The Student Room Group

Boyfriend?

Please leave anon.

I have suffered with anxiety for pretty much the last ten years, I'm 21 now. And have always found alot of social situations difficult. Not that I avoid them, I do try my hardest to force myself to go out.. and usually once I get past the anxiety I feel fine and enjoy myself.
But recently I have met an amazing guy, I think we could be good together. But I'm worried, new and scary situations such as this make my anxiety so much worse, and I've started trying to find excuse to get out of the plans we make. He has been really understanding so far (I havent told him about my anxiety problems yet) but I do think eventually he's going to get bored and move on.
I'd really appreciate any helpful/good advice. Thankyou.
Reply 1
I think it would be best to sit him down and let him know about your anxiety problems because if you don't, he may interpret certain things you do as 'weird' or the like and then eventually move on.

He should be able to understand, if he doesn't and just acts off with you afterwards, then you'll know he isn't right for you/doesn't care for you as much as you may think.

Aside from that, you could try to see a councillor for your anxiety problems. It may seem daunting but I do have a friend in a similar situation and she says it's helpful to talk to someone if you don't already. Also try and join various different societies (at uni) or extra-curricular activities. You'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 2
I'm not sure about telling him all about it this soon, I've only just told one of my best friends who I have known since I was 6.
How would I go about telling him?
Reply 3
Dress yourself up. If you think you look pretty before you meet him, you can relax. The rest is the guys job. Just laugh at his jokes and respond to what he's saying.

Latest