The Student Room Group

Subject Advice

Okay so my results went really well yesterday [9999999986] so I decided to switch to A-Levels on the advice of absolutely everyone, including my own gut feelings. As a miscellaneous question, how do I explain A-Levels to my Polish mother who also couldn't be asked to remember the GCSE system for 5 years straight? She seems to think that I'll never get into university because I haven't taken a subject with 'Engineering' in the name.

I'm mostly looking for resource suggestions and generally anything important I should know about the A-Levels I'm taking. When I start sixth form, I plan to review important lessons during free periods and after school by making flashcards and using other resources to solidify my understanding. I'm not really the sort of person who revises 8 straight hours, I prefer to do frequent short bursts of revision, will this be enough?

Also, I had different exam boards for GCSE (AQA for maths and science). Will this lead to a major knowledge gap?

I'm doing the following courses:
- OCR A-Level Chemistry
- OCR A-Level Physics
- Edexcel A-Level Mathematics
- Edexcel A-Level Further Mathematics [only if there's enough interest to run the course]
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there! Reviewing lessons is always a good thing to do. Making sure you understand the content as you go along is a great way to avoid having to do lots of work before mocks and tests. I found maths fun and as a further maths dropout :tongue:, it definitely helped me out since we basically did all the Yr 13 calculus in further maths. For maths, Dr Frost helped a lot and a yt channel called Pete Hart that goes through examples in the Edexcel books. Hope this helps and good luck! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by BlueOrca
Hi there! Reviewing lessons is always a good thing to do. Making sure you understand the content as you go along is a great way to avoid having to do lots of work before mocks and tests. I found maths fun and as a further maths dropout :tongue:, it definitely helped me out since we basically did all the Yr 13 calculus in further maths. For maths, Dr Frost helped a lot and a yt channel called Pete Hart that goes through examples in the Edexcel books. Hope this helps and good luck! :h:

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest