The Student Room Group

I'm unsure in my faith, can anyone help?

Due to family influence since I was younger I always went to church and was greatly invloved in the youth. As I grew up I found certain beliefs about God difficult to believe due to my own suffering, those close to me suffering and the general mess this world is in. Over the last few years I started to think I was Agnostic as I am certain there is a higher power in this world.
However, I recently went on a youth camp with my church youth group and I don't know whether it was the sentimentality of being with my best friends or the fact that on the final night God told one of the youth workers words in prayer of "faith over fear" when I had been trying all week to have some sort of sign that God was still there.

So now I really am stuck because I still can't believe certain things about God and don't agree with certain aspects so I don't feel like I fit anywere spiritually anymore which is really unsettling for me.

Any one got any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atychiphobia
Due to family influence since I was younger I always went to church and was greatly invloved in the youth. As I grew up I found certain beliefs about God difficult to believe due to my own suffering, those close to me suffering and the general mess this world is in. Over the last few years I started to think I was Agnostic as I am certain there is a higher power in this world.
However, I recently went on a youth camp with my church youth group and I don't know whether it was the sentimentality of being with my best friends or the fact that on the final night God told one of the youth workers words in prayer of "faith over fear" when I had been trying all week to have some sort of sign that God was still there.

So now I really am stuck because I still can't believe certain things about God and don't agree with certain aspects so I don't feel like I fit anywere spiritually anymore which is really unsettling for me.

Any one got any advice?

It’s natural to question the existence of God. I did at the age of 14 and ultimately concluded he doesn’t exist, which is a decision I’m very happy with.

Keep questioning it and have discussions with trusted people about it (i.e family, your local priest and any atheist friends/relations, if you have any). If your beliefs cannot hold up to scrutiny, then they aren’t particularly strong. Eventually, you’ll reach a decision that’s right for you.

There are no two major denominations of christianity that actually agree on everything (as numerous theologists have spent ages bickering about the nature of God), so it’s possible you’ll find a branch of christianity more suited to your set of beliefs, should you decide to retain your faith.
Research a lot of religions, like other abrahamic religions, maybe south Asian religions. Make sure you use authentic sources and not just some YouTuber doing it for fame and money, go to scholars and experts.

I was just a born Muslim myself with almost no knowledge of my faith. I would say I'm only muslim because my parents are. After researching what Islam was and what it preaches, as well as other religions such as Christianity and Judaism, I was very happy with who I was and why I am here.

My advice is do not settle for anything less than perfect. Be happy with your finding. Do not let arrogance or presumptions cloud your judgement, I pray Allah guides you to Islam.

Any one got any advice?

Why do you need to “fit” somewhere? If something seems to be true to you, then believe it; if it doesn’t, then don’t. Does it really matter what “group” of people that places you in?
Reply 4

Any one got any advice?

Hi,
This is completely normal, think of it as an almost turning point in your spiritual growth. I was born a Muslim, and I remember thinking at the age of 11 how bizarre it is that I pray and read the Quran without any understanding. After that turning point, I delved deeper into the spiritual truths of my religion, and that made my faith in Islam so great I cannot even describe it.

If you don’t mind me asking, which aspects do you not believe in?

Any one got any advice?

Considering over 30,000 Religions exist, either all 30,000 are fake, or 29,999 are fake.
My best guess, if 1 is fake, they all are.
Made up story's about people who are thought to be gods.
Idk how anyone believes in the **** wrote in the bible.
Reply 6
Original post by Sami Sami
Research a lot of religions, like other abrahamic religions, maybe south Asian religions. Make sure you use authentic sources and not just some YouTuber doing it for fame and money, go to scholars and experts.

I was just a born Muslim myself with almost no knowledge of my faith. I would say I'm only muslim because my parents are. After researching what Islam was and what it preaches, as well as other religions such as Christianity and Judaism, I was very happy with who I was and why I am here.

My advice is do not settle for anything less than perfect. Be happy with your finding. Do not let arrogance or presumptions cloud your judgement, I pray Allah guides you to Islam.

Excellent words👍
Reply 7
Original post by Throwaway2195
Considering over 30,000 Religions exist, either all 30,000 are fake, or 29,999 are fake.
My best guess, if 1 is fake, they all are.
Made up story's about people who are thought to be gods.
Idk how anyone believes in the **** wrote in the bible.

You are missing one possibility, there is a central faith that is correct, but has been warped over many generations. The decrees by god have changed over history, therefore making the different Abrahamic faiths. The final decree was Islam.
Original post by Anyazz
Excellent words👍

May Allah bless you and your family <3

Any one got any advice?

