Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you been affected by the credit crunch/recession and if so, how? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I work at a restuarant,
    they often ring me to say that they dnt want me to work, due to the lack of bookings
    =/

Nothing to serious

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, although my dad is on edge at the moment because he works for Lloyds TSB...my family would be in the **** if the worst happened there.
    I'm also a bit worried about employment opportunities - I'll be looking for a job after christmas and with shops going through hard times at the moment I am apprehensive about my prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofinaaBabess)
    That is not a good thing! For my parents anyway
    then either A) your parents bought their house as an investment rather than a place to live

or B) they took out a mortgage which was too big in proportion to their income

either way they are classic middle class fools. It's people like that who caused the bubble which had to burst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Only issue is I lost 100k or so on the markets in the last coupla months, but thats my own fault for being a moron.
    Just a slight issue then :p:

ReputationRep:
    Its affected my Dad, who's a plumber, and my boyfriend who works for a small company which deals with "incorporating" businesses, they've had to cut down his hours. On top of this, I have no money because I'm a sad student and no where is hiring, apart from christmas jobs, and I can't stay over christmas

ReputationRep:
    I have a temporary, very well paid job at the moment that expires in 3 weeks, and I've had to take this week off because I've been ill (unpaid, obviously), which is really not what I wanted. It's proven hard to find another job since as well, mainly because of those ******** questionnaires supermarkets like Sainsbury's make you do online. The one I managed to 'pass' I was then unable to attend an interview for and wasn't allowed to swap times either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Not yet, although my dad is on edge at the moment because he works for Lloyds TSB...my family would be in the **** if the worst happened there.
    I'm also a bit worried about employment opportunities - I'll be looking for a job after christmas and with shops going through hard times at the moment I am apprehensive about my prospects.

My dad used to work at lloyds and he lost his job there during the last recession due to cut backs etc, luckily he got another job there 7 years later! But, it was tough, he remembers watching people leave everyday and everyone wondering who'd be next..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    My dad used to work at lloyds and he lost his job there during the last recession due to cut backs etc, luckily he got another job there 7 years later! But, it was tough, he remembers watching people leave everyday and everyone wondering who'd be next..
    It'll be like that in every business if the economy hits rock bottom - that's the really worrying part.

ReputationRep:
    NO, i've got no Job, I've graduated 3 months ago, i stay at home everyday, i have no intension to find a job.
    I enjoy the TV programms on the recession and learned a lot of knowledge about economy.
    It seems that i got sth(knowledge) in the finacial crisis, lost nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for a job for aaages. XD Hopefully once I've got my job things wont be as bad. All the prices are going up though and most of the jobs I'm applying for are minimum wage which wont get me much. :P If fewer people needed a job I'd have more chance of getting a better paid one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    ouch. that's a mega fail
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Just a slight issue then :p:
    Aye, tis a bit of a *****. Worth noting though that that account which was started at uni about 4 years ago with £5,000 from my gran and a PT job currently stands at 20x that, notwithstanding the losses and it being raped for a nice car last year! So I wouldn't suggest anybody who really wants to do it is discouraged.

I do enjoy trading, but it can be bloody stressful, and is probably responsible for much of my caffeine intake! That 100k was gonna go towards a house too. Oh well, theres always the future, and it's a learning experience overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Aye, tis a bit of a *****. Worth noting though that that account which was started at uni about 4 years ago with £5,000 from my gran and a PT job currently stands at 20x that, notwithstanding the losses and it being raped for a nice car last year! So I wouldn't suggest anybody who really wants to do it is discouraged.

I do enjoy trading, but it can be bloody stressful, and is probably responsible for much of my caffeine intake! That 100k was gonna go towards a house too. Oh well, theres always the future, and it's a learning experience overall
    I have to say, for a man who's lost 100k that's a very calm, composed and philosophical outlook! Kudos tbf. Looks like you're still doing well, fortunately. If you ever become mega rich and own your own business in London with jobs going, give us a shout

ReputationRep:
    well ive had 7 jobs so far
    left 5
    leaving one today
    i dont know if its because employers are becoming more bossy or there like that but ive just havnt had a nice experience within work. Just working at orange and asda at the moment leaving tesco's today because theres power mad managers and the only people who can take their abuse is immigrants. lol other than that lack of mortgages has effected me i was looking to buy soon. However im sure things will be better in the near future weve had it too good for too long boom and bust is back

ReputationRep:
    also lost 6000 on my shares which i could recoup back but not looking to sell yet so i should be fine hopefully. But my asda contract runs out after 12 weeks!!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, where I work we're not making money anywhere near like we used to, therefore not meeting targets, so we all lost our £300 bonus this month. Looks like next month is gonna be the same. Bad times Not to mention Asda's '3 for £3' pizzas now being '3 for £4'. Shocking haha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.