Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    From what point are they persistant? Please explain to me how ignoring all of them and being standoffish, causes you less grief than if you talk to a few and then act standoffish once you want them to understand you're not interested?
    I really don't see what about this is so hard to understand. Let's assume a girl goes out to have fun with her girlfriends and *not* to meet guys.
    Scenario 1: she's friendly to guys = she risks getting harrassed by drunk psychos.
    Scenario 2: she ignores all guys = seriously decreased risk of psychos following her around.
    Try and see it from her point of view. It's really not that strange.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you're "the old lady", mid twenties is fine! Some of my mates at uni are mid twenties.

It will definetly happen at some point, you'll meet someone and I think he is going to be quite lucky, you seem like a nice girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicky Nitro)
    I wouldn't say you're "the old lady", mid twenties is fine! Some of my mates at uni are mid twenties.

It will definetly happen at some point, you'll meet someone and I think he is going to be quite lucky, you seem like a nice girl
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linda helena)
    Scenario 2: she ignores all guys = seriously decreased risk of psychos following her around.
    I disagree with that. A psycho will choose you as a target no matter what.

It's not like you're the first girl to tell me this. :rolleyes: More than 10 years ago, when I was starting to go out to bars and clubs, female friends would tell me this.

Just because you give a guy 30 seconds or a minute to listen to what a guy has to say and maybe reply a thing or two back, he will not choose you as a "target". If at any point in the conversation, you sense something fishy, you just end it.

The trouble is, you have to be strong-minded and have a strong personality. If you're the kind of girl who has trouble saying "no" and are always concerned about causing a negative reaction in someone, then yes you're going to have more trouble making guys understand you're not interested. You'll probably let things drag on, because you're not in control of the conversation and where things are going.

I know girls (they're a special few though) who are never rude to guys in clubs, but know exactly when to stop the conversation, how to make a guy understand they're not interested and will never let anything happen that they don't want to happen. Sure, they're the strong-minded type who don't get walked over.

I've been in situations where, when asking a girl where the toilets are, I've been told "sorry I have a boyfriend". :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that the girls who complain the most about psychos, in my situation, are the ones who have let a guy they're not interested in, smooth-talk them into kissing them or whatever and then complain about the fact they can't get rid of them. If you know how to be strong-minded, this never happens.

There are weirdoes all over the place, wherever you go and to avoid any of them talking to you, you can just ignore everyone you ever come across. If you just restrict yourself to a small circle of friends, then yes, you won't meet as many new people. Some people are happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with that. A psycho will choose you as a target no matter what.

It's not like you're the first girl to tell me this. :rolleyes: More than 10 years ago, when I was starting to go out to bars and clubs, female friends would tell me this.

Just because you give a guy 30 seconds or a minute to listen to what a guy has to say and maybe reply a thing or two back, he will not choose you as a "target". If at any point in the conversation, you sense something fishy, you just end it.

The trouble is, you have to be strong-minded and have a strong personality. If you're the kind of girl who has trouble saying "no" and are always concerned about causing a negative reaction in someone, then yes you're going to have more trouble making guys understand you're not interested. You'll probably let things drag on, because you're not in control of the conversation and where things are going.

I know girls (they're a special few though) who are never rude to guys in clubs, but know exactly when to stop the conversation, how to make a guy understand they're not interested and will never let anything happen that they don't want to happen. Sure, they're the strong-minded type who don't get walked over.

I've been in situations where, when asking a girl where the toilets are, I've been told "sorry I have a boyfriend". :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that the girls who complain the most about psychos, in my situation, are the ones who have let a guy they're not interested in, smooth-talk them into kissing them or whatever and then complain about the fact they can't get rid of them. If you know how to be strong-minded, this never happens.

There are weirdoes all over the place, wherever you go and to avoid any of them talking to you, you can just ignore everyone you ever come across. If you just restrict yourself to a small circle of friends, then yes, you won't meet as many new people. Some people are happy with that.
    And if you've heard it all before from others, I really don't see why you need to hear it all again from me. Let's end this conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Well, like I told you earlier, I usually don't ignore guys when I go out, so you're preaching to the converted.
    Well if you approach guys you like the look of, are open to them approaching you and are proactive about it then you'll meet someone soon.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you approach guys you like the look of, are open to them approaching you and are proactive about it then you'll meet someone soon.
    Again, preaching to the converted.

ReputationRep:
    Again, preaching to the converted.
    Probably a rehash of what others have said, but try joining clubs. Maybe a sports club or similar interesting activity?

There is bound to be someone there. Meeting people is key

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.