When it comes to the suffering in the world, many people feel like you. They wonder, 'If there is a God, then why doesn't he do something about all the problems in the world?'

An important thing to note is that God did not intend for humans to suffer, and not only that, but he plans to bring an end to all suffering and injustice soon. The Bible describes what future conditions on earth will be like: "[God] will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."—Revelation 21:3, 4.

But how will God bring about an end to the problems we see? And why does he allow suffering in the first place? If you would like to know more about these things, or if you have other questions about the Bible, I'd like to show you a brochure called Good News From God! It shows what God's Word, the Bible, teaches on several subjects; it even has short videos that explains things clearly. I'll link it below, give it a look sometime:

- Good News From God!
Original post by Sami Sami
May Allah bless you and your family <3

Thank you my friend, you too of course🙂
Always trust your gut instinct. :smile:
Remember that you have the same freedom as everyone else in the UK to choose your own personal priorities, approach to religion, beliefs and how you want to incorporate them into your life & future.

Most mainstream churches and well balanced modern religious movements have not hitched their faith wagons to the fundamentalist approach.
Paved upon ancient scriptural infallibility, religious absolutism, the literal approach to religious teachings and sometimes the inerrancy of specific bible versions.
Many members of the traditionalist & fundamentalist camps like to act as if they alone own their preferred religion and have the monopoly upon virtue, truth or salvation- they don't.

If you want to explore a variety of religions and belief systems to gain some experience of a diverse variety of perspectives, that's fine.
Not just the largest and oldest of abrahamic religions.
Also buddhism, hinduism, jainism, mormonism, raelism, santería, scientology, shinto, taoism, wicca and zoroastrianism.

If you know that you have had more than enough of ancient books of religious scripture/ alleged leadership quotations or organised religion and are happiest as a person who believes in God or is agnostic- that's fine too.

Plenty of friends raised in traditionalist religious households do believe in God.
But prefer to keep their distance from anything or anyone connected with organised religion.
Many friends raised in a variety of religious households have opted to avoid all 'one true perfect & infallible religion' fire&brimstone style interpretations of ancient religious teachings and keep a lot of distance from the zealot adherent types & foul religious fanatics who are in the habit of incessantly ranting that type of thing.

I enjoy studying theology, history, ancient history, religious studies and the history of religion.
My father is a militant atheist who believes that all religion is an evil plot to scam, rob and control the gullible.
My maternal grandmother is a vile bible bashing religious fanatic in her 80s with a medieval mindset who sees the devil, his spouse and their faily of evil sinners everywhere.
She believes that abortion, atheism, all other religious opinions, divorce, electricity, the telephone & radio, secular sweets, remarriage after the death of a spouse, painkillers and vaccines are all manifestations of evil.
I was taught sunni islam from the age of 2, I am not a follower of islam and never will be.
My best friend and her family are followers of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct. :smile:
Remember that you have the same freedom as everyone else in the UK to choose your own personal priorities, approach to religion, beliefs and how you want to incorporate them into your life & future.

Most mainstream churches and well balanced modern religious movements have not hitched their faith wagons to the fundamentalist approach.
Paved upon ancient scriptural infallibility, religious absolutism, the literal approach to religious teachings and sometimes the inerrancy of specific bible versions.
Many members of the traditionalist & fundamentalist camps like to act as if they alone own their preferred religion and have the monopoly upon virtue, truth or salvation- they don't.

If you want to explore a variety of religions and belief systems to gain some experience of a diverse variety of perspectives, that's fine.
Not just the largest and oldest of abrahamic religions.
Also buddhism, hinduism, jainism, mormonism, raelism, santería, scientology, shinto, taoism, wicca and zoroastrianism.

If you know that you have had more than enough of ancient books of religious scripture/ alleged leadership quotations or organised religion and are happiest as a person who believes in God or is agnostic- that's fine too.

Plenty of friends raised in traditionalist religious households do believe in God.
But prefer to keep their distance from anything or anyone connected with organised religion.
Many friends raised in a variety of religious households have opted to avoid all 'one true perfect & infallible religion' fire&brimstone style interpretations of ancient religious teachings and keep a lot of distance from the zealot adherent types & foul religious fanatics who are in the habit of incessantly ranting that type of thing.

