The Student Room Group

Exam boards having you know specific things which don't show up in revision guides.

Hi all, I was recently revising electrolysis and did a test and realised some parts that I needed to know as per the examboard, such as how electrolysis works on Lead Bromide wasn't exactly taught in the AQA GCSE book, this made me think that I could be missing out very important details in topics, so I ask how on earth do I revise, I've tried everything but I need a good answer.
Have a look at the specification and cross check it against your book and make a plan. Or the other way round. It could just be that the book is slightly out of date ? Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Backseatdriving
Have a look at the specification and cross check it against your book and make a plan. Or the other way round. It could just be that the book is slightly out of date ? Good luck

What's the specification? Also I'm sure it's the latest, I just don't want to miss out details that my Teachers want me to know
Original post by ragedose
What's the specification? Also I'm sure it's the latest, I just don't want to miss out details that my Teachers want me to know

if you think you are missing out on things that your teachers want you to know, it would probably be best to ask them what they want you to know. You could explain your concerns about the electrolysis parts then.

More generally, the specification is the list on the AQA website which sets out what each exam / subject has to cover. You may find it helpful to have a look at it - if you havent been given it previously by your teachers you could ask them for the information on the specification too. There are a lot of variations and it is important that you look at the one that your teachers are teaching you. If you accidentally looked at the wrong one you could end up learning / revising all the wrong things. So first step, talk to your teachers.

Good luck with the rest of your studies.
Original post by ragedose
Hi all, I was recently revising electrolysis and did a test and realised some parts that I needed to know as per the examboard, such as how electrolysis works on Lead Bromide wasn't exactly taught in the AQA GCSE book, this made me think that I could be missing out very important details in topics, so I ask how on earth do I revise, I've tried everything but I need a good answer.

Don't fall into the trap of relying on one textbook - I'd use a range of resources. Oftentimes the official endorsed AQA textbook for each science lacked information which was found in places like the CGP guide or PMT.

If you want a *fully* comprehensive resource, I suggest subscribing to SaveMyExams which had everything that could ever come up on a paper ever (I'm not joking, literally everything is on there)

Quick Reply

Latest