The Student Room Group

My neighbours are driving me mad...

Hi everyone

Basically I am having a bit problem with my neighbours. They are honestly so loud that it affects my studying and sleep. They play music almost every night, and not just for a few hours but literally all the way through the night, really loud. Sometimes it's so loud that I can feel the vibrations in my house, it's crazy and its like they dont even consider that they might be disturbing others.

I have begun getting really agitated and stressed about it. There is no point talking to them about it as they will definitely get rude and hostile about it. One time we did speak to them about it and they got really hostile, threatening us etc.

Do you guys have any advice on what I can do in this situation? Should I escalate it to the police?

Thanks
Reply 1
With noise you can guarantee it is one of the following:
1) Someone is oblivious to the noise they make and is completely unaware of just how bad it is - After being made aware
they won't change their behaviour because they have some mental health problems. You could always try and find their GP
practice and leave a message for the mental health team or their GP
2) Someone is oblivious to the noise and is made aware of it and they then change their activities and stop making the noise
3) Someone is aware of the noise making and doesn't give a shot about it. Sadly this is all too common. This might need
council intervention or pressure from the landlord or housing association

You might find the local council have environmental health officers who will investigate complaints about excessive noise.
They have noise meters and can come and listen to the noise when it occurs if it is showing no sign of getting any better.

You have already tried the diplomatic route but this doesn't seem to cut the ice.

First things
I appreciate you shouldn't have to but this is self preservation
* Can you get hold a pair of noise reducing headphones for day use and ear plugs for sleep at night?
* Would you have a relatives home that you could sleep at for a few days to get a break from it all?

Evidence is important.
I do appreciate this is aggravating but it can also be a positive thing to know you can start to do something. Keep a diary of when the noise starts, the time of day/night and if you know the time it stops, and the nature of the noise. Is there a pattern to this or is it random. Can you make some video evidence of what you hear through the walls? Then you can provide this to the council.

Give your neighbours a knock, get to know them and tell them what you are doing. See if they are suffering too, and whether you could get them on board with you to make a complaint to the council, particularly if they too are driven mad by this (They may have already complained)

If the property is rented see if you can find out who the Landlord or Housing Association is. Make complaints to them about the noise. With a threat of eviction they might pipe down.

I hope you can get some respite soon
Original post by Muttly
1) Someone is oblivious to the noise they make and is completely unaware of just how bad it is - After being made aware
they won't change their behaviour because they have some mental health problems. You could always try and find their GP
2) Someone is oblivious to the noise and is made aware of it and they then change their activities and stop making the noise
3) Someone is aware of the noise making and doesn't give a shot about it. Sadly this is all too common. This might need

You might find the local council have environmental health officers who will investigate complaints about excessive noise.
They have noise meters and can come and listen to the noise when it occurs if it is showing no sign of getting any better.

You have already tried the diplomatic route but this doesn't seem to cut the ice.

First things
* Can you get hold a pair of noise reducing headphones for day use and ear plugs for sleep at night?
* Would you have a relatives home that you could sleep at for a few days to get a break from it all?

Evidence is important.
I do appreciate this is aggravating but it can also be a positive thing to know you can start to do something. Keep a diary of when the noise starts, the time of day/night and if you know the time it stops, and the nature of the noise. Is there a pattern to this or is it random. Can you make some video evidence of what you hear through the walls? Then you can provide this to the council.

Give your neighbours a knock, get to know them and tell them what you are doing. See if they are suffering too, and whether you could get them on board with you to make a complaint to the council, particularly if they too are driven mad by this (They may have already complained)

If the property is rented see if you can find out who the Landlord or Housing Association is. Make complaints to them about the noise. With a threat of eviction they might pipe down.

Thank you very much for this advice I really appreciate it, you have answered all my questions!

God bless you!
Original post by Muttly

First things

Evidence is important.

all very good advice:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you very much for this advice I really appreciate it, you have answered all my questions!

God bless you!

let us know how you get on. Real feel for your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending