Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you been affected by the credit crunch/recession and if so, how? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know I have, unemployment- my JSA has come late due to a backlog at the job centre due to the amount of people unemployed! Had a few interviews, but its got to the point now, where I just...need a job, and i swear one more rejection may make me cry! Prices have gone up, my weekly shop has gone up by about £5 since january.

It's also affecting my family, my parents can't sell their house when they want too, my cousin's boyfriend is also struggling with work...its just a financially difficult time

discuss how you're being affected by it..

ReputationRep:
    Not another one of these!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I have or not. I've been unable to get a student bank account, but this may just be that they hate me... :p:
    I have a bad credit rating and I can't work out why.

ReputationRep:
    No actually. My dad used to work for an american company who paid him in dollars (obviously). Anyway, as he was earning a substantial amount for his work he only ever transferred a quarter of his earnings into pounds. This was 10 years ago roughly so he had roughly 400k of his wealth in dollars. Because of the credit crunch, the value of the pound against the dollar has fallen from 2$ to the quid to just 1.5 when my dad decided to transfer the money very recently. That equated to a 25% (100k) profit because the pound fell because of the crunch.

Obviously our bills are up and my dad's business is making slightly less money. but the 100k he made has far offset this. so no, we havent been negatively effected by the crunch. and not many can say that

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm lucky enough not to have been affected by it. That said, I don't really pay attention to food prices and the like, because I know I need it I don't worry about how much it is. Oh, and I get my fuel paid for by work too, which is always a bonus!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have - I get people complaining about it to me all the time.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really :p:

To be honest I prefer UK's recession rather than economic wonders in Poland...

EMA getting delayed ? Well it's a bit affecting :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't effected my spending habits in any way; however I am freaking out a bit about finding a job in January once my contract is up I'm seriously considering just throwing in the towel and becoming a lap dancer.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Only tiny things like my interest on my ISA going from 5% to 4.5%.

ReputationRep:
    No. Secure job, secure contracts, lower fuel and food bills, less inflation, house prices on their way down fast and i'm looking to buy in 6 months....

Only issue is I lost 100k or so on the markets in the last coupla months, but thats my own fault for being a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I haven't been affected one bit, apart from the price of Haribo's going up slightly :rolleyes:

And I just got a payrise of £3000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    No. Secure job, secure contracts, lower fuel and food bills, less inflation, house prices on their way down fast and i'm looking to buy in 6 months....

Only issue is I lost 100k or so on the markets in the last coupla months, but thats my own fault for being a moron.
    ouch. that's a mega fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducki)
    Nope, I haven't been affected one bit, apart from the price of Haribo's going up slightly :rolleyes:

And I just got a payrise of £3000
    soooo its worth joining the army :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Recession does NOT drive up food prices ffs. Food prices will be on their way down, as will inflation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Recession does NOT drive up food prices ffs. Food prices will be on their way down, as will inflation.
    then how come my milk has gone up in price?

basically its those like myself, looking for work, paying the bills that are being a bit short

ReputationRep:
    yeah to second samba the increase in bills are actually due to economic factors other than the credit crunch. it is just coincidence that over the last year they've happened almost simultaneously. Prices will start to fall now though as recession becomes reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)

That is not a good thing! For my parents anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    soooo its worth joining the army :shifty:
    Absolutely

Although due to recession, more and more people are signing up, so the army has a greater ability to pick and choose who it wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I'm not sure if I have or not. I've been unable to get a student bank account, but this may just be that they hate me... :p:
    I have a bad credit rating and I can't work out why.
    Having a bad credit rating seems to be better than having no credit rating, which is what banks seem to be staying away from. Is it the case that you've never had to borrow any money, take out a contract etc? Because our country doesn't like lending money to people who haven't had to fall into debt or borrow money to buy things they can't really afford!

It depends on the bank as well. Despite me being with them for around 6 years, having never had bad credit or any credit rating at all, Halifax refused to give me a Student Account. They are notoriously stingly, though, and a few people replying to this with "I asked them for an upgrade last week and they gave me- no questions asked" isn't going to change that :nah:

You should try Natwest, who I'm not happily with :love: You can apply over the phone and they actually tell you whether you'd be entitled to an overdraft right then, and for how much. I got the full £1250 :woo: Thankfully, I haven't had to use it, but in remaining on topic: The credit crunch has affected my family more than it has me personally, as I've now moved and my loans/grants/savings are ample resource. For home, I know that my dad's having to do more hours because of the general expenses increase in looking after my siblings, and there's a lot of people at other places I know losing their jobs or being forced to reduce their hours. Hard times.

ReputationRep:
    No I've got a secure job, pay less petrol, less on my food, less on gas and electricity. I'm gonna buy a house next year so lower house prices are good as well. LOL, pretty much the same as samba, apart from the 100k loss lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.