I enjoy studying theology, history, ancient history, religious studies and the history of religion.
My father is a militant atheist who believes that all religion is an evil plot to scam, rob and control the gullible.
My maternal grandmother is a vile bible bashing religious fanatic in her 80s with a medieval mindset who sees the devil, his spouse and their faily of evil sinners everywhere.
She believes that abortion, atheism, all other religious opinions, divorce, electricity, the telephone & radio, secular sweets, remarriage after the death of a spouse, painkillers and vaccines are all manifestations of evil.
I was taught sunni islam from the age of 2, I am not a follower of islam and never will be.
My best friend and her family are followers of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
Good luck!

Any one got any advice?

there is no direct evidence to prove god exists , I just cannot believe in God when I feel there's absolutely no evidence that I can see? I do believe in the beauty and the awe-inspiring mystery of the science that's out there that we haven't discovered yet, that there are scientific explanations for phenomena that we call mystical because we don't know any better Just because I don't believe in God now does that mean that my life has no purpose? Does it mean that just because I believe there is no afterlife my life has no purpose ? I believe passionately in the need to distinguish between right and wrong and that is important to me I am somewhat confounded and confused by being told I need God, Jesus to help me to do. I am happy as an atheist.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Due to family influence since I was younger I always went to church and was greatly invloved in the youth. As I grew up I found certain beliefs about God difficult to believe due to my own suffering . .

What beliefs about God do you find difficult?

What churches teach isn't always the truth!.
Original post by James Davies90
Just because I don't believe in God now does that mean that my life has no purpose?
Does it mean that just because I believe there is no afterlife my life has no purpose ?
I believe passionately in the need to distinguish between right and wrong and that is important to me.
I am somewhat confounded and confused by being told I need God, Jesus to help me to do. I am happy as an atheist.

You have the right to choose your own beliefs and lifestyle preferences. :smile:
Put your own happiness, health and future ambitions first.
Just ignore all bullies and loudmouthed noise nuisances.

Life is too short to waste your valuable time and energy on those who don't deserve any of either.
Don't allow any vicious ranters or overbearing preachers who don't understand the meaning of 'personal space' to waste any of your time' trying to use their favourite religious propaganda and fire&brimstone style quotes an excuse to impose their favourite lifestyle preferences upon you.
Similar thing with militant atheists or political fanatics.
Actually there is another religion (other than Christianity) that believes in Jesus(peace be upon him). According to Islam, Jesus the son of Mary (peace be upon him) is a Prophet and Messenger of God. We dont believe in the trinity or that God has a child. We believe that God is one and does not have any partners. When you think of God, whats the first thing that comes to your mind? You may think of God as the creator of the heavens and the earth. You should not make human images of God. We(human beings ) cannot imagine God. If you search "Jesus in Islam" in Islamqa.info then you may find more. I go the following texts from Islamqa.info : ‘Isa ibn Maryam is the slave of Allah and His messenger. Allah sent him to guide the Children of Israel and to call them to worship Allah Alone, as Allah says to the Jews and Christians (interpretation of the meaning):

“O people of the Scripture (Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allah aught but the truth. The Messiah ‘Isa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a messenger of Allah and His Word, (‘Be!’ and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Ruh) created by Him; so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not: ‘Three (trinity)!’ Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allah is (the only) One AIlah (God), glory is to Him (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is All Sufficient as a Disposer of affairs.” [al-Nisa 4:171]

The Messiah son of Maryam was a human being. He was born from a mother; he ate and drank, got up and went to sleep, suffered pain and wept… and God (Allah) is far above all of that, so how could he be God? Rather he is the slave of Allah and His messenger:

“The Messiah [‘Isa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary), was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother [Maryam (Mary)] was a Siddiqah [i.e. she believed in the Words of Allah and His Books]. They both used to eat food (as any other human being, while Allah does not eat). Look how We make the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to them; yet look how they are deluded away (from the truth)” [al-Maidah 5:75]
Original post by MichaelJB
When it comes to the suffering in the world, many people feel like you. They wonder, 'If there is a God, then why doesn't he do something about all the problems in the world?'

An important thing to note is that God did not intend for humans to suffer, and not only that, but he plans to bring an end to all suffering and injustice soon. The Bible describes what future conditions on earth will be like: "[God] will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."—Revelation 21:3, 4.

But how will God bring about an end to the problems we see? And why does he allow suffering in the first place? If you would like to know more about these things, or if you have other questions about the Bible, I'd like to show you a brochure called Good News From God! It shows what God's Word, the Bible, teaches on several subjects; it even has short videos that explains things clearly. I'll link it below, give it a look sometime:

- Good News From God!

