Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lately I have been having lucid dreams and false awakenings which is strange because I have never experienced it before now to any degree. I find that I wake up in my student flat, get up and start doing all of the things I would normally do and then suddenly it hits me - bang! - like a brick wall and I just know that it's a dream. For a moment in the dream I feel really scared by this because it just seems so real but then I keep repeating to myself: 'don't be scared or you'll wake up!'
    After that, I can just go and do what I want. This is going to sound really weird, but a few weeks ago I decided to just walk into my lecture theatre and stab a random guy sitting in the front row, just to see his and everyone else's reaction. I haven't done that again because, frankly, it was awful. I don't know what was going through my head. The worst part was that for a split second after I was like: 'what if this is actually real? I just killed someone and now everyone in here is screaming'. Needless to say, it was strange and I felt like crap after I woke up for real.
    Lately, I've just been doing randon stuff like climbing trees or telling people that I'm dreaming (people that I interact with when I'm awake) and their response is often something unrelated or irrelevant like: 'yeah I've got a lecture later too' or 'I'm alright thanks'. Sometimes I just stand in the middle of my lecture theatre and scream a profanity. Also, I don't seem to feel pain in my lucid dreams. For example, in one of my lucid dreams I decided to take a knife to my hand and peel the skin off like it was an onion or something. However, I have felt pain (or thought I felt pain) in my non-lucid dreams before.
    The thing is, while the dreams seem so real, there is always some thing surreal about them too but I can't for the life of me put my finger on what.

It's just so strange . . .

Has anyone else experienced this?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, man, I am so so so so envious of you. Sounds brilliant. Can't believe they're recurring too, and it was all accidentally induced. Lucky!

My friend had a lucid dream at Offworld (this psytrance festival we went to), on the morning of the last day... Dreamt that he was flying around the campsite, going into people's tents and getting blowjobs from fit women. Ahahahahah.

Carry on enjoying your lucid dreaming, mate. I really should start writing a dream diary and such to try and purposefully invoke lucid dreaming. I'd love to be able to do it...

ReputationRep:
    I really want a lucid dream, we are learning about them in Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    Oh, man, I am so so so so envious of you. Sounds brilliant. Can't believe they're recurring too, and it was all accidentally induced. Lucky!

My friend had a lucid dream at Offworld (this psytrance festival we went to), on the morning of the last day... Dreamt that he was flying around the campsite, going into people's tents and getting blowjobs from fit women. Ahahahahah.

Carry on enjoying your lucid dreaming, mate. I really should start writing a dream diary and such to try and purposefully invoke lucid dreaming. I'd love to be able to do it...
    It's odd because I never made a decision while awake to learn how to do it - it just happens! I actually find it quite frightening because it genuinely, genuinely makes me question whether or not I am dreaming all of the time. And I mean that.

ReputationRep:
    I have lucid dreams sometimes, but they're always a bit limited, I don't get quite that level of control!

Usually it's when I'm under stress, if there's something I don't want to or if I've lost something that is important, I dream that I do it and it turns out fine. So I dream I find the thing 've lost (I never actually find said lost item in the place I dreamed it to be unfortunately) or I dream that I did the thing I didn't want to do, and it all turns out a ok.

But, all the time I have this distinct feeling of "it's only a dream, this hasn't actually happened in real life yet" but that if I think about this too much then everything will go wrong. It's really bizzarre.

And slightly depressing when I wake up the next morning and find that I still have to go and explain to my chemistry teacher why I haven't been able to finish her coursework, or my dentist appointment hasn't actually been and gone.

ReputationRep:
    I've never lucid dreamed. REEEEEEEEEEALLY want to though.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I've been having them since I was a wee lass! hehe...Its good tho cos when I have a nightmare, I know I am dreaming and I can simple change my dream. I used to do that when I was younger, however I have been losing my touch, not sure why! sucks!

Also, I used to have dreams about how my relationship will end with my boyfriends and it has all come true, I kid you not! Its a real downer tho cos when I have them I know something bad is guna happen and I tend to distance my self.

ReputationRep:
    I have been a lucid dreamer for two years. I control when I lucid dream, though; I have to be in a certain state of mind before I fall asleep, and I have to put myself there.
    As it is, though, third year stresses have meant that I've not been having lucid dreams in around half a year - sleep has become a necessity more than ever, and I don't sleep easily now. I also never feel awake; so when I'm lying in bed at night, it's now a case of 'get as much sleep as you can' rather than 'have fun controlling your dreams'.
    My dreams are always still vivid and unusual, though. I have very strong dreams every night, and always remember them perfectly upon waking - even if I'm not controlling them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.