Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite Quotes Watch

ReputationRep:
    A nifty section in Facebook is favourite quotes. What are some of yours?

My personal favourite is this one, from an essay by Carl Sagan, his thoughts on the furthest image of our own planet that we have

"There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

Anyone got any other good ones?

ReputationRep:
    mine says "look at my quotes blog on myspace"
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=136984933

haven't updated it in AGES

ReputationRep:
    life's a *****
    then ya die

ReputationRep:
    "You do not love her because she is beautiful, she is beautiful because you love her" is always a good one

ReputationRep:
    "God gives every bird a worm, but he does not throw it into the nest."
    -Swedish proverb
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you were to die in one hundred days, I would want to die in ninety-nine days so that I would never have to live a day without you (Winnie the Pooh)

ReputationRep:
    "Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. And I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. And I believe... they both might be butter... in a cunning disguise. And, in fact, there's a lot more butter around than we all thought there was."

ReputationRep:
    "despite the high cost of living, it is still popular"

“Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.”

“We Americans live in a nation where the medical-care system is second to none in the world, unless you count maybe 25 or 30 little scuzzball countries like Scotland that we could vaporize in seconds if we felt like it”

“The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.”

“Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.”

Oh, Dave Barry...

ReputationRep:
    My favourite has to be the ancient Chinese proverb:

"Man who sleep with itchy bottom wakes up with smelly finger"

God bless the Chinese :top2:

EDIT: It's Confucius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandellos)
    "despite the high cost of living, it is still popular"
    Hahahahahahha

ReputationRep:
    "But dude! Your **** was epic!" Little Britain USA

ReputationRep:
    Good quotes here keep them coming people it's jolly good fun isn't it!

Err, sorry about that I think I accidently watched the BBC for too long. Here's another quote I love:

"Sweet zombie jesus" Professor Farnsworth from the excellent Futurama

ReputationRep:
    "Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that others won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do."

Marianne Williamson :heart:

and... randomly "It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times?! Stupid monkey!" Mr Burns of Simpsons fame.

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of favourite quotes... none too philosophical, I might add. Here are a few.

"This is the male Velcro: it has hard, sticky-outy bits. This is the female Velcro: it's all soft and furry. You stick the male Velcro here, and the female Velcro goes on top."

"That looks kind of phallic. Oh, wait, it's pi."

"Where? When?" - my brother's response to my text telling him there was a lunar eclipse that night.

Homogenous: "It's pronounced hom-o-gen-uss, not homo-genius. We're not talking about a clever poof."

Edit: Heh.. everyone else is posting quotes of well-known people. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    "You do not love her because she is beautiful, she is beautiful because you love her" is always a good one
    (Original post by Inksplodge)
    If you were to die in one hundred days, I would want to die in ninety-nine days so that I would never have to live a day without you (Winnie the Pooh)
    Aww. :o:

I really like the one in my sig.
    I also like, "If you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're probably right"- Henry Ford.

But really I just love Bertrand Russell's quotes. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    I also like, "If you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're probably right"- Henry Ford.
    Even better coming from Stewie Griffin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I have loads of favourite quotes... none too philosophical, I might add. Here are a few.

"This is the male Velcro: it has hard, sticky-outy bits. This is the female Velcro: it's all soft and furry. You stick the male Velcro here, and the female Velcro goes on top."

"That looks kind of phallic. Oh, wait, it's pi."

"Where? When?" - my brother's response to my text telling him there was a lunar eclipse that night.

Homogenous: "It's pronounced hom-o-gen-uss, not homo-genius. We're not talking about a clever poof."

Edit: Heh.. everyone else is posting quotes of well-known people. Oh well.
    Haha, I'll join you then.
    In response to a fly in a classroom someone I know shouted, "SMASH ITS PASTY" yeh... I go to a weird school. :p:

ReputationRep:
    "Come on, marry me... please... I'll give you a cookie"
    yeah, weird school, at least it was funny.

ReputationRep:
    "Some mother ******* are always trying to ice skate up-hill."
    Blade

"I think nerdy stuff is sexy. I like to watch the History Channel and learn about the universe, quantum physics and stuff like that."
    Tila Tequila

"I want to rip out his heart and feed it to him. I want to kill people. I want to rip their stomachs out and eat their children."
    Mike Tyson

"In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country. I don't know who's told you that we have this."
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.