The Messiah son of Maryam was a human being. He was born from a mother; he ate and drank, got up and went to sleep, suffered pain and wept… and God (Allah) is far above all of that, so how could he be God? Rather he is the slave of Allah and His messenger:

“The Messiah [‘Isa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary), was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother [Maryam (Mary)] was a Siddiqah [i.e. she believed in the Words of Allah and His Books]. They both used to eat food (as any other human being, while Allah does not eat). Look how We make the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to them; yet look how they are deluded away (from the truth)” [al-Maidah 5:75]
Original post by weirdguy4231

I do not believe that Jesus is God. When Jesus prayed to his heavenly Father, notice what he said: "This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3) Note that two separate individuals are mentioned; there is the only true God, whose name is Jehovah*. And then there is Jesus Christ, a humble messenger of God who was sent to the earth. While on the earth, Jesus clearly stated that God was superior to him.—John 14:28.

* Jehovah is the name of the true God as revealed in the Bible.—Psalm 83:18.
I do not believe that Jesus is God. When Jesus prayed to his heavenly Father, notice what he said: "This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3) Note that two separate individuals are mentioned; there is the only true God, whose name is Jehovah*. And then there is Jesus Christ, a humble messenger of God who was sent to the earth. While on the earth, Jesus clearly stated that God was superior to him.—John 14:28.

It seems to me that in a way you said that you believe in what Muslims believe in (or atleast it has similarities to what Muslims believe in) . What you said clearly goes against the teachings of Christianity. When Muslims use the word "Allah", what does it mean? (I got this from a website) Allah is the Arabic language word referring to "God", "the Lord" and, literally according to the Qur'an, to the "God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" in the Abrahamic religions. It does not mean "a god", but rather "the Only God", the Supreme Creator of the universe, and it is the main term for the deity in Islam.
I got these from Islamqa.info : Allah, may He be exalted, sent messengers to every nation and He stated that they came one after another, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Then We sent Our messengers in succession, every time there came to a nation their messenger, they denied him, so We made them follow one another (to destruction), and We made them as ahadith (the true stories for mankind to learn a lesson from them). So away with a people who believe not” [al-Muminun 23:44]

“Verily! We have sent you with the truth, a bearer of glad tidings, and a warner. And there never was a nation but a warner had passed among them” [Fatir 35:24].

Allah has named some of those Messengers and told us the stories of some of them, but not of many others. Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have inspired you (O Muhammad) as We inspired Nuh (Noah) and the prophets after him; We (also) inspired Ibrahim (Abraham), Ismail (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Yaqub (Jacob), and Al-Asbat (the twelve sons of Yaqub (Jacob)), ‘Isa (Jesus), Ayyub (Job), Yunus (Jonah), Harun (Aaron), and Sulaiman (Solomon), and to Dawud (David) We gave the Zabur (Psalms).

And messengers We have mentioned to you before, and messengers We have not mentioned to you, - and to Musa (Moses) Allah spoke directly” [an-Nisa 4:163-164].

Ibn Kathir (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“These are the names of the prophets whose names are mentioned in the Quran: Adam, Idris, Nuh, Hud, Salih, Ibrahim, Lut, Isma’il, Ishaq, Ya‘qub, Yusuf, Ayyub, Shu‘ayb, Musa, Harun, Yunus, Dawud, Sulayman, Ilyas, al-Yasa‘, Zakariyya, Yahya, and ‘Isa (blessings and peace be upon them), as well as Dhu’l-Kifl according to many commentators, and their leader is Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him).

The words “and messengers We have not mentioned to you” mean: other people who are not mentioned in the Quran.” (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, 2/469)

“Verily, the likeness of ‘Eesa (Jesus) before Allaah is the likeness of Adam. He created him from dust, then (He) said to him: ‘Be!’ and he was” . How can you attribute a son to the creator of the Universe? God has created the Universe and are you doubting the ability of God to create a Human being ( peace be upon Jesus Christ) without a Father? God has created Adam (peace be upon him) without a Father and a Mother. I got these from Islamqa.info: Praise be to Allah.

We have previously explained that the Gospel in which we believe, and no one's Islam is valid unless he believes in it, is not the gospels that are in the hands of the Christians nowadays. Rather the Gospel in which we believe is that which was brought by ‘Eesa (Jesus peace be upon him) from Allaah. As for that which is in the hands of the Christians today, it is something else, and they themselves do not claim that Jesus is the one who brought it or wrote it. See question no. 47516.

As that is the case, what the Christians claim about the Gospels stating that Jesus is the son of God and that God is his father –exalted be Allaah above having a son or a wife does not count as any kind of proof against us, because we believe that that is something that was fabricated by human beings, and it is not part of the religion of Jesus (peace be upon him) or the religion of any other Messenger.

