Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Let me break this down for you:

I'm 18, taking a gap year in 09/10. I've applied for and Archeology and I want some part of my life to be spent in Rome.

Now, I don't speak Italian, and I'm not a native English speaker (I'm Serbian).

Does anyone know anything I could arrange to spend a couple of months in Rome? Work as some sort of tutor, educator, volunteer etc. in an english-speaking company there? Maybe teach my language, as I can't teach English (not enough experience)?

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and ps. I would love to, for e.g. lead a tourist group, work with kids, teach a language, things like that.

ReputationRep:
    all the jobs that u mentioned are hardly accessible to you in my opinion, plus consider that working with tourists groups doesn't pay well, in fact the pay is terrible low and most of the times you'll not have a real contract.
    an employ in a pub, bar, restaurant is more likely for u, there are plenty of places for turists in the center where foreign guys and girls who wants to spend some months in Rome are employed.
    volunteer= no wage...
    teaching your language? very hard to find something...
    however it's most of the times it's hard to find a decent job also for romans so u can figure out what the situation is.
    maybe u'll be lucky and get a good job in clubs (many PR employ foreign girl), schools or anything else. u never know... try for few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    thank you. do you know where I could get some info online? It'd be kind of risky to just come to Piazza Navona and ask people around "Excuse me,do you hire?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enthusiast)
    thank you. do you know where I could get some info online? It'd be kind of risky to just come to Piazza Navona and ask people around "Excuse me,do you hire?"
    ahahah yes I guess u can imagine the consequences....

I could only give u few links that comes out from google but they are all in italian and honestly I don't think will benefit much from these sites:
    http://www.romalavoro.net/

this is a very popular newspaper for ads in rome and u can find also a job sector, at the top left of the page, under "rubriche" u can find "lavoro"
    http://www.portaportese.it/index.jsp

as I told u, probably the best thing would be to arrive with a sum of money necessay for the first few weeks and search for something specially in shops/pubs in the center...
    contact me if u need further help.
    good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.