Turn on thread page Beta

The devils attempt to solve fermats theorem watch

ReputationRep:
    Didnt the devil attempt to solve fermats last theorem? I think he went for help to the guy who could solve partial differential equations in his head, but had no luck.

ReputationRep:
    You're on about the poem or riddle that was (in)famously written about Femat's Last Theorem (discussed in Simon Singh's book)? Basically it went something like that there's a Martian on another planet who can solve partial differential equations (or something harder?) in near-nanoseconds, but "even he couldn't solve Fermat's Last Theorem"?

I can't think of where the devil was worked into this?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was along the lines of someone betting the devil they couldn't solve FLT; and the devil went to ask the person who could solve partial differential equations (on Saturn, I think :/)

Been a while since I read the Singh book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    Didnt the devil attempt to solve fermats last theorem? I think he went for help to the guy who could solve partial differential equations in his head, but had no luck.
    it wasnt the devil. it was me.... :ninja:

Wtf? what a pointless thread, the whole reason that was said was just to show how hard it was to solve it.. no need to take it literally.

ReputationRep:
    what is fermats theorem?

and google is my friend but we fell out recently.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I just solved, while eating nacho's, yesterday night, thats why am on TSR this night

ReputationRep:
    A mathematician has spent years trying to prove the Riemann hypothesis - without success. Finally, he decides to sell
    his soul to the devil in exchange for a proof. The devil promises to deliver a proof within four weeks.

Four weeks pass, but nothing happens. Half a year later, the devil shows up again - in a rather gloomy mood.

"I'm sorry", he says. "I couldn't prove the Riemann hypothesis either. But" - and his face lightens up - "I think I
    found a really interesting lemma..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bachelor)
    A mathematician has spent years trying to prove the Riemann hypothesis - without success. Finally, he decides to sell
    his soul to the devil in exchange for a proof. The devil promises to deliver a proof within four weeks.

Four weeks pass, but nothing happens. Half a year later, the devil shows up again - in a rather gloomy mood.

"I'm sorry", he says. "I couldn't prove the Riemann hypothesis either. But" - and his face lightens up - "I think I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bachelor)

ReputationRep:
    The Devil and Simon Flagg, by Arthur Porges.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 13, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.