Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Is Phantom of the Opera a musical?
    I believe [though correct me if I'm wrong] it's actually an operetta.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know about since AIDS....ALW was around in the seventies, long before we were forced to sit through RENT (sorry, I shouldn't be a hater in a thread like this). AIDS gave us Elegies I guess...
    Andyes, of course Phantom is a musical!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd hardly class it as for children. So the OP is partially wrong. More correct would be "Most musicals are for children".
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Probablya certain couple of people harping on about them at length :angel: and a certain thread starters trolling streak.
    Grrr at the trolls. Clearly I've missed all the action!

I do sometimes like to harp on about musicals though, I just don't do it on the forums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I believe [though correct me if I'm wrong] it's actually an operetta.
    You're wrong, it's a musical

ReputationRep:
    Hate stuff like High School Musical and Grease

Love stuff like High Society and Singin' in the rain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Grrr at the trolls. Clearly I've missed all the action!

I do sometimes like to harp on about musicals though, I just don't do it on the forums
    I harp on everywhere :angels:

I wouldn't even say most musicals are for kids, just a handful, namely the disney ones, Joseph and Cats from the sorta musical theatre canon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    And I wish people would stop taking them so seriously.

MB
    Don't agree. Some musicals (HSM, Lion King etc) are at least partially designed for children - however those are generally Disney so it comes with the territory. The big exception to the Disney rule is The Wizard Of Oz, which appeals to nearly everybody - though primarily for children.

However, I don't think anyone could really say that something such as The Phantom of the Opera is "for kids" - nor many others which could be mentioned.

Also, how come the West End is still surviving (and well) with new productions and classics still flourishing with eager new audience members if they are only for children??

Perhaps you would like to expand on your initial post, seems at the moment to be a spur on the moment attack.

ReputationRep:
    You're wrong, it's a musical

I'll be having words with the writer of that pub quiz I did 2 years ago then :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielWhit)
    Don't agree. Some musicals (HSM, Lion King etc) are at least partially designed for children - however those are generally Disney so it comes with the territory. The big exception to the Disney rule is The Wizard Of Oz, which appeals to nearly everybody - though primarily for children.
    Overrated drivel.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I harp on everywhere :angels:

I wouldn't even say most musicals are for kids, just a handful, namely the disney ones, Joseph and Cats from the sorta musical theatre canon.
    Harping is a lot of fun :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, shall I edit it to "musicals are for the culturally stunted, whether they be ignorant (in the case of children), or stupid (in the case of adults)"?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I'll be having words with the writer of that pub quiz I did 2 years ago then :p:
    Bring him to me :evil:

Not to mention children can't afford £65 tickets!

ReputationRep:
    Les miserable is aimed at children then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Overrated drivel.
    Nice to see a reasoned argument there.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, shall I edit it to "musicals are for the culturally stunted, whether they be ignorant (in the case of children), or stupid (in the case of adults)"?

MB

Define "culturally stunted"
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

MB
    Ouch

Seriously, could you elaborate? I seem to have missed whatever has prompted this reaction. Is it musicals themselves or just people's reactions to it?

ReputationRep:

MB

And the 10 Oscars awarded to West Side Story were an accident, too?

ReputationRep:
    Define "culturally stunted"
    I think he's chosen that description instead of "working class".

ReputationRep:

MB
    I wouldn't call myself "stupid", and would like to express that musicals are a very good combination of several different art forms if performed and constructed well (those are acting, dancing, singing along with creativity).

I may think that rap music (e.g.) is absolutely pointless, however if I were to argue this point then I would at least try to reason my point rather than just stating a opinion as though it is fact.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.