Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How does a "British Overseas Territory" actually work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've never quite understood the concept of a BOT, such as Gibraltar. When you're in Gibraltar, are you in Britain or are you in a foreign country? Where do the residence stand in regards to citizenship? I'm told that residents of BOT are technically British citizens, yet actually have no right to abode in the UK, only their BOT.

The whole concept makes very little sense to me, why does Britain hold onto territories that it seemingly has little to do with?

ReputationRep:
    they are still classed as part of britain from wat i know.and most the the places we srtill hold onto are in stratgic places like gibraltar.they are all british citizens.

ReputationRep:
    Gibraltan have British citenzship and as far as I'm aware residents of BOTs do have the right to abode in the UK. I think ownage of these territories is up to the citizens, I think Montserratians(see my flag) were given the right to vote on whether or not to be independant of Britain, but they voted against it.

Other places like Gibraltar and the Falklands Islands are kept for historical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Gibraltan have British citenzship and as far as I'm aware residents of BOTs do have the right to abode in the UK. I think ownage of these territories is up to the citizens, I think Montserratians(see my flag) were given the right to vote on whether or not to be independant of Britain, but they voted against it.

Other places like Gibraltar and the Falklands Islands are kept for historical reasons.
    I take it you're Montserratian? So, when you're physically in Montserrat, would you consider yourself to be also in the UK/Britian technically speaking, or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I take it you're Montserratian? So, when you're physically in Montserrat, would you consider yourself to be also in the UK/Britian technically speaking, or not?
    You're not in the UK, you're in a possession of the UK. Whether you are in Britain or not is a matter of personal opinion, since Britain is not a strictly defined concept. You're certainly on British territory.

ReputationRep:
    Where do the residence stand in regards to citizenship? I'm told that residents of BOT are technically British citizens, yet actually have no right to abode in the UK, only their BOT.
    So far as I'm aware, all BOT-ers can apply for British citizenship and will be (near enough) automatically granted it, but it is not an automatic status they hold - unless they do apply, they are born and remain British Overseas Territories citizens with 'belonger status' to their particular BOT.

This allows for BOT to exclude other British citizens from emigrating there, en masse, which would simply leave them as retirement resorts for the English.

The whole concept makes very little sense to me, why does Britain hold onto territories that it seemingly has little to do with?
    Basically because they're not capable of governing themselves, in some cases we hope to get some oil out of it, and in others they have strategic military bases.

That and a sense of doing what is right by our own people, and being able to say the sun never sets on the British Empire.

ReputationRep:
    OK, off the top of my head, they are the last of our colonies. They all have British citizenship. A lot are strategic militarily, others are kept because they couldn't function independently of the UK as a country and some because they chose (Gibraltar and the Falklands) in a referendum to remain as such.

ReputationRep:
    Been to Gibraltar, the Spanish hate the English ownership and want it back. It's a tax and VAT haven.

Pitcairn Island is also a British Oversea Territory!

ReputationRep:
    I was born in England and have lived here for my whole life. My mum was born there, and so by birth she is a British Citizen. I've never heard of a Montserratian passport, by default Montserratians are British. My grandparents didn't have to apply for any residency rights to live in the UK, because as British Citizens, they already had the right to live here. Though, of course, that was many many years ago, and the rules may have changed since then. In 1996 there was a small eruption of one of the volcanoes, and loads of Monteserratians just up and left and came to the UK, so as little as 12 years ago, it was fine to move from one place to another.

I've never been to Montserrat, but from what my mum's told me, it's quite similar to other english speaking West Indian islands(not that I've been to any of those islands). I would consider myself to still be in Britain if I were there, though of course a very different part of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I was born in England and have lived here for my whole life. My mum was born there, and so by birth she is a British Citizen. I've never heard of a Montserratian passport, by default Montserratians are British.
    Nope.

Here's an example of an Overseas Territory passport (for Gib): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...r_Passport.gif

Note it has 'EU' on it too. That would not be the case with a Montserrat one, since they are not EU citizens.

It would appear all people who were BOT citizens became automatically British citizens on 21 May 2002, however people who become BOT citizens after that date must apply for British citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Nope.

Here's an example of an Overseas Territory passport (for Gib): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...r_Passport.gif

Note it has 'EU' on it too. That would not be the case with a Montserrat one, since they are not EU citizens.

It would appear all people who were BOT citizens became automatically British citizens on 21 May 2002, however people who become BOT citizens after that date must apply for British citizenship.

The guy says he is from Montserrat, and claims he knows nothing of a passport from there. All Montserrat citizens can register as British citizens. Montserrat has a population of 9,000 apparently. Putting that together, it makes sense that they would not issue their own passport and instead use a British passport. No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    The guy says he is from Montserrat, and claims he knows nothing of a passport from there. All Montserrat citizens can register as British citizens. Montserrat has a population of 9,000 apparently. Putting that together, it makes sense that they would not issue their own passport and instead use a British passport. No?
    Well, not really, specifically for the ones who have no interest in registering as British citizens; plus it is a status only recently given.

The Government of Montserrat definitely does issue passports in the name of the Governor. Website here.

In fact, after a bit of tracking down, I've managed to find a (possibly outdated, although I can find references to it from not that long ago) Montserrat Passport:

ReputationRep:
    We keep out BOTs for a number of reasons. For one thing, the people living there believe being part of Britain is better for them than being independent. If we let the Falklands secede, the Argentines would be in like a shot; as would the Spaniards into Gibraltar.

They're also important to us strategically. Gibraltar in particular means we still have an influence (albeit minimal in today's world) over the entrance to the Mediterranean.
    Many of our BOTs have some sort of military presence, which gives us a bit more clout.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.