The Student Room Group

What should I do at the start of Year 10?

I don’t think past papers would be a good option. Should I start making flash cards or do some revision?
Reply 1
If you're really keen to start ahead of others I would suggest:

- Finding your subject's specification online and reading through some BBC bitesize revision guides.
- Making flashcards and notes on topics you have already covered that you know will be in the exam
- Learning exam technique for long answer questions (bear in mind this is different for almost every subject so I would research that as well)
- Especially for mathsy subjects like physics make sure to learn how to lay out answers to questions.
- Other than that you can simply read around the subject as a whole
Enjoy your time, play video games, do a sport, hang out with your friends.
genuinely at the start of year ten I would generally more or less stay calm, just make sure you’re absorbing content well and keeping on top of homework and any topic tests you have throughout. Make flashcards if that’s your thing. I would say though genuinely do not start on like hard revision September year 10 you would just burn out and really prioritise your mental health, that behaviour could turn unhealthy into further issues such as anxiety. I would also say (I’m going into year 13 fyi) that there are so many revision resources for subjects like sciences that if you want to make any (keep all the ones you make for any topic tests!) prioritise the subjects which don’t. Science CGP has flashcards for the course they’re an absolute godsend and I really recommend them as with revision guides. However subjects such as English where a lot is your own perspective on texts or history where there’s so much application make sure you keep your class notes tidy and you stay refreshed because you don’t want to have to formulate your own option on set texts days before any test, and you don’t want to just regurgitate notes from revision guides for these subjects because it’s not going to go very far as these are about demonstrating your understanding etc rather than just your knowledge. Overall stay calm, just make sure you stay on top of your class notes, that they’re tidy, and you’re staying focused and active during lessons. Don’t stress it (at least yet!)
Past papers are actually a very good starting point. They get you used to the exam style long before you even need to take them, you'll learn question layouts and also how to structure answers.

Give it a try before throwing it.

In addition, depending on how you learn, I found it useful watching videos online and writing short bullet points to summarise learning
Revise as you go along with flashcards. Try things like mindmaps and blurting to see what works for you.

For the sciences, a revision guide or online resources (Seneca, Cognito, freesciencelessons) might help. You won’t have done enough content for past papers, but past paper questions for specific topics on Physics and Maths Tutor would be good whenever a test approaches.

Maths Genie is good for any maths topics. For English Literature, learning quotes and techniques would be useful. For English Language, make sure you know your word categories (determiner, adjective, phrasal verb, proper noun) for analysis. Practising creative and formal writing also makes progress.

Finally, take things slowly. Starting with half an hour every weekday and or an hour on the weekend will make things so much easier.
Reply 6
Original post by liamalaing
Past papers are actually a very good starting point. They get you used to the exam style long before you even need to take them, you'll learn question layouts and also how to structure answers.

Give it a try before throwing it.

In addition, depending on how you learn, I found it useful watching videos online and writing short bullet points to summarise learning

I agree, but I would note to op that they should do past papers in chronological order so when they are closer to exams they can do more recent past papers.
Thanks for all replies! Appreciate it :smile:
Original post by jellycannon
I don’t think past papers would be a good option. Should I start making flash cards or do some revision?

try to be yourself and not take any advice which wont be helpful to you . doing revision is good but not too much as if you do you'll burn yourself out and thats gonna be good to get into that habit . Flash cards are good but mind maps are good too or bullet points.

Quick Reply

Latest