The Student Room Group

Msc in real estate development at MIT

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts on the program?
What do you want to achieve?

I see you've also asked basically the same question about an LSE course on another post.

If you look at the MIT course (https://my.visme.co/view/ojqvn0q4-msred-digital-packet) from a UK perspective it seems quite a strange beast, I would expect a MSc Real Estate Development to mention the RICS (irrespective of country). From a cursory glance it feels like they're trying to offer something like an MBA as they're looking for min 3yrs relevant experience some prior economics knowledge etc and an $80,000 tuition bill.

Basically no-one in the UK is going to have come across anyone holding this degree (they give a nice map that shows <10 graduates from the course in the UK).

I can see some interestingly titled modules (I'm not sure off hand how their units match against the credits we use in the UK for module sizes) but that feels fairly focussed on economics, finance and housing, it appears to be short on valuation, law and planning (or maybe they're expecting that as prior knowledge as they're targeting experienced people).

The LSE course does mention its RICS accreditation so it will have much more currency with UK (and most other countries) employers. It's coming from an expectation of you coming with economic analysis skills. From my cursory glance it seems to be focussing on people who want to secure work with an investment company in their property portfolios - yes some very high wages achievable - but quite a narrow field. Fees come in at £28,000 which seems much more sensible (although still rather painful from my perspective)

Now my plug - if you are coming from any other subject a non-cognate MSc Real Estate/Real Estate Management would seem a much more sensible proposition - these tend to be much more practically focussed than either of the above two courses (or at least my reading of how they portray themselves) These will be readily understood by the practical developers - eg: the large house builders, the global real estate firms etc. Mine at Birmingham City University comes at a much more reasonably £8,000 (for UK citizens) - we take you from a clear starting point and try and give you both practical as well as theoretical experience of the sort of knowledge and skills that the real estate industry (valuation, development, commercial property) is looking for.
The MIT Msred will be positioned like Cambridge Mphil real estate finance and the part time MSc real estate investment and finance etc courses at Reading Henley business school. The latter requires graduate level employment in real estate development, fund management, consultancy etc and most doing the Cambridge course will likely have few years experience. MIT used to be accredited by RICS but as it has little importance in US, I think they dropped it. To be honest, it is good to have but carries little importance other than qualifying as MRICS etc. Most will not bother as will be working on real estate private equity development side etc where is not needed.

LSE course tends to be more on academic side and lacks many modules for development or those focussing on private equity, investment management etc. Cass comes in at a distant third. Although, consensus is Reading Henley and Cambridge are the two best leaders.

MIT is MIT after all so will land you good positions in either UK or US. Although, if intentions are to work in UK then you maybe over killing it. Both Cambridge and Reading Henley are priced more reasonable, under £25k (much healthier on bank balance than $80k) and will both give same opportunity in UK - given you are already a strong candidate to get admitted to MIT. So if working in US go for MIT and if not consider the two leading UK masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending