Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Darren Bent V Jermaine Defoe Watch

• View Poll Results: Darren Bent V Jermaine Defoe
    Jermaine Defoe
    85.37%
    Darren Bent
    14.63%

ReputationRep:
    i've been having a arguement with a mate about who we think is the better striker so i thought id ask you lot and see what you thought.

Darren Bent or Jermaine Defoe

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a lot in it I don't think, both good premiership strikers, both not really up to England standard.

ReputationRep:
    It's Jermain.

In more ways than one.

ReputationRep:
    Defoe by a country mile. Also disagree with Ed. and think Defoe is good enough for England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR`)
    Defoe by a country mile. Also disagree with Ed. and think Defoe is good enough for England.
    Hmm, hasn't he played 30+ games scoring only a handful of goals ? Stats aren't everything, but....

ReputationRep:
    Defoe. Defoe is basically Andy Cole, only skinnier and shorter.

Bent is deadly when he can get on a good run of form. I think people criticise him too much because of his price tag but then again sometimes he has shocking misses. I don't think his overall play is better than Defoe.

(Original post by Ed.)
    Hmm, hasn't he played 30+ games scoring only a handful of goals ? Stats aren't everything, but....
    A lot of those caps have been substitute appearances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)

Bent is deadly when he can get on a good run of form. I think people criticise him too much because of his price tag but then again sometimes he has shocking misses. I don't think his overall play is better than Defoe.

True I guess. Plus old Hesky isn't exactly prolific for England.

ReputationRep:
    Your joking, Defoe walks all over Bent, only a Spurs fan will disagree.

What a waste of £17m, just like Hargreaves and Carrick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    This:
    A lot Most of those caps have been substitute appearances.

ReputationRep:
    Jay Simpson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federer Rulz)

Wrong - most (the overwhelming majority of) Spurs fans would have Defoe over Bent, although 'Dazza' has his merits.

ReputationRep:

:eek: Lol Andy Cole's level of finishing is nowhere near Defoe's.

I always think of Adebayor as the next Andy Cole. Needs a bucketload of chances to score but often the midfield around him were so good at creating chances he had to score eventually. (Like Ade really) I see Defoe as more of an Owen or RVN type, basically a pure finisher. I'd have loved to have seen some kind of shot to goal ratio from Cole tbh.

On topic I think they're both excellent strikers but if I had to pick one it'd be Defoe. Very close either way though and I'd be happy with Bent in my team regardless.

Bent is in great form. Defoe isn't playing quite so well. I'd say they were about even maybe Defoe is slightly better...

ReputationRep:
    Defoe, by a long shot.

Maybe Defoe has been having a couple of quiet games for Pompey (apart from the Sunderland game), but when he is on fire, he wipes the floor with Bent. (except the times he hits Row Z...)

Don't get me wrong, Bent is good, but Defoe just wins it.

ReputationRep:
    what you dont realize is that darren bents going through a real bad patch before he made the move he was amazing scoring 17 goals in the league easily he will be formidable. Appearance he is taller stronger he'll do well at tottenham youll see! just needs the confidence defoes just someone who cant get past people and hasnt got the body either!

ReputationRep:
    They're both confidence players, and Bent is in form at the moment, but Defoe is definitely the better player. Bent scores lots of goals as he just plays on the shoulder of the last man, munching on through-balls. He's very good at what he does but but Defoe is more useful in his all-round play, and can finish too. I'd much rather have 2x Defoe up front than 2x Bent.

ReputationRep:
    Defoe can't get past people?

Damn, have you not watched the Pompey Games this season where he has?!?

Defoe is quick, and if he wasn't caught offside so much, would have soo many more goals.

ReputationRep:
    Defoe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federer Rulz)

No...Tottenham fans very much love Defoe and would welcome him back to the lane with open arms. They are similar players in the sense they rely heavily on confidence and things going their way so to speak. Their different in areas, Bent is a better finisher but Defoe is a more technically gifted player. When both playing with confidence and form it's hard to pick, but based on their overal ability I'd choose Defoe.

ReputationRep:
    Had you asked me three weeks ago, I would have said Defoe comfortably.

Now, I do think Defoe is better, however Bent is not without his positives. I think that Bent is in this harsh circle where he will always be "overpriced" to everyone, given that he was more expensive than Henry, etc. However, Bent is a more intelligent player than Defoe, IMO, however Defoe is better as a footballer.

I'd probably say they're both good, but I agree with those who say neither are England standard.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.