Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so this time next week im hoping to be moving away to my *hopefully* new job in nottinghamshire..woop.

Anyway my wages will be around the £900 mark, plus im looking at doing some cash in hand waitressing a few night a week when i have the time. so i'm currently looking at places to live, and am wondering, for those who have lived by themselves, what sort of area should I be looking for in the budget for rent

£400 = rent
    £100 = travel (eg car insurance and petrol)

and then it occured to me, how much is the bills, eg council tax, water, electricity, what is it i need to take into account? or should i expect this £400 to include bills??

Basically after some tips really

ReputationRep:
    i'd suggest you aim slightly lower for rent, bills will depend on a lot of things and it's possible you'd be without any money for emergencies/enjoyment.
    as a guide, my monthly budget:
    rent: £500 (split in 2)
    water: £45 - water is very weird as last year i was in a 6 bed house paying a portion of £30 per month and this year in a 2 bed it's so much more!
    coucil tax: £900 per year for a group B (with 25% discount), can't remember quite how it's split throughout the year
    electricity and gas: £90 direct debit at the moment, but will be adjusted depending on usage
    food: average of £30 per week
    internet: £17 per month
    phone: £25-30

ReputationRep:
    Ok my monthly budget is
    Rent: £500
    Council tax: £109
    Electricity and gas: I think it's about £25
    Internet and Sky: £17
    Water: £20
    TV Licence: £11
    Landline: £11
    Food: £100
    Car: £30 petrol, £25 insurance

Between us we bring in £1000 (my partners wage) a month and £2000 (my wage) a month. And our outgoings are approx £900 a month. Although we do spend £260 a month repayed our car loan, £40 a month on our loan for our bed and £50 a month on our loan for our sofa.

In your situation, I think you need to probably look at lower rent than £400, although if you did manage to get a place for £400 with say the council tax included in that, it would be do-able.

ReputationRep:
    For me and my partner in out one bedroom flat is:-

Rent - £480
    Gas and Electricity - £48
    Sky/TV/Phone - £27
    Council Tax - £105
    Water - £17
    TV License - £11
    Food - About £60-70

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    Ok my monthly budget is
    Rent: £500
    Council tax: £109
    Electricity and gas: I think it's about £25
    Internet and Sky: £17
    Water: £20
    TV Licence: £11
    Landline: £11
    Car: £30 petrol, £25 insurance

Between us we bring in £1000 (my partners wage) a month and £2000 (my wage) a month. And our outgoings are approx £900 a month. Although we do spend £260 a month repayed our car loan, £40 a month on our loan for our bed and £50 a month on our loan for our sofa.

In your situation, I think you need to probably look at lower rent than £400, although if you did manage to get a place for £400 with say the council tax included in that, it would be do-able.

Yeah i've fallen in love with this place, looked at it yesterday and really considering going for it...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...&mam_disp=true

i didn't consider telephone, and internet etc..although i guess some companies do packages, the sky thing sounds a good idea really..i know my dad has the telephone, wireless and tv for around £20 a month..hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Oh it looks nice! And it's a good rent definitely! When it says part furnished, you will have to remember you'll need to get a bed and sofa as well! Although if you're on a budget you can get those relatively cheaply. Unless you already have them of course lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    Oh it looks nice! And it's a good rent definitely! When it says part furnished, you will have to remember you'll need to get a bed and sofa as well! Although if you're on a budget you can get those relatively cheaply. Unless you already have them of course lol.

well bed wise..as im a singlton, it would be a single bed..although one can't complain with a double, i'll bring my single one along and then look in charity shops for a double after xmas (OR alternatively ASK for one for xmas..hmmm)

and ive got a tv..draws, wardrobes..etc etc, plus pots, pans..one of the benefits of being a uni drop out :rolleyes:

AND a ready paid tv licence lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    Yeah i've fallen in love with this place, looked at it yesterday and really considering going for it...

i didn't consider telephone, and internet etc..although i guess some companies do packages, the sky thing sounds a good idea really..i know my dad has the telephone, wireless and tv for around £20 a month..hmmm
    sorry to be nosy but if your permantly banned how can you post responses?

