Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok..I'm applying for a welsh university for sept'09 as a mature student.

I live in wales, but I'm not welsh - I'm english. I have been told by a uni finance advisor that I should be accepted for the welsh assembly grant...now I have been told by a friend that I won't be as I'm not actually welsh nor have I been living in Wales for 5 years. Anyone know what's what? I cannot find the answer anywhere!!

Also; I'm intending on doing foundation in art before doing the fine art degree. Can I apply for a student loan for the foundation? Again, I have been told you can't, and then others have said you can!! This will be a BIG problem for me as I have to have money to cover my living costs (£550-600 a month), and I'll only be able to work and earn so much, working part time will never earn me that amount of money, I do not have the financial support of my mother as she lives back in England and I am not in contact with my father.

Can any kind person give me any info on what I could be able to get loan/grant wise? I have been on the websites for student finance and I'm still unable to find any help, esp for mature students.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how the welsh bits work, but I'm with an LEA in England. The only way you'd get help with the foundation normally is if it was integrated into the actual degree. Usually foundation art isn't, so they are always turned down for finance.

I don't know how it will work for next year though as it's being centralised from where I am. Best bet is to contact Student Finance Wales directly.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I'm doing that tomorrow. The only way around the foundation is if I do it part time over 2 years, and work alongside it, but that's annoying as I really dont want to study for 6 years (foundation+degree+teaching qual). Either that, or I skip the foundation. I'm not so fussed tbh but I guess I should do the foundation to ease myself back into studying.

This whole applying to uni thing is totally frying my brain. I'm yet to even tackle the ucas application!

ReputationRep:
    Jus thought I'd reply again incase anyone else needs the answer, I AM able to apply for the welsh assembly grant as I moved here over a year ago and I didn't move to study, I moved for personal reasons.

So..yay!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.