The Student Room Group

Which alevels

I now have my GCSE’s and i have two offers:
Psychology, sociology, economics
Or
Sociology, economics, business.

My heart was for the P,S, E - but its not the 6th form i want to go to and the second one doesn’t have my subjects. Which one which i take? Will i like my 6th form?
I would go for the first one if you're heart wants that and that also means you don't have economics and business together, which some universities don't like if that's the path you're considering after A levels
I did psychology, sociology and business so could give you advice on what each is like if you'd like?
Reply 2
Yes pls. What do you mean by business and economics together the uni’s don’t like? I also agree the first one just have to accept not my first choice in terms of 6th form, but its still good though.
Original post by SB1234567890
I would go for the first one if you're heart wants that and that also means you don't have economics and business together, which some universities don't like if that's the path you're considering after A levels
I did psychology, sociology and business so could give you advice on what each is like if you'd like?
Original post by Irenegcse
Yes pls. What do you mean by business and economics together the uni’s don’t like? I also agree the first one just have to accept not my first choice in terms of 6th form, but its still good though.

Because the content in business and economics is quite similar, some unviersities view it as the same A level so you may need a fourth A level if the universities you're looking at had this view and you wanted to do this combination
I would personally say that the subject choice is more important than the sixth form choice but I was lucky enough to have my favourite sixth form doing all my favourite subjects so I can't speak from experience
Psychology is slightly scientific (mainly in the biopsychology unit and) and has some basic maths in research methods (averages, percentages, stats tests...). Essays are quite structured and, although it is quite content-heavy, the content can be really straight forward to learn due to how methodical the course is. Questions range from 1 mark MCQs to 16 mark essays
Sociology, although it is also a social science, has slightly more of a humanities focus. You will have more freedom to choose how to structure essays so long as somewhere you're applying the AOs and linking to the key question and core debates. Questions range from 4 mark SAQs to 30 mark essays
Business has lots of application to real life examples and, like psychology, has a mixture of essays and maths (finance/accounting). Also like psychology, essays are very structured. Questiond range from 1 mark MCQs to 25 mark essays
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you have

Quick Reply

Latest