The Student Room Group

I dont drink - what shall i do during freshers.

I do not drink dont plan on it at all.

So im going to uni in like 4 weeks what should i do during freshers? Is it still worth buying those dodgy wristbands or going to clubs? I've never been to a club before for reference.

Or is it better to search more non alcohol related things to do during freshers that are alternatives to going to a club?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Torrential1

So im going to uni in like 4 weeks what should i do during freshers? Is it still worth buying those dodgy wristbands or going to clubs? I've never been to a club before for reference.

Or is it better to search more non alcohol related things to do during freshers that are alternatives to going to a club?

Get alcohol free drinks and buy sodas, nobody will care don't worry. Have fun :smile:
I gotta be honest, If you don’t like being in a club packed with tipsy students and listening to loud music while being sober, you’re not gonna like clubbing. It can be fun when you’re sober and with friends but by yourself? Not as much.
Original post by augczx
Get alcohol free drinks and buy sodas, nobody will care don't worry. Have fun :smile:

is speaking to drunk people any fun when your not drunk though?

i heard clubbing is boring if ur not drunk.
Reply 4
is speaking to drunk people any fun when your not drunk though?

i heard clubbing is boring if ur not drunk.

You could meet other people while they're sober and there you have acquaintances. You can always leave if it's not your vibe. Are you in halls? Maybe you could wait until your roommates invite you and try some other fresher activities see if you meet people there and go clubbing with them
Probs just find a group of people that aren’t into drinking x Thats what im planning on doing hopefully
From what you've said, it sounds like you're looking for some non-alcohol related things to do during freshers. Here are some ideas:

-Explore your university campus and get to know your surroundings
-Attend campus events and activities fairs to sign up for clubs and societies
-Get involved with on-campus student media organizations
-Check out local attractions and landmarks near your university
-Take advantage of free or discounted student tickets for museums, concerts, and other events
Original post by lilhuddy
Probs just find a group of people that aren’t into drinking x Thats what im planning on doing hopefully

Original post by EliteEric
From what you've said, it sounds like you're looking for some non-alcohol related things to do during freshers. Here are some ideas:

-Explore your university campus and get to know your surroundings
-Attend campus events and activities fairs to sign up for clubs and societies
-Get involved with on-campus student media organizations
-Check out local attractions and landmarks near your university
-Take advantage of free or discounted student tickets for museums, concerts, and other events

heres the thing, i found some people who dont drink and wanna do some alcohol free events etc.

but im just wondering if i should buy the wristband as well

opportunity to meet more people is an opportunity to meet more people, right?

But if its just gonna be a waste of money + time if im not drinking then its not worth it.
Reply 8
heres the thing, i found some people who dont drink and wanna do some alcohol free events etc.

opportunity to meet more people is an opportunity to meet more people, right?

But if its just gonna be a waste of money + time if im not drinking then its not worth it.

Why would it be a waste of time? You don't need alcohol to have a good time man, not everyone there is going to be completely wasted and raving haha, you might wonder what if if you don't go eh
(edited 1 year ago)
It sounds like you're really weighing the pros and cons of buying a wristband. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether or not you think it will be worth it. However, if you're looking to meet more people, then it could be a good investment. However, if you're not interested in drinking alcohol, then it might not be the best use of your money.

I’d avoid the dodgy wristbands regardless of whether you drink or not. When you move into your dorm, you’ll have a better idea of who’s around and what events are worth signing up for. Club nights aren’t much fun if you don’t drink, and especially not fun if you haven’t got any friends with you.

This will be my fourth year at university and I don’t drink. The first year, I went out and partied and made friends through club nights/pres/afters. For the most part, I wouldn’t recommend it. I ended up being friends entirely with people who’s only personality trait was going to the SU. They then later ditched me when they found more ‘fun’ people to be around.

You are better off going to non-alcoholic freshers events like society meet ups, freshers fair, and sports try outs: then potentially joining them on nights out whether that’s club nights, visiting tourist-y bits of the nearest city, or going to restaurants. That way they’re more likely to stick around because you have something in common other than meeting in a dark room with sticky flooring.