ReputationRep:

My knowledge of the property market is woeful, so apologies if I'm way off the mark, but isn't £370 a month for a one bedroom apartment rather steep, especially considering it's in the Midlands? I was under the impression the property market was coming down, leading to a decrease in prices of late.

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider a house share? There should be plenty of people looking for a housemate, that way you'll (possibly) also have ready made friends for when you move to a new city and rent/bills will be so much cheaper.

Just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeesKnees)
    Would you consider a house share? There should be plenty of people looking for a housemate, that way you'll (possibly) also have ready made friends for when you move to a new city and rent/bills will be so much cheaper.

Just a suggestion.
    ohhh, i've considered it, but all the places ive been have been full of people who, well..i just dont want to live with lol

I like my space, order etc..and a nice place to myself which i can keep whilst at uni sounds like heaven

ReputationRep:
    Also, Forest Fields is a grotty area. Students seem to like it cos it is cheaper than most, but seriously, I have never felt safe around there.

Also, in Nottingham, average rent for a room is about £50-60 a week, so you could save an awful lot of money by moving in with someone rather than a one bed flat. You could get a two bed terrace is other places in nottingham like Beeston or Chilwell and then rent one of the rooms out and the rent for the whole thing would be about £450. Don't be seduced by laminate floors and stainless steel kitchens when the area is a dump. Bear in mind if you live in a rough area your car insurance and stuff sky rockets.

Anyway, I used to live in Beeston for 3 years in Nottingham. I used to pay (on average as lived in a few different houses):

Rent: £180-240/month (sharing with people, normally only one or two others)
    Bills: £100/month (every month, and then you don't get a shock when the big heating bill for winter comes. Any left over I spend on fun things)
    Council tax: Band A (cheapest one) was £1100 a year in Nottingham, so I guess its about £100 a month, split between however many people you live with. If you are alone, you get a 25% single occupancy discount.
    Water: Its a one off amount for Severn Trent water unless you are on a meter. Can't remember exactly, but between £400-600 a year. I used to pay that off all in one, but you can do it monthly
    TV license: £11/month
    Home phone:£11/month
    Internet: £15/month
    Misc: £200
    Insurance: £?
    Car: £?

Really, especially if you are keeping your car on, you need to be looking at less than that a month for rent. If you have a car you could go further out to other areas around Nottingham. If you aren't keeping the car make sure there are good bus links (though most places have good bus links in Notts). Also think about whether you want to be living on your own.

Check out websites for flatshares, and also www.gumtree.com, call up letting agents in the Notts area such as Whitegates, CP Walker etc and they will be able to find you something you like. £370 is steep for that area, but not steep for a one bed flat. If you go into the city you are talking £100+ for a shiny, new one bed flat. Think about looking at a house, and you could make profit from a flatmate.

Good luck.

Any questions about Nottingham, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    Also, Forest Fields is a grotty area. Students seem to like it cos it is cheaper than most, but seriously, I have never felt safe around there.

Also, in Nottingham, average rent for a room is about £50-60 a week, so you could save an awful lot of money by moving in with someone rather than a one bed flat. You could get a two bed terrace is other places in nottingham like Beeston or Chilwell and then rent one of the rooms out and the rent for the whole thing would be about £450. Don't be seduced by laminate floors and stainless steel kitchens when the area is a dump. Bear in mind if you live in a rough area your car insurance and stuff sky rockets.

Anyway, I used to live in Beeston for 3 years in Nottingham. I used to pay (on average as lived in a few different houses):

Rent: £180-240/month (sharing with people, normally only one or two others)
    Bills: £100/month (every month, and then you don't get a shock when the big heating bill for winter comes. Any left over I spend on fun things)
    Council tax: Band A (cheapest one) was £1100 a year in Nottingham, so I guess its about £100 a month, split between however many people you live with. If you are alone, you get a 25% single occupancy discount.
    Water: Its a one off amount for Severn Trent water unless you are on a meter. Can't remember exactly, but between £400-600 a year. I used to pay that off all in one, but you can do it monthly
    TV license: £11/month
    Home phone:£11/month
    Internet: £15/month
    Misc: £200
    Insurance: £?
    Car: £?

