russel group? Should I resit all 3 or 2 or 1? I do math chem and econ.
Original post by Llawyer123
I've just received my a level results and I'm so so disappointed, I worked so hard and only got BBB and what's worse is I was only 1 or 2 marks off on all 3 subjects for an A. What do I do. I've sent it in for a remark but in case it doesn't, can I get into a Russel group? Should I resit all 3 or 2 or 1? I do math chem and econ.

I assume your plan involves a gap year?

If you are unsuccessful in any remarks, only resit subjects you are confident you can get at least an A in.

It is possible you could get into a Russell group university, but I would also consider looking at other good universities outside of the Russell group.
Original post by TypicalNerd
I assume your plan involves a gap year?

If you are unsuccessful in any remarks, only resit subjects you are confident you can get at least an A in.

It is possible you could get into a Russell group university, but I would also consider looking at other good universities outside of the Russell group.

Yeah I'm gonna have to take a gap year. I just don't know how anyone could get so unlucky, just for 1 or 2 marks.
Yeah I'm gonna have to take a gap year. I just don't know how anyone could get so unlucky, just for 1 or 2 marks.

I reckon they marked very harshly this year tbh.

Remember your grades don’t define you. They only assess how you did compared to others over a period of a few weeks, so the final results don’t necessarily give the full story of how much work went into the last 2 years of study.

I also did chemistry and maths (awarded A*’s in both), so you may ask me any questions you like about them, if needed.
I reckon they marked very harshly this year tbh.

Remember your grades don’t define you. They only assess how you did compared to others over a period of a few weeks, so the final results don’t necessarily give the full story of how much work went into the last 2 years of study.

I also did chemistry and maths (awarded A*’s in both), so you may ask me any questions you like about them, if needed.

Thanks so much man. I'm planning on resitting chem and maths. Aqa for chem and edexcel for maths. When do you think I should start. Where do I start from, I don't wanna use the way I revised again, what method got you the A stars?
Thanks so much man. I'm planning on resitting chem and maths. Aqa for chem and edexcel for maths. When do you think I should start. Where do I start from, I don't wanna use the way I revised again, what method got you the A stars?

I did put a particularly informative post on another thread, telling you exactly what I did and what resources I used. The link to the thread (which I hope works) is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

I did Edexcel for both chemistry and maths, but most of my chemistry resources were designed for AQA.
I did put a particularly informative post on another thread, telling you exactly what I did and what resources I used. The link to the thread (which I hope works) is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

I did Edexcel for both chemistry and maths, but most of my chemistry resources were designed for AQA.

As for when you should start, I’d say asap.

I’d begin by doing the 2021 AS papers (AQA, as Edexcel haven't made theirs available yet) and marking them. Using the questions you lose the most marks on as a guideline, identify your weak topics and start on them. This is because you need to start by getting the year 12 material straight, before ensuring your year 13 material is straight.
(edited 1 year ago)
As for when you should start, I’d say asap.

I’d begin by doing the 2021 AS papers (AQA, as Edexcel haven't made theirs available yet) and marking them. Using the questions you lose the most marks on as a guideline, identify your weak topics and start on them. This is because you need to start by getting the year 12 material straight, before ensuring your year 13 material is straight.

OK im gonna have a look at that thread
OK im gonna have a look at that thread

Very wise move. I wish you the best of luck with the resits and shall remain available for guidance, should you want it.
Very wise move. I wish you the best of luck with the resits and shall remain available for guidance, should you want it.

Thanks so mucb, do you mind if I pm you sometimes?
Thanks so mucb, do you mind if I pm you sometimes?

By all means. Go ahead
(edited 1 year ago)
By all means. Go ahead

OK so I looked at your thread, it's really good and I'm familiar with a lot of the websites. Yk the website theexamformula.,should I do the unit 1,2, 4,5 for Aqa before doing the new ppqs? Also how did you get good at the practical qs? That's my weakest point.
OK so I looked at your thread, it's really good and I'm familiar with a lot of the websites. Yk the website theexamformula.,should I do the unit 1,2, 4,5 for Aqa before doing the new ppqs? Also how did you get good at the practical qs? That's my weakest point.

Units 1, 2, 4 and 5 are a good starting point as the questions have far less topic overlap, making them good diagnostics for new topics. Remember some things (i.e cobalt and chromium chemistry) are no longer assessed, so you won’t need to do all the questions on these papers.

Practicals can be sorted using units 3 and 6, plus there is actually a book by Hodder education that may help. A link to it here may help you get an idea of what you are looking for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-level-Chemistry-Student-Guide/dp/1471885143/ref=asc_df_1471885143/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311040585758&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11583002497440698973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045073&hvtargid=pla-565420167555&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I’d say for anything (including practicals) in chemistry, past papers typically are the best way to learn how examiners want you to approach questions.
Units 1, 2, 4 and 5 are a good starting point as the questions have far less topic overlap, making them good diagnostics for new topics. Remember some things (i.e cobalt and chromium chemistry) are no longer assessed, so you won’t need to do all the questions on these papers.

Practicals can be sorted using units 3 and 6, plus there is actually a book by Hodder education that may help. A link to it here may help you get an idea of what you are looking for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-level-Chemistry-Student-Guide/dp/1471885143/ref=asc_df_1471885143/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311040585758&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11583002497440698973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045073&hvtargid=pla-565420167555&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I’d say for anything (including practicals) in chemistry, past papers typically are the best way to learn how examiners want you to approach questions.

Have you used this book urself? Is it definitely worth it?
Have you used this book urself? Is it definitely worth it?

I used the Edexcel variant and I’d say I think it was worth it, however, the core practicals in AQA chemistry and Edexcel chemistry are different, so you’d have to use the AQA version. I haven’t used the AQA version, but I’d imagine it’s of the same quality.
I used the Edexcel variant and I’d say I think it was worth it, however, the core practicals in AQA chemistry and Edexcel chemistry are different, so you’d have to use the AQA version. I haven’t used the AQA version, but I’d imagine it’s of the same quality.

OK thanks, is it enough to be able to answer any exam q on practicals?
OK thanks, is it enough to be able to answer any exam q on practicals?

Alone, possibly not, as it won’t have every possible practical question in it and dissected. In conjunction with using past papers, definitely yes.
Alone, possibly not, as it won’t have every possible practical question in it and dissected. In conjunction with using past papers, definitely yes.

Thank you
Thread has been moved to A-levels. :yy:
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest