Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)
    Not alot really goes on in York, though there are good people around if you find them. I know a few people at both uni's, all of them older than 20 funnily enough, never seem to meet anyone in their first year.. i've noticed that most 18 - 19 year olds tend to go to the worst places on nights out, places where you definatly wouldn't want to meet anyone.
    Probably the same places I've been going to then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    It probably would be more acceptable to some people but not to me, I go for 21-27ish.

I dunno how I met my mates who arent students really, I suppose they were friends of friends etc but you meet a lot of people by working. I've been working my new job a week and know half the staff room now.

And, ofcourse, TSR is a good way to meet people, no joke.
    Someone else mentioned that earlier as well, but ahh, I don't know if I want to get a job just to find guys. :P

I do have one friend in York who's not at uni, and I met him here at TSR! *waves to Drewski*

ReputationRep:
    What a host of rubbish replies.
    Nobody ever meets a boy/girlfriend in a nightclub. They tend to be either friends of friends, people from the same department at uni, or people from a club or society. Those are the kind of places you should be looking. Try joining the Postgrad Societies or going to their events, or try making friends with the PhD students in your department!
    In general, the wider circle of friends you have the more chance of meeting someone you like. Join some clubs. Play softball. Act in a play. Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    What a host of rubbish replies.
    Nobody ever meets a boy/girlfriend in a nightclub.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linda helena)
    What puts me off the guys I meet here? They're immature, irresponsible, their idea of a good time means drawing penises all over their face, walking around from bar to bar singing dirty songs about girls fingering themselves and getting so wasted they end up in the hospital. Oh, and then there are the other ones, who are so painfully shy they'd never even speak to me. That pretty much sums up my male uni mates. :P
    ****, they sound like *******.

I think you're problem is you sound like a right stuck-up *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think you're problem is you sound like a right stuck-up *****.
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    *GRUNCH*
    This is my situation:
    Female, in my mid-twenties, recently moved to England to go to uni here (I'm an undergrad). I'm living in halls with a bunch of other freshers, who are all 18/19. I'm okay with being 'the old lady', apart from the fact that it seems impossible to find a boyfriend! I've been single for quite a long time now (we're talking years here) - partly because I wanted to, partly because I didn't want to attach myself to anyone before moving abroad. But now I'm here, in England, I'm going to be here for a long time and I'd love to meet someone, but it's just so f***ing hard! I do have friends here, I go out, I've joined societes and I'm taking language classes, but I am yet to find any guys my age, let alone guys who are actually interesting! What to do?
    Ah, I see the problem!

This can be solved in three easy questions:

1) Why do you want a relationship?
    2) What sort of men are you attracted to?
    3) What sort of men do you want a relationship with?

Answer those and you'll be at least halfway there.

It really annoys me, girls like you. "I want a boyfriend" like you just want to pluck anyone out of mid-air.

Some silly girl I know said the same to me, how she 'wants a boyfriend' but isn't sure whether to go with the guy a year younger than her of whom she doesn't really like, or the other two faint possibilities which don't like her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)
    *GRUNCH*

Ah, I see the problem!

This can be solved in three easy questions:

1) Why do you want a relationship?
    2) What sort of men are you attracted to?
    3) What sort of men do you want a relationship with?

Answer those and you'll be at least halfway there.
    The problem, which I suppose I didn't explain very well in my first post since it seems most people have misunderstood it, is that I hardly meet any people my age, which makes it *very* hard to find someone to start a relationship with.

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me, girls like you. "I want a boyfriend" like you just want to pluck anyone out of mid-air.

Some silly girl I know said the same to me, how she 'wants a boyfriend' but isn't sure whether to go with the guy a year younger than her of whom she doesn't really like, or the other two faint possibilities which don't like her.
    Haha I didn't mean it like that! How about 'I've been single for a long time and now I'm starting to feel that it'd be nice to meet someone'? It's not that I want to pluck someone out of mid-air, quite the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linda helena)
    The problem, which I suppose I didn't explain very well in my first post since it seems most people have misunderstood it, is that I hardly meet any people my age, which makes it *very* hard to find someone to start a relationship with.
    In my opinion, the age thing is secondary to your focus here. (Not that it's not important. From MY point of view: Sex with 19 year old women :yep:
    A relationship with 99.9999999% of them? :nah: )

(This next bit might go over your head because English isn't your first language, but work with me here).

I'd love to meet someone, but it's just so f***ing hard! I do have friends here, I go out, I've joined societes and I'm taking language classes, but I am yet to find any guys my age, let alone guys who are actually interesting!
    You want a boyfriend, the problem here is you are focused on the problems in finding someone suitable. In other words, rather than moving towards what you want, you are moving AWAY from what you don't want. You go out, you don't expect to meet a decent guy, guess what......................

You don't meet a decent guy!

'I've been single for a long time and now I'm starting to feel that it'd be nice to meet someone'
    This is MUCH better though. Notice the difference between the two quotes?

As my uncle on the West coast says: "What you intend, is just around the bend!"

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, the age thing is secondary to your focus here. (Not that it's not important. From MY point of view: Sex with 19 year old women :yep:
    A relationship with 99.9999999% of them? :nah: )

(This next bit might go over your head because English isn't your first language, but work with me here).

You want a boyfriend, the problem here is you are focused on the problems in finding someone suitable. In other words, rather than moving towards what you want, you are moving AWAY from what you don't want. You go out, you don't expect to meet a decent guy, guess what......................

You don't meet a decent guy!

As my uncle on the West coast says: "What you intend, is just around the bend!"
    I don't agree with you. I haven't been in England long enough to be expecting things. I had no idea what it would be like here, so it's not true that I go out not expecting to find a decent guy. What I've said in this thread is what I've found in the few weeks I've been here.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I am in pretty much the same situation, except I haven't really tried to find a gf :dontknow:

if/when I do it will have to be someone over 21 though..

ReputationRep:

That might sound very different to you, but that was just a different way of expressing what I'm looking for and what I want.. which is far easier when it's not 2 am and I'm in the middle of writing an essay, which was the case when I wrote my first posts.

ReputationRep:
    Join a book club or something. Hm, I suppose the internet could help you too.

ReputationRep:
    i want a gf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Join a book club or something.
    Maybe a bridge club? :P

ReputationRep:
    you're swedish and look pretty good? where's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p78edu)
    you're swedish and look pretty good? where's the problem?
    That I don't meet any guys my age.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.