Uni, especially freshers, is so heavily focussed on drinking culture. It might be worth looking at activities in your local town too, I do two sports clubs and an interest group outside of university.
Reply 11
I would focus on joining different societies and selecting from their social events. Clubbing is by and large rubbish unless you’re a natural for it, so drinking heavily is a coping mechanism

:hi: i didn’t drink during freshers and it was fine :yep:
Don’t buy tickets for anything until you’re there (most are scams and prey on new students to fall for it)
Some of the drinking events I did go to were quite fun like the pub quizzes because its based around a specific group activity so it was alright :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I wouldn't buy the wrist bands if I were you - just see if you like it and buy tickets when you're there. To make the wristbands cost effective you often need to go to nearly all of the events which is a lot.

Have a look at which societies you may want to join - most of those won't be based around drinking :smile:
don't drink

Hah let me guess, you're on a group chat and there's 3 or 4 people who all very enthusiastically mention getting the wristband every time someone mentions clubbing? Watch them all suddenly drop out the day before uni starts...
I would not recommend clubbing sober, but you can still go to pre-drinks or pub crawls and have a nice time without drinking alcohol.
Reply 16
Don’t feel pressured to drink alcohol, most universities have sober societies, mocktails, soft drinks.
Hi @Torrential1

I didn’t drink during freshers but still had a great time and got to meet loads of different people which was fun.

I went to a lot of the uni-based events on campus such as film nights and games nights and other events that they organised. It helped me get used to being on campus but also most of the people attending didn’t enjoy clubbing or didn’t drink so it was nice to be able to meet people and make friends without any pressures about going out to have a drink.

You will also have the fresher’s fayre to attend which will have lots of information about different events and activities that you may want to attend without drinking. Along with all the different societies which will likely have a welcome event as well, that will be good to attend and get to know the people and the activities in the society.

I would suggest seeing what non-drinking events there will be going on rather than going to a club, as it will be very busy and loud and got a great place for a chat!

Hope you have a great fresher

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep

Hi there :smile:

It's perfectly fine to not drink at uni! I was surprised at the amount of people I met at uni who either chose not to or had never drunk, it's actually more common than you might thing. Whilst I cant speak on behalf of every uni, I know that at Kent we have numerous freshers events that aren't related to drinking at all. In freshers week there are activities like sports, rock climbing, arts and crafts, quizzes, games nights, Pool, Kareoke coffee morning and the list goes on. None of these are necessarily drinking related.
Going to the freshers fair is also a great social activity to do with friends/flatmates. There are usually lots of stalls advertising societies and you can collect freebies or grab some food. You can sign up to societies that interest you and its a great way to meet like minded people. Lots of societies offer a taster session so my advice would be to go to as many of these as you can during your first few weeks and meet people.

As for other non drinking related activities, my flat and I decided to cook a meal together to get to know each other. We went to the local coop to buy ingredients and had a chilled evening playing cards and listening to music. You could also join a freshers group chat or find your course group chat and pop a message in there to see if anyone wants to meet up. Some suggestions could be going out for lunch or a coffee or even just a walk around campus to explore. I remember lots of people did this in first year and everyone is very open and keen to meet people.
In terms of the evening, it is completely up to you whether you want to go clubbing or not. Many of my friends come out clubbing and they still have fun without drinking. Clubbing is mostly about the music and vibes so if you think you will enjoy that type of atmosphere then definitely go for it. If you're not certain that you will enjoy it then I would probably avoid buying a wristband just because they aren't always worth the money if you don't go out every night. You can always go out one night with your flatmates and just buy a ticket at the door. That way if you don't like it you don't have to go again and you can always leave early too if you don't feel comfortable (just make sure you find a safe way home).

Hope this helps! Have a lovely time at uni and let me know if theres anything I can help with

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep:biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Use the time to explore the town. So many students have no idea where they live

Quick Reply