The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get accepted onto a DPsych / Counselling PhD?

Hi there,
I'm hoping to apply for the DPsych this year. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the acceptance rates of this course at various uni's? I'm mainly looking to apply to UWE Bristol and Uni of South Wales, mostly for geographical reasons.
I have a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Global Mental Health. I have also completed Level 2 and Level 3 CPCAB Counselling Courses. I have 10 months experience as a mental health support worker, and 1 years experience working in substance misuse services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi, the competition is quite high, i was rejected because i didn't have enough experience but from the sounds of it, you have a good amount of experience so you should definitely apply. I think you can get into at least one of your 2 choices, apply for both to increase your odds. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by emilyows_
Hi there,
I'm hoping to apply for the DPsych this year. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the acceptance rates of this course at various uni's? I'm mainly looking to apply to UWE Bristol and Uni of South Wales, mostly for geographical reasons.
I have a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Global Mental Health. I have also completed Level 2 and Level 3 CPCAB Counselling Courses. I have 10 months experience as a mental health support worker, and 1 years experience working in substance misuse services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you are talking about the DClinPsy, it is extremely competitive. The acceptance rate overall is about 18%. You apply through Clearing House and can apply for up to 4 centres. Your experience is good, but be prepared for a tough fight! The application process is brutal, and I've know people who have applied again and again for years and not got on (yet!). I'd start looking at Assistant Psychologist roles and applying for those if they come up in your area. Again, they are very competitive, but you may need to try and get experience in which you are supervised by a Clinical Psychologist in order to improve your chances at getting on the DClinPsy. I'm currently an AP in a drug and alcohol service, so that could be a good place to start looking considering your experience. More funding is going into psychology roles in susbtance misuse, so keep an eye out! And good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by ceeyou
Hi, the competition is quite high, i was rejected because i didn't have enough experience but from the sounds of it, you have a good amount of experience so you should definitely apply. I think you can get into at least one of your 2 choices, apply for both to increase your odds. Good luck

Thank you! Which uni did you apply to? Did you reapply? :smile:
Reply 4
I applied to university of Manchester, which is really tough, they only accepted 16 people out of 60 applicants (2018/2019) so I'm sure the competition is even higher now. I didn't reapply. Also to clarify this was for a Counselling Dpsych. Manchester is very heavy on research so they even asked for a draft research project in the application.
Here are the numbers of applicants and the overall trends for DClinPsy courses: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/numbers.html

Its roughly a 1 in 5 success rate, which is competitive, but not as much as it used to be. Still the average succesful candidate is usually very skilled and you can see the type of backgrounds on this thread.https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145&start=420
Original post by Nerol
If you are talking about the DClinPsy, it is extremely competitive. The acceptance rate overall is about 18%. You apply through Clearing House and can apply for up to 4 centres. Your experience is good, but be prepared for a tough fight! The application process is brutal, and I've know people who have applied again and again for years and not got on (yet!). I'd start looking at Assistant Psychologist roles and applying for those if they come up in your area. Again, they are very competitive, but you may need to try and get experience in which you are supervised by a Clinical Psychologist in order to improve your chances at getting on the DClinPsy. I'm currently an AP in a drug and alcohol service, so that could be a good place to start looking considering your experience. More funding is going into psychology roles in susbtance misuse, so keep an eye out! And good luck!

Just to add a little hope, recently over the years the acceptance rate has gone up from 18% to 25%! Still not great but you've got a 1/4 chance, and many of the applications are dud ones like people applying fresh out of an undergraduate degree, those who have no research or clinical experience and people who don't know how to write good applications. Just to spur you on, don't lose hope! https://www.clearing-house.org.uk/about-us/number-places

Quick Reply

Latest