The Student Room Group

A level bio

Why are B cells stimulated in the cell mediated response if antibodies arent involved ?
Original post by idontlikeessays
Why are B cells stimulated in the cell mediated response if antibodies arent involved ?

I have little idea into the context of the question so I'm not completely sure if the route to the answer I'm giving is the correct one, but it's that B-cells are not stimulated by antibodies, they produce antibodies themselves. B cells are specific to a particular antigen based on the antibody they have on their cell membrane, and then once bound to the antigen of a pathogen the t-Helper cells then activate the B-cell to undergo clonal selection which produces more b-cells (plasma cells) which release more antibodies, which are mainly used for the agglutination of pathogens. Its a very frustrating back and forth process to get to grips with, but overall production of antibodies does not stimulate b-cells, their stimulation is what causes their production. hope this helps (i had to reconsolidate my notes I realised ive got severe summer holiday brain fog hope that clears by september lol)
Original post by panicatthetardis
I have little idea into the context of the question so I'm not completely sure if the route to the answer I'm giving is the correct one, but it's that B-cells are not stimulated by antibodies, they produce antibodies themselves. B cells are specific to a particular antigen based on the antibody they have on their cell membrane, and then once bound to the antigen of a pathogen the t-Helper cells then activate the B-cell to undergo clonal selection which produces more b-cells (plasma cells) which release more antibodies, which are mainly used for the agglutination of pathogens. Its a very frustrating back and forth process to get to grips with, but overall production of antibodies does not stimulate b-cells, their stimulation is what causes their production. hope this helps (i had to reconsolidate my notes I realised ive got severe summer holiday brain fog hope that clears by september lol)

thanks sm for your response. i get that b cells produce plasma cells which release more antibodies and they have antibodies themselves. im just confused as to why the t cell response to immunity (cell mediation) stimulates b cell production. do t cells also use antibodies in their response to immunity because i thought only b cells do ? or am i making zero sense hahaha
Technically t-Helper cells and an antigen presenting cell (such as phagocyte) bind to receptors on the B-cell to activate them. T-cells have no relation to antibodies53ADCF66-1390-4F8E-957A-996501B05708.jpg.jpeg
I have no clue if this photo is clear enough but this really helps show the process of an immune response
Original post by panicatthetardis
Technically t-Helper cells and an antigen presenting cell (such as phagocyte) bind to receptors on the B-cell to activate them. T-cells have no relation to antibodies53ADCF66-1390-4F8E-957A-996501B05708.jpg.jpeg
I have no clue if this photo is clear enough but this really helps show the process of an immune response

thank you !

Quick Reply