The Student Room Group

Hours of Revision/Studying after school GCSEs

I will be going into Year 10 in less than 2 weeks from now and I have been wondering recently how many hours of revision I should be aiming to do after school in Year 10. I know it's not very helpful to think of revision in terms of hours and instead based on how effective it is but I do need some type of guidance on how much I should be doing.
Also I'm a bit unsure how to do my timetable after school in terms of how many subjects to do per day, what subjects to do together and for how long so if you have any tips of what worked for you, please let me know.

For context these are the GCSEs I will be taking:

English Language
English Literature
Maths
Further Maths (probably but haven't begun the course yet– will start in the middle of Year 10)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
Religious Studies
Drama

thanks in advance
Reply 1
After school just go over anything you didn’t understand in lessons
id say for the first month or so just relax and focus on settling in and making really good notes in each subject. maybe read them back over once you get home but this shouldn't really take more than 20 or so minutes.

then, after that first month, everyday, try and make a couple of flashcards after school of the content that you studied that day. i recommend getting some sort of checklist to make sure you have created revision resources for each topic. maybe use the spec. then perhaps take about an hour or so out of your weekend to just check over all your flashcards and make sure you have made all the ones you want to make and just fill in the gaps. you could also perhaps take this opportunity to start memorising the flashcards you have made. make sure these flashcards are good as well bc these are most likely going to be the ones you use for actual gsces

you should keep making really good notes throughout and if you ever have any gaps, ask a friend who you know has good notes for a copy of theirs or use a textbook.

exam season: its really up to you how much you revise bc idk much about you and the way you study lol. what worked for me was 1 hour everyday on top of making flashcards (which are already made this is just filling the gaps). and then at weekends id bump this up about 3/4 hours on saturday (i had a lot of free time), and about 1.5 hrs on sunday as this is usually a day where id have some family time. you can change it around and stuff.

also make sure you're adjusting the time you spend on revision based on how you revise. i didnt do this in year 10 but i did in yr 11 and i really wish i did it in year 10-you should have revision sessions based on goals rather than time. eg i would tell myself that right okay tonight i need to make at least 20 new flashcards for geography and i need to do a practice essay rs rather than telling myself okay im going to sit down and do whatever i can in an hour bc maybe id only make about 10 flashcards or something. does that make sense lol i dont think it does but hey ho

now for subject specifics
maths-practice questions are the only way to go icl unless ur learning formulae and stuff then flashcards are good for that
english-flashcards for quotes and then practice essays and GET THEM MARKED!! this helped me so much in yr 11
physics-flashcards for formulae and practice using them. also flashcards for different concepts and stuff but past paper questions are going to be so useful!!
chem-same as above
biology-same as above but also blurting is really good for those topics that are super content heavy
rs-idk how to explain this but get potential essay questions, plan them briefly (points for different viewpoints) and then put them on a flashcard (they only have about a handful of topics they can ask you so content between flashcards will defo overlap). do this as well w topics like abortion, euthanasia etc etc (put FOR points on one flashcard and AGAINST points on another flashcard). ALSO, do full past papers in timed conditions bc this subject defo pressured me for time. get them marked too
spanish-i did french but the same principles apply. use memrise for pre made flashcards (you can usually search ur textbook and find flashcards already made for it). get a grammar textbook and do the exercises over and over again. when you get to yr 11, memorise your speaking questions really well bc then, you can use them for the actual writing exam too (i literally wrote out alllll my topic 3 questions in my writing exam). this is defo one of the subjects where you get out what you put in. GO TO ALL THE CLINICS/TOP-UPS AS WELL
geo is basically the same as rs but mindmaps helped me w this one too
havent done drama so cant give much advice about that hahaha
i did further maths and quit 1 month in-be prepared for the lessons or be prepared to die

in terms of what subjects you should revise each day, you should make a revision timetable for exam seasons (giving more slots to more difficult subjects) and on non exam season days, just run over stuff you did that day

honestly most of this advice is yr 11 advice but its good to get into a habit now-just take all this advice and take in down about 10 notches hahaha. just enjoy this year. its very free and calm. good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest