The Student Room Group

A level Psychology essay

Hi, I have been given a task of writing a psychology essay worth 12 marks for summer work however have previously never studied the subject, is there any recommended format for a 500/1000 essay?
Reply 1
This really depends on what the question is. However, a good start for any question is beginning with outlining what the 'thing' in the question is, so if the essay is asking about say cognitive approaches to depression then begin by summarising this approach. At A Level, I would often then talk about studies/research that backs up this approach but also mention other explanations that could also explain depression, i.e research about serotonin levels and depression.
Reply 2
Original post by Ff10n
This really depends on what the question is. However, a good start for any question is beginning with outlining what the 'thing' in the question is, so if the essay is asking about say cognitive approaches to depression then begin by summarising this approach. At A Level, I would often then talk about studies/research that backs up this approach but also mention other explanations that could also explain depression, i.e research about serotonin levels and depression.

Thank you! My essay question is:
“Ivan Pavlov investigated classical conditioning as part of the behaviourist approach. Outline and evaluate the theory and research of classical conditioning within the behaviourist approach.” (12 Marks)
Reply 3
Okay, so for this one you’ll need to find out what the classical conditioning idea within the behaviourist approach is. Then, once you’ve outlined it in your essay, I would find some research on classical conditioning i.e. Pavlov’s dogs. Evaluate in A Level Psychology basically means find some strengths and weaknesses, so look at strengths of the research and then areas it could be improved, or other theories that could explain things better.
Reply 4
Original post by Ff10n
Okay, so for this one you’ll need to find out what the classical conditioning idea within the behaviourist approach is. Then, once you’ve outlined it in your essay, I would find some research on classical conditioning i.e. Pavlov’s dogs. Evaluate in A Level Psychology basically means find some strengths and weaknesses, so look at strengths of the research and then areas it could be improved, or other theories that could explain things better.

Thank you! Your advice really helped me 😊
Reply 5
Did you find help?
Reply 6
Original post by Topo144
Did you find help?

Yes, thank you for asking 😊

Quick Reply