Really, especially if you are keeping your car on, you need to be looking at less than that a month for rent. If you have a car you could go further out to other areas around Nottingham. If you aren't keeping the car make sure there are good bus links (though most places have good bus links in Notts). Also think about whether you want to be living on your own.

Check out websites for flatshares, and also www.gumtree.com, call up letting agents in the Notts area such as Whitegates, CP Walker etc and they will be able to find you something you like. £370 is steep for that area, but not steep for a one bed flat. If you go into the city you are talking £100+ for a shiny, new one bed flat. Think about looking at a house, and you could make profit from a flatmate.

Good luck.

Any questions about Nottingham, just ask.
    hmm it makes sense to live with people but i dont think i'll be happy, i have found 2 bedroomed coach house which i may look for someone to share with though

im working at john lewis, at the victoria centre, which area of nottingham should i be looking to live??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fungirl1234)
    sorry to be nosy but if your permantly banned how can you post responses?
    She's just changed her custom user title to that.
    Subscribers can do it.

ReputationRep:
    you waitresses always wanting tips :P depends if you want to save money or be independant is the question i'd ask myself before asking how much the water bill is.

ReputationRep:
    How/Why do you working guys spend so little on food? I spend more than £100 monthly just going out for meals and stuff with mates a few times a month or whatever...

ReputationRep:
    hmm it makes sense to live with people but i dont think i'll be happy, i have found 2 bedroomed coach house which i may look for someone to share with though

im working at john lewis, at the victoria centre, which area of nottingham should i be looking to live??
    I know the feeling of wanting to have your own place, its just it pushes up the costs so much. For example, you have to heat your home regardless of how many people live there. If more than one lives there, you can split the cost.

To be honest working at the victoria centre, it isn't going to matter where you live so much as the bus links there are very good. All buses will either stop there, or will stop at Nottingham Broadmarsh bus station which is probably about a ten minute (fast) walk from Victoria Centre.

Areas of Nottingham

Lenton
    Popular student area. Filled with lots of lovely large victorian/edwardian houses with like no less than 3 beds. Some are however split into flats. Nice enough area but you can tell students live there and I always found it hard to get to a decent sized supermarket without having a car. Borders onto the Park. Near Canning circus which has a few restaurants and pubs. About 10-20 minute walk from the Queens Medical Centre. Can get the Number 5 bus there too, which would also take you to the big fancy campus, in University Park. Houses here are owned primarily by Private landlords rather than letting agents.

The Park
    Swishest part of Nottingham. Full of millionaires houses.

Forest fields
    This is another student area, and also a very multicultural community. It is basically, the red light district of Nottingham. The actual Fields are all right as that is where they hold the big Goose Fair and stuff. But like I said, I have never felt safe there.

Castle Marina
    Down a big hill from the park. Quite a new area really. Full of new fancy flats, and a sainsburies. Not sure about transport links though.

West Bridgeford
    Little bit further out. Meant to be a nice area and so costs more. You would probably need a car to live here. Also, see Mapperly if you want to drive in.

Beeston
    About 4 miles from Notts centre. Good bus links, every 6 minutes to town. has its own little town centre of shops, e.g. somerfield, sainsburies, dotty P, WHSmiths, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers. I really liked it. Lots of old people lol and lots of students who started uni at the Broadgate park halls, and spent there second and third years in Beeston. Beeston Rylands is to the south of Beeston. More residential, but walking distance from Beeston.

Chilwell
    To the left of Beeston. Residential. Families and such like. Cheap houses to be found. check there are bus links though.

Hyson green and Radford
    Ghetto central. Or so I have heard. Big Asda however. Lots of rude boy kids walking around. Very Asian area so some wonderful supermarkets.

Sneinton
    Further out. Don't know a lot about.

Carlton
    Far out.

