Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For geography at oxford you may be given an article and asked to read it then talk about it. I think it's supposed to be so you have to talk about something you've never dnoe before. But what's the point in that? Is all they are looking for confidence etc? I had a practice one with my teacher with an article and she just asked me about the content so I was just a bit confused.. If all you have to do is repeat what you've just read. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost3dbutts)
    If all you have to do is repeat what you've just read. :/
    Not quite. You have to memorise it, and then recite it backwards.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    i think there's a mock interview video on either the oxford or cambridge websites for history which has a similar thing - boy asked to read an article and then asked about it. that might be useful!
    i think if you're asked about content, you'll need to summarise it in the context of your own knowledge... i don't know, link the issues in it to wider reading or topics you've encountered before.
    that kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's supposed to be so you have to talk about something you've never dnoe before. But what's the point in that? Is all they are looking for confidence etc?
    The point of doing this is exactly so that the tutors can see how well you can discuss something you've not mugged up on. They will be looking for qualities in you such as:
    • abilty to read and understand a text quickly;
    • ability to contruct your own logical position based on that text;
    • ability to argue that position clearly in discussion; this may mean conceding points rather than dogmatically sticking to them.

Or, in few words, your ability to think. Really your best bet is to think aloud, and if you're not sure, to ask. Confidence will help, a bit, as just clamming up will not help the interviewers find out about you. Don't just rabbit on, though - listen to the interviewers, who will be trying to help you!

DtS

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I'm a bit worried about this too. There is no-one at my sixth form to help with the geography stuff and my geog teachers aren't really sure so I think my first idea of looking at and talking about articles will be in the interview :-/ Good luck though OP, you sound prepared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    • abilty to read and understand a text quickly;
    • ability to contruct your own logical position based on that text;
    • ability to argue that position clearly in discussion; this may mean conceding points rather than dogmatically sticking to them.
    Sounds easy. Something else my teacher said was that they are looking for people who like to argue(!) and she said when she was doing interviews at Oxford, the guy she was with was making insane claims about global warming (eg, the environment has improved so much in the past 30 years...) and that they were looking for people who would say "hold on a minute, mate" rather than take it for truth just because he was an Oggsford man.

ReputationRep:
    and that they were looking for people who would say "hold on a minute, mate" rather than take it for truth just because he was an Oggsford man.
    yes, it's called an inquiring mind, I think.
    they sound like they want people who will always try to seek new grounds in their field, not people who just learn how to move about and how not to get killed.
    Also, they want to see how teach-able you are, which they can only really see with a topic you're not familiar with. So, don't get put off by any material or question, let them 'teach you' i.e. nudge you in the right direction. And as DtS said, think aloud and do make it clear that you are thinking, as opposed to blurting stuff out. It must be a quality conversation/debate/teacher-student session, not a tennis match

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.