Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Heyloa,

Just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out (although I should know this, however im getting a tad confused:ninjagirl:).

Can someone tell me exactly what is the layout for an Observational Report? I have to do a report on my trip to the Crown Court, however the report layout im use to doing is completely different, ie:

Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion, Conclusion.

I fully understand that Method and Results aren't necessary, but im getting confused as to what title headings are actually suppose to be in the report . . . :confused:

Anyone who is nice and kind enough to point me in the right direction will be rewarded with a green parcel,

Thanks

Anyone? . . . Green gem up for grabs.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have you checked your handbook yet? Usually that should tell you such things.

ReputationRep:
    I just found this on Google, it's an Observational Report on the Californian Primary Elections.

http://www.vote.caltech.edu/reports/CAprim6-06.pdf

Will that help you? Gives you an example of how to set it out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, check your university handbook, not least of all because styles can differ across institutions. If you don't have a hard copy of the handbook, then I'm sure your university will have made it available for viewing online?

(Original post by hobnob)
    Have you checked your handbook yet? Usually that should tell you such things.
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Yeah, check your university handbook, not least of all because styles can differ across institutions. If you don't have a hard copy of the handbook, then I'm sure your university will have made it available for viewing online?
    :yep: checked that.

My tutor sent an email basically telling us the difference between a report and an essay, however no format which I thought he would have sent . . . :confused: .

I remember however that I did some report writing way back at college, but I can't find the format. All I can remember from that is:

Introduction <something - cant remember> <something else - cant remember> conclusion and recommendations.

I don't know if that is the correct format, but I can't remember what the other 2 things are. . . .:confused:

(Original post by sweetlovinchick2k1)
    I just found this on Google, it's an Observational Report on the Californian Primary Elections.

http://www.vote.caltech.edu/reports/CAprim6-06.pdf

Will that help you? Gives you an example of how to set it out.
    Thanks for posting, however that is just someone's own observation report on what they saw - there is no format as such with that which is what I need!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    :yep: checked that.

My tutor sent an email basically telling us the difference between a report and an essay, however no format which I thought he would have sent . . . :confused: .

I remember however that I did some report writing way back at college, but I can't find the format. All I can remember from that is:

Introduction <something - cant remember> <something else - cant remember> conclusion and recommendations.

I don't know if that is the correct format, but I can't remember what the other 2 things are. . . .:confused:
    If I were you, I'd send the tutor a brief "sorry I'm a bit confused about the format for the report - am I right in assuming that I should do xyz?"-email, just to make sure. It'll be a bit embarassing, because you could have asked this earlier, of course, but it's still the lesser evil.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. In that case, perhaps you could email your tutor and ask them for a quick bit of clarity? Or, even better, perhaps they or someone else that would know from the department have their Office Hour (I'm assuming every university has these :o:) sometime soon and you could go in and ask?

EDIT:
    [inset advice here]
    Hehe, I'm not intentionally just copying everything you say! Just being a bit late to respond :blushing: :p:

If I were you, I'd send the tutor a brief "sorry I'm a bit confused about the format for the report - am I right in assuming that I should do xyz?"-email, just to make sure. It'll be a bit embarassing, because you could have asked this earlier, of course, but it's still the lesser evil.
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Oh right. In that case, perhaps you could email your tutor and ask them for a quick bit of clarity? Or, even better, perhaps they or someone else that would know from the department have their Office Hour (I'm assuming every university has these :o:) sometime soon and you could go in and ask?
    Yea I have just sent one Other people in my class have started, however I don't want to copy what they have done - rather find out for myself and ask, rather than following the 'pack'.

Hopefully I will get a short speedy reply shortly . . . .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's always best to err on the side of caution with these things, because getting something as seemingly basic as the layout is important, and I'm sure the tutors won't be very impressed if people get that wrong.

I'm sure the speedy response is en route, madame

Ok, I emailed my tutor with my version of observational report format, he said it was fine to use. He said there is no definate one to use so long as the report contains what he is looking for.

Thanks for the input though guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.