Sherwood
    North of Victoria Centre. Bit of a drive. Does have buses I think. Fairly cheap. Have friends who live there in a nice new development for fairly cheap. They have a car though.

Meadows and St. Anns
    Where people get shot and fire bombed in their flats.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    I know the feeling of wanting to have your own place, its just it pushes up the costs so much. For example, you have to heat your home regardless of how many people live there. If more than one lives there, you can split the cost.

To be honest working at the victoria centre, it isn't going to matter where you live so much as the bus links there are very good. All buses will either stop there, or will stop at Nottingham Broadmarsh bus station which is probably about a ten minute (fast) walk from Victoria Centre.

Areas of Nottingham

Lenton
    Popular student area. Filled with lots of lovely large victorian/edwardian houses with like no less than 3 beds. Some are however split into flats. Nice enough area but you can tell students live there and I always found it hard to get to a decent sized supermarket without having a car. Borders onto the Park. Near Canning circus which has a few restaurants and pubs. About 10-20 minute walk from the Queens Medical Centre. Can get the Number 5 bus there too, which would also take you to the big fancy campus, in University Park. Houses here are owned primarily by Private landlords rather than letting agents.

The Park
    Swishest part of Nottingham. Full of millionaires houses.

Forest fields
    This is another student area, and also a very multicultural community. It is basically, the red light district of Nottingham. The actual Fields are all right as that is where they hold the big Goose Fair and stuff. But like I said, I have never felt safe there.

Castle Marina
    Down a big hill from the park. Quite a new area really. Full of new fancy flats, and a sainsburies. Not sure about transport links though.

West Bridgeford
    Little bit further out. Meant to be a nice area and so costs more. You would probably need a car to live here. Also, see Mapperly if you want to drive in.

Beeston
    About 4 miles from Notts centre. Good bus links, every 6 minutes to town. has its own little town centre of shops, e.g. somerfield, sainsburies, dotty P, WHSmiths, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers. I really liked it. Lots of old people lol and lots of students who started uni at the Broadgate park halls, and spent there second and third years in Beeston. Beeston Rylands is to the south of Beeston. More residential, but walking distance from Beeston.

Chilwell
    To the left of Beeston. Residential. Families and such like. Cheap houses to be found. check there are bus links though.

Hyson green and Radford
    Ghetto central. Or so I have heard. Big Asda however. Lots of rude boy kids walking around. Very Asian area so some wonderful supermarkets.

Sneinton
    Further out. Don't know a lot about.

Carlton
    Far out.

Sherwood
    North of Victoria Centre. Bit of a drive. Does have buses I think. Fairly cheap. Have friends who live there in a nice new development for fairly cheap. They have a car though.

Meadows and St. Anns
    Where people get shot and fire bombed in their flats.

Hope that helps.

ahh see i dont want to bother with buses etc, i'd rather walk to work, even if its a fair walk, and use my car for long distance journeys! saves costs on gym membership and bus passes etc lol

so which of these areas are in a comfortable walking distance to the centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    I was under the impression the property market was coming down, leading to a decrease in prices of late.
    House prices are falling, but fewer people are buying which puts more pressure on the rental market, thus maintaining or even increasing prices there.

ReputationRep:
    ahh see i dont want to bother with buses etc, i'd rather walk to work, even if its a fair walk, and use my car for long distance journeys! saves costs on gym membership and bus passes etc lol

so which of these areas are in a comfortable walking distance to the centre?
    Nottingham has a lot of large roads and by passes which cross through the centre making it hard to navigate as a pedestrian. You can live in central areas such as Hockley, but these are expensive. Lovely, but expensive. The park is also near the centre. If you are in the top part of Lenton walking wouldn't be so bad. Castle Marina maybe. St. Anns is walking distance, but not desirable.

It just isn't a very pedestrian friendly place before you get into the centre, where it is very pedestrianised. Buses are fairly cheap though. There's also trams. As for gyms, I think there is a virgin active somewhere in town, but aside from that, there is a few driving distance out like in Chilwell, or you could use the uni's one.

Have you been for a visit?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.