We believe that the Gospels that are in people’s hands today, in which the Christians believe, have been tampered with and changed, and are still being tampered with from time to time, so that there is nothing left in the form in which the Gospel was revealed from Allaah. Here we would point out that the Gospel which speaks most of the belief in the trinity and the divinity of the Messiah (peace be upon him), so that it has become a reference-point for the Christians in their arguments in support of this falsehood, is the Gospel of John. This Gospel is subject to doubts about its authorship even among some Christian scholars themselves, as is not the case with the other Gospels in which they believe. This is an ancient doubt which goes back to the second century CE according to their own history.

Professor Stadlin says: The entire Gospel of John was written by one of the students of the Alexandrian school. One sect, in the second century, rejected this Gospel and everything that was attributed to John.

In the Encyclopaedia Britannica it says:

As for the gospel of John, it is undoubtedly fabricated. Its author wanted to pitch two of the disciples against one another, namely St. John and St. Matthew.

This writer who appears in the text claimed that he was the disciple who was loved by the Messiah, and the Church took this at face value and affirmed that the writer was the disciple John, and it put his name on the book, even though the author was not John for certain. This book is like the books of the Torah, in that there is no connection between them and the one to whom they are attributed. We feel sorry for those who did their utmost to make the connection, between this philosopher who wrote the book in the second century, and the disciple John the fisherman, for their efforts were to no avail and with no guidance.

Quoted from Muhaaraat fi’l-Nasraaniyyah by Shaykh Muhammad Abu Zahrah.

It is strange indeed that they cast aspersions on the authorship of this Gospel which they affirm was written especially to support this falsehood, the false belief in the divinity of the Messiah, which is ignored in the other gospels, until this gospel was written, at the least. Yoosuf al-Khoori says: John wrote his Gospel at the end of his life, at the request of the bishops of Asia and elsewhere. The reason for that is that there were sects that denied the divinity of the Messiah, so they asked him to prove it, and to highlight that which Matthew, Mark and Luke had neglected in their Gospels.

(op.cit., p. 64)

Regardless of the doubts about the authorship of the Gospels in general, and of the Gospel of John in particular, the phrases that they quote from these Gospels do not support the point they are trying to make, rather it is a spider’s web to which they are clinging, as Allaah says of them and others like them (interpretation of the meaning):

“The likeness of those who take (false deities as) Awliya’ (protectors, helpers) other than Allaah is the likeness of a spider who builds (for itself) a house; but verily, the frailest (weakest) of houses is the spider’s house if they but knew”

[al-‘Ankaboot 29:41]

The Bible in which it says that the Messiah is the son of God is the same Bible in which the lineage of the Messiah ends with Adam (peace be upon him), and he too is described as a son of God.

“Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God”

[Luke 3:23-38]

This is the same Bible that describes Israel in the same terms:

“Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son”

[Exodus 4:22]

Something similar appears in the Book of Hosea:

“When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son”

[Hosea 11:1]

The same is said of Soloman (peace be upon him):

“He said to me: 'Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father”

[I Chronicles 28:6]

Were Adam, Israel and Soloman all other sons of God, before the Messiah (peace be upon him)? Exalted be Allaah far above what they say!

Indeed, in the Gospel of John itself there is an explanation of what is meant by this being a son; it includes all the righteous servants of God, so there is nothing unique about Jesus or any other Prophet in this regard.

“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name”

[John 1:3]

Something similar appears in the Gospel of Matthew:

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God”

[Matthew 5:8-9]

This usage of the word “son” in the language of the Bible is a metaphor for the righteous servant of God, without it implying anything special or unique about the way in which he is created, or describing him literally as the offspring of God. Hence John says:

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!”

[1 John 3:1]

For the same reason Adam is also called a son of God exalted be Allaah far above that.

There remains the issue of Eesa (peace be upon him) being described as a son of God, and what they fabricated about the Lord of the Worlds, saying that He was the father of the Messiah (peace be upon him). This too is not unique in the language of the Gospels:

“Jesus said, Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'”

[John 20:17]

In one text he says that God is a father to them too, and that God is the God of them all.

So let them say if they wish that we are all the children and the beloved of God, as God said of their forefathers. In that case there is nothing special about the Messiah so that they should worship him instead of Allaah. Or let them be stubborn and follow something other than true guidance, with no clear Book. This is something that anyone could do.

, the Lord of the heavens and the Lord of the earth, the Lord of the Worlds, for the blessing of Islam that He has bestowed upon us.
O Allaah, guide us to Your straight path, The way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray.

Quick Reply

Latest