The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to cambridge?

Hi, I’m having a bit of a crisis and I really don’t know what to do. I’m considering applying to Cambridge for natural sciences for entry in 2023. I received my a level grades last week and got A*A*A* in biology chemistry and maths. But my GCSE’s are not great I had a mental health issue and missed quite a bit of school. My stats for gcses are:
English language - 7
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chem - 8
Physics - 7
History - 6
English lit - 5
Food - 2
So I only got 7 GCSE’s
Is there any chance of me getting in or is it silly to apply? Thanks for any advice
Original post by Chloe Groves
Hi, I’m having a bit of a crisis and I really don’t know what to do. I’m considering applying to Cambridge for natural sciences for entry in 2023. I received my a level grades last week and got A*A*A* in biology chemistry and maths. But my GCSE’s are not great I had a mental health issue and missed quite a bit of school. My stats for gcses are:
English language - 7
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chem - 8
Physics - 7
History - 6
English lit - 5
Food - 2
So I only got 7 GCSE’s
Is there any chance of me getting in or is it silly to apply? Thanks for any advice

Hi, I'd definitely apply considering your amazing A-level results. It seems to me that Cambridge in particular don't fuss too much over GCSE grades and will be much more interested in your A-level results which are more fitting to the degree you want to pursue. I also got my results last week and might apply to Cambridge after my gap year!
English language - 7
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chem - 8
Physics - 7
History - 6
English lit - 5
Food - 2
So I only got 7 GCSE’s

Just look at those amazing a level grades! I know you have had a tough time with your GCSEs, but you have definitely stepped up to the plate since. Cambridge look far more kindly on gcse grades so why not go for it! Do do some independent research though into an area of natural sciences you are interested in
English language - 7
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chem - 8
Physics - 7
History - 6
English lit - 5
Food - 2
So I only got 7 GCSE’s

If you want to apply for cambridge, go for it. Your a-level grades are amazing. As long as you apply to 4 other schools you would be happy to go to, with at least 1 or 2 you think you will almost definitely be accepted into, there's absolutely no harm in applying to cambridge. Do bear in mind though, your PS needs to be strong. Generally, Cambridge says that at least 80% of it should be about activities directly related to the degree you apply for.
Reply 4
English language - 7
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chem - 8
Physics - 7
History - 6
English lit - 5
Food - 2
So I only got 7 GCSE’s

Hello! I’m going to Downing College for Law this October and I’d like to say GCSEs aren’t the be all and end all they’re used as performance indicators, but if you already have your A Level grades (and potentially submit an extenuating circumstances form explaining the GCSE grades) I doubt they’d care because you proved your worth when it came to A Levels. :smile: You can totally do it!

Quick Reply

Latest