Turn on thread page Beta

Aargh! disaster :( watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My cousins' dog had died Which is bad in itself, but what is worse is that their mum is in South Africa visiting her brother who is dying of cancer and I have taken her place for a week. My uncle took the dog to the vet this morning and she had to be put down. Tomorrow my uncle is going away too so I am left looking after the kids. How do I cope with 3 already upset children who are just about to be told even more heartbraking news?? They are such sweet kids who are already missing their mum and I am dreading what it is going to be like when they come home from school. To make matters worse, they live in Holland and all the rest of the family live in england so I/we have no-one to go to for support
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I forgot to say that I have never experienced anyone dying, not even a pet. I would be really greatful is someone could give me some advice on what to say/do that will help to comfort my cousins.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that the dog wasn't well and that it had to be put to sleep to put it out of its pain. You wish it didn't have to happen, but it was better than him being in pain all the time.

That's how my dad explained it to me when I was a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    Tell them that the dog wasn't well and that it had to be put to sleep to put it out of its pain. You wish it didn't have to happen, but it was better than him being in pain all the time.

That's how my dad explained it to me when I was a kid.
    :yep: That's the best solution. Keep your chin up, and just smile. Take each day as it comes. In addition, make sure that you all stick together.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks guys. I have had a phone call from school saying one of my cousins has been crying because she has guessed what has happened I know I have to keep them in routine but it is hard cooking, cleaning and doing the washing for 3 kids that aren't yours plus all the instructions to do everything are in dutch! I will let them have chocolate fondu tonight, might cheer them up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_louise)
    Thanks guys. I have had a phone call from school saying one of my cousins has been crying because she has guessed what has happened I know I have to keep them in routine but it is hard cooking, cleaning and doing the washing for 3 kids that aren't yours plus all the instructions to do everything are in dutch! I will let them have chocolate fondu tonight, might cheer them up a bit.

Ah, i'm so sorry to hear about that. Do things a bit at a time, you'll wear yourself out otherwise. That would be nice to do for them, I bet they'd love it, I think it would put a smile on their faces. How old are they anyway?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The eldest is 14 so she is pretty mature the other two are 11 and 9.

ReputationRep:
    Can she help you with some things? Do something together, like making a cake, watching a film or something.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah- I'm not sure if I should make them do homework (keep them in routine, keep them busy), or let them have a night off and write a note in their planner to their teachers.

ReputationRep:
    I would keep them busy myself.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Talon)
    I would keep them busy myself.

They are at school at the moment and then they all have some activity or party to go to afterwards so they are pretty busy. It was quite strange really, after they heard the news and there was the initial crying they all went really hyper. Today they were more subdued.

This should really be in H&R but oh well!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.