The Student Room Group

Applying to university with AS levels

I finished my As and I got a bad grade, if I do my A levels, can I only show them my A level report (and IGCSE of course)?
Original post by Zackkk1
I finished my As and I got a bad grade, if I do my A levels, can I only show them my A level report (and IGCSE of course)?

Your UCAS application has to show all grades achieved in external [ie not school marked] exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Your UCAS application has to show all grades achieved in external [ie not school marked] exams.

I see, so let's say I have good A levels and bad As, will it affect whether they accept me or not(for UCAS)?
Original post by Zackkk1
I see, so let's say I have good A levels and bad As, will it affect whether they accept me or not(for UCAS)?

I assume you are applying with predicted grades and not already having completed the full A level? As said above, you have to declare all grades you have achieved.

How much your AS levels will matter depends on where you are sitting your exams - if you are in England, your AS levels don't form part of your final grade, so whilst universities may take them into consideration they are not the be all and end all, especially since most other applicants from England won't have taken them. However, if you are an international student or taking exams in Wales or NI, then they may well contribute to your final A level grade and therefore if you have really failed them then there is a limit as to what final A level grade you can obtain, so these results will matter a lot more. If that is your situation then you might want to look into repeating a year depending on how bad your grade was/what grade you hope to achieve at A2. If you don't want to do that or are an English student, then your best bet is to work hard on improving your knowledge and try and prove to your teachers that you deserve a good predicted grade
Reply 4
Original post by juicygcse
I assume you are applying with predicted grades and not already having completed the full A level? As said above, you have to declare all grades you have achieved.

How much your AS levels will matter depends on where you are sitting your exams - if you are in England, your AS levels don't form part of your final grade, so whilst universities may take them into consideration they are not the be all and end all, especially since most other applicants from England won't have taken them. However, if you are an international student or taking exams in Wales or NI, then they may well contribute to your final A level grade and therefore if you have really failed them then there is a limit as to what final A level grade you can obtain, so these results will matter a lot more. If that is your situation then you might want to look into repeating a year depending on how bad your grade was/what grade you hope to achieve at A2. If you don't want to do that or are an English student, then your best bet is to work hard on improving your knowledge and try and prove to your teachers that you deserve a good predicted grade

No I mean once I finish my A levels (and hopefully they are good) will the AS affect my getting accepted into ucas
Original post by Zackkk1
No I mean once I finish my A levels (and hopefully they are good) will the AS affect my getting accepted into ucas

I'm slightly confused. If you are going to university straight from school and are applying through UCAS, then you would be applying in your final year of school before you take your A levels (so if you have just finished year 12, then you would be applying in the next few months). You don't get accepted or rejected from UCAS itself, UCAS is a means by which you can apply to universities, who will then decide on an individual basis whether to accept or reject you. This will usually be on the basis of a conditional offer, aka you need to receive certain final A level grades to get in. In this case, AS grades could affect whether you receive an offer and, if they form a part of your A Level, could affect whether you meet their conditional offer.

If you are planning on taking a gap year or something similar, then you can apply with your achieved A level results, and in that situation your AS grades are unlikely to mean much.
Reply 6
Original post by juicygcse
I'm slightly confused. If you are going to university straight from school and are applying through UCAS, then you would be applying in your final year of school before you take your A levels (so if you have just finished year 12, then you would be applying in the next few months). You don't get accepted or rejected from UCAS itself, UCAS is a means by which you can apply to universities, who will then decide on an individual basis whether to accept or reject you. This will usually be on the basis of a conditional offer, aka you need to receive certain final A level grades to get in. In this case, AS grades could affect whether you receive an offer and, if they form a part of your A Level, could affect whether you meet their conditional offer.

If you are planning on taking a gap year or something similar, then you can apply with your achieved A level results, and in that situation your AS grades are unlikely to mean much.

Yes, that's what I meant to say. I'm taking a gap year after year 12, and I am going to apply to the UCAS during the time of my gap year.
Original post by Zackkk1

Pardon me if I'm starting from the basics but i think its good to cover all corners. I think maybe understanding the timelines will help. The UCAS application ends before A level exams, hence you will not be able to submit you A level results to the universities and they will not know about it when deciding whether they should give you the offer. For your UCAS application you will only be applying with your predicted A level grades and your AS grade. Heres where it starts getting abit different. If you are taking Cambridge International Exams (CIE), then submission of AS grade is absolutely mandatory as it takes up 50% of your overall A2 grade. However if you take any other exam board, e.g: AQA, Edexcel, OCR. Then although AS will not not contribute to your overall grade, I doubt your school will allow you to not submit your AS grade (talk to your school about this). Having a bad AS grade would slightly disadvantage your application, but is not as important as your A2 predicted grades. It is not the make or break component of your UCAS application as things like personal statements also weigh in heavy in a UCAS application. Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by chinjyanson
Pardon me if I'm starting from the basics but i think its good to cover all corners. I think maybe understanding the timelines will help. The UCAS application ends before A level exams, hence you will not be able to submit you A level results to the universities and they will not know about it when deciding whether they should give you the offer. For your UCAS application you will only be applying with your predicted A level grades and your AS grade. Heres where it starts getting abit different. If you are taking Cambridge International Exams (CIE), then submission of AS grade is absolutely mandatory as it takes up 50% of your overall A2 grade. However if you take any other exam board, e.g: AQA, Edexcel, OCR. Then although AS will not not contribute to your overall grade, I doubt your school will allow you to not submit your AS grade (talk to your school about this). Having a bad AS grade would slightly disadvantage your application, but is not as important as your A2 predicted grades. It is not the make or break component of your UCAS application as things like personal statements also weigh in heavy in a UCAS application. Hope this helps!

Is this for IAl Edexcel or GCE Edexcel?

Quick Reply

Latest