The Student Room Group

A level combination and career path

Hi guys just wondering what I’d be able to do with maths lit lang and sociology
A better question would be; what do you want to do? Are you more of a maths person or humanities person? Studying english language and literature could lead to journalism careers. Not sure about sociology. In my opinion, a maths A-Level is irrelevant if it is not accompanied by a science subject, so if you picked maths + a science subject then that would open more STEM opportunities, but if you don't want to get into STEM then that's no good, in which case why pick maths? You should pick subjects that you enjoy and that reflects what you want to do. If you don't plan to get into a technology related career then maths is kinda irrelevant.

You need to have a better think about. I would suggest that you research some courses that would interest you at university. You need to start thinking about your career choices early because you don't want to do irrelevant A-Levels and then regret your choices and be like 'oh wish I didn't pick maths because I actually wanted to do this bla bla bla' you know, it happens, but you need to think hard about it now so that you don't end up in this situation later.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username845967
A better question would be; what do you want to do? Are you more of a maths person or humanities person? Studying english language and literature could lead to journalism careers. Not sure about sociology. In my opinion, a maths A-Level is irrelevant if it is not accompanied by a science subject, so if you picked maths + a science subject then that would open more STEM opportunities, but if you don't want to get into STEM then that's no good, in which case why pick maths? You should pick subjects that you enjoy and that reflects what you want to do. If you don't plan to get into a technology related career then maths is kinda irrelevant.

You need to have a better think about. I would suggest that you research some courses that would interest you at university. You need to start thinking about your career choices early because you don't want to do irrelevant A-Levels and then regret your choices and be like 'oh wish I didn't pick maths because I actually wanted to do this bla bla bla' you know, it happens, but you need to think hard about it now so that you don't end up in this situation later.

hi thanks for replying I’m not set on what I want to do in the future but I’m considering doing law, accounting or finance thats why I mentioned maths
Reply 4
https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/subjects lets you pick a combination of A level subjects in order to see what degrees/uni courses would be open to you if you picked them,hope this helps :smile:
Original post by fb2517
https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/subjects lets you pick a combination of A level subjects in order to see what degrees/uni courses would be open to you if you picked them,hope this helps :smile:

The idea of facilitating subjects and informed choices was dumped by the Russell Group 3 years ago - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

As a result of marketing legislation, all Uni must now be very clear about any subjects that are required or 'preferred'.
There is no secret information that only special people know - what a Uni states on its course pages is what it means.

Entry requirements for Law will be stated as 3 grades - there are NO required subjects.
You coud be taking three sciences, or three creative subjects, or whatever, it does not matter.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by McGinger
The idea of facilitating subjects and informed choices was dumped by the Russell Group 3 years ago - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

As a result of marketing legislation, all Uni must now be very clear about any subjects that are required or 'preferred'.
There is no secret information that only special people know - what a Uni states on its course pages is what it means.

Entry requirements for Law will be stated as 3 grades - there are NO required subjects.
You coud be taking three sciences, or three creative subjects, or whatever, it does not matter.

Hi again I was just thinking would it be better if I take lit Lang and history instead of maths and sociology for law? I’ve heard that non traditional subjects are considered “soft” meaning that unis are less likely to choose you if you do them
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by student2730
Hi again I was just thinking would it be better if I take lit Lang and history instead of maths and sociology for law? I’ve heard that non traditional subjects are considered “soft” meaning that unis are less likely to choose you if you do them

Please re-read my message above.
There are no soft subjects - just 'what that Uni says it ill or wont accept for that course'.
I repeat - there are no 'secrets', and Unis have to be entirely and totally honest and upfront about this stuff.

I have worked in Uni admisions for many years and I used to run Law admissions at a leading RG Uni.
I do actually know what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest