Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who else hates those art critic/fan types who look down on other people? I have nothing against art myself. But, i have never understood why so many art people think themselves superior by virtue of their interest in art. I mean, not to degrade it, but art isn't exactly rocket science. I don;t think anyone would put an artist on a par with einstein or newton in terms of genius, not even close, yet the most intelligent people i know never look down on others anywhere near as much as most arty students/critics that i know.,

And when i say ''think themselves superior'', i dont necessarily mean culturally superior. A lot of these art people actually seem to genuinely regard themselves as intellectually superior to anybody who doesn't ''appreciate'' the arts.

I was taught by an art teacher once who actually also worked as a pro artist. Oe day he actually got a bit snobby with me and called me ''unenlightened'' because i didnt enjoy his art. to which i replied ''i've been looked down upon in the past. ofen with good reason. but i aint gonna be looked down upon by a fully grown man who paints pictures for a living''. And at the end of the day, amazing as art can be, artists have no justification for being so far up themselves.

if a world reknowned quantum physicist or some nobel prize winner wants to look down on me then please be my guest. i an inferior to you and i accept it. But these snobby faux posh art losers can f off.

who agrees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    Who else hates those art critic/fan types who look down on other people? I have nothing against art myself. But, i have never understood why so many art people think themselves superior by virtue of their interest in art. I mean, not to degrade it, but art isn't exactly rocket science. I don;t think anyone would put an artist on a par with einstein or newton in terms of genius, not even close, yet the most intelligent people i know never look down on others anywhere near as much as most arty students/critics that i know.,

And when i say ''think themselves superior'', i dont necessarily mean culturally superior. A lot of these art people actually seem to genuinely regard themselves as intellectually superior to anybody who doesn't ''appreciate'' the arts.

I was taught by an art teacher once who actually also worked as a pro artist. Oe day he actually got a bit snobby with me and called me ''unenlightened'' because i didnt enjoy his art. to which i replied ''i've been looked down upon in the past. ofen with good reason. but i aint gonna be looked down upon by a fully grown man who paints pictures for a living''. And at the end of the day, amazing as art can be, artists have no justification for being so far up themselves.

if a world reknowned quantum physicist or some nobel prize winner wants to look down on me then please be my guest. i an inferior to you and i accept it. But these snobby faux posh art losers can f off.

who agrees?
    Hah, philistine.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to rail at some people? I don't know if that helps getting positive feedback or friends. If you don't like these people then that's fair enough, but "snobby faux posh art losers" sounds very insulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Are you trying to rail at some people? I don't know if that helps getting positive feedback or friends. If you don't like these people then that's fair enough, but "snobby faux posh art losers" sounds very insulting.
    I think it sums them up pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    FAIL.

Just cuz you're bad at art

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice)
    FAIL.

Just cuz you're bad at art
    yes i am. But it's not art i'm against. It;s the idiots who think it's a higher form of thinking who i'm against

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    I think it sums them up pretty well.
    Maybe it just sums your vocabulary up pretty well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Maybe it just sums your vocabulary up pretty well?
    i don't think so. I just don't have any airs and graces. i'm straight to the point.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an incredibly arty person but I don't feel the need to look down on people. It's probably more to do with their social demographic, and less to do with the fact that they like art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    I'm an incredibly arty person but I don't feel the need to look down on people. It's probably more to do with their social demographic, and less to do with the fact that they like art.
    That is a good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    i don't think so. I just don't have any airs and graces. i'm straight to the point.
    Good for you! But it is still insulting.

ReputationRep:
    Cultured people crack me up. To be fair to them though, cultured guys get laid. So there's method to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthejubileeline)
    Cultured people crack me up. To be fair to them though, cultured guys get laid. So there's method to it.
    i can be cultured if you want me to be baby You're pretty fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    That is a good point.
    I reckon it is anyway. I go to a state college and none of the people I know compare themselves to the likes of Einstein. And even if they did do that, they're the ones who are gonna look like idiots?

ReputationRep:
    Im probably going to agree with you because I have encountered a fair few people like this, though often I've noticed these kinds of people are actually really stupid and failed at most academic subjects and quite probably hide their lack of interests behind a haircut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    Actually cultured guys annoy the hell out of me, I was just commenting generally. I'm about as cultured as a turd And thanks, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthejubileeline)
    Actually cultured guys annoy the hell out of me, I was just commenting generally. I'm about as cultured as a turd And thanks, lol
    Snap. Let's get jiggy :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I never expected to find myself wanting to defend art, but you've got to admit, it does take a lot of skill. You can't tell me Leornardo or John Constable or even someone like Henry Moore weren't outrageously talented when it comes to visual art.

Admittedly, it usually leaves me emotionally cold, but I think that's just me, some people can find as much in Turner as I do in Beethoven, and some of the snobby claims you level at the art world can apply equally as well to classical music, so I'm inclined to think that you're attacking something subjectively rather than objectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    I hate people like you.

Why is it that you think you can ask out every "pretty girl" you find? You annoy the heck out of males like me, imagine how annoying girls must find you.

ReputationRep:
    i know the kind of people ur talking about, it does get annoying sometimes

but they're not all like that... i'm not an art person, so i have no reason to defend it... but i did study it at gcse (novice level but anyhow, i got a tiny insight into it) it was a bit mean saying it's not like rocket science... it takes some skill, and the satisfaction u get from completing an oil painting or whatever ur working on is unparalleled to other subjects... maybe not so much the modern crap, but studying classic works of art, i could appreciate how much time and effort goes into it... and they look quite nice too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.