The Student Room Group

I need help about A-level options

I wanted to do computer science, physics and maths for A-level but apparently, I haven't got the grades for physics and maths.
What can I do now that the best combo I had is not an option anymore.

Also enrolment is tomorrow so I need advice today or before 15:00 tomorrow.
Reply 1
what do you want to do in the future/at uni?
Original post by pkchan
what do you want to do in the future/at uni?

I wanted to do something in Astronomy I guess.
Original post by Galaxy-Charmy

Is another school an option? If you are looking at a degree you'd need those two A levels. What grades did you get in them?
Original post by Muttley79
Is another school an option? If you are looking at a degree you'd need those two A levels. What grades did you get in them?

I'm going into college. I haven't finished.
Reply 5

If you want to do physics or something related at uni (can't do astronomy without a solid foundation in undergraduate physics), then your options are:
- resit your GCSEs
- find a 6th form that will accept you for maths and physics A-level with your grades (what did you get in them?)
- do some different A-levels, and then apply for a course with a foundation year at uni (can be risky - some foundation courses will still ask for A-levels in maths and physics, some won't, and your choice of uni will be reduced)

if you don't want to set yourself back a year and want to have the widest choice of uni possible, you will need to find a college/6th form that will accept you for maths and physics A-levels.
Reply 6
All three of them subjects are pretty demanding. Assuming the requirements were grade 6's, there would be a low chance of you getting up to speed with A level content as a lot of it is building on gcse knowledge. Generally if you struggled at gcse, you will struggle with A levels at least 10x more. On top of this Astronomy/Astrophysics is very demanding in terms of physics and maths so you'd need to have them as A levels.
Computer science seems like a good shout but only if it's paired with maths. Maybe you could ring up different sixth forms and ask if they'll allow whatever grades you got, it doesn't really matter if you applied there or not.
Original post by _OSHii
All three of them subjects are pretty demanding. Assuming the requirements were grade 6's, there would be a low chance of you getting up to speed with A level content as a lot of it is building on gcse knowledge. Generally if you struggled at gcse, you will struggle with A levels at least 10x more. On top of this Astronomy/Astrophysics is very demanding in terms of physics and maths so you'd need to have them as A levels.
Computer science seems like a good shout but only if it's paired with maths. Maybe you could ring up different sixth forms and ask if they'll allow whatever grades you got, it doesn't really matter if you applied there or not.

The thing about struggling in GCSEs, for maths and physics, I got 7s in GCSE which is needed to do the subjects (So I would say I didn't struggle). It's just English which I got 1 grade lower that's stopping me form doing them.
Just find a sixth form that will accept you, fundamentally your college does not matter.
The thing about struggling in GCSEs, for maths and physics, I got 7s in GCSE which is needed to do the subjects (So I would say I didn't struggle). It's just English which I got 1 grade lower that's stopping me form doing them.

What grade did you get in English? How is it relevant to success in Science? Find somewhere else.
Reply 10

They're great results op, congratulations.
You could totally get into a different sixth form if the current one isn't accepting them grades. This one place isn't the be all end all for you and you never know, you could enjoy another place more.
What grade did you get in English? How is it relevant to success in Science? Find somewhere else.

From my experience, the A level sciences have some extended response questions (6 markers) where you can lose marks if the structure and layout of the answer isn’t up to some arbitrary standard. A high grade in GCSE English shouldn’t really be necessary for this, but I imagine this is probably why they have this requirement.

I agree entirely with your post and also urge the OP to look elsewhere.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _OSHii
They're great results op, congratulations.
You could totally get into a different sixth form if the current one isn't accepting them grades. This one place isn't the be all end all for you and you never know, you could enjoy another place more.

Ok, thanks. But isn't it a bit too late to start looking for another college??

I got a grade 4
If there's like specific subjects u need them do those or do whatever u think u'll get the highest grade in
you should be able to do the A Level subject (maths and physics) if you got a 7 but if your school isn't accepting it then like someone else suggested find another school (if its possible cuz sometimes parents wont accept etc..).
I got a grade 4

That's fine to take A level Science - honestly I would get yoru parents involved - it's a ridiculous rule.
New question:
What subjects (other than maths and physics obviously) could go with computer science?
I couldn't do either of them despite my good grades for the subjects.
New question:
What subjects (other than maths and physics obviously) could go with computer science?
I couldn't do either of them despite my good grades for the subjects.

depends on what you want to do
honestly you should just find another sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest