The Student Room Group

a levels - hoping to go into law

I just got my GSCE results, and did well. A*A*AAAAABBB ( A* in eng, 6 in math) . I'm planning to do biology psychology and sociology for a level, and I have a few questions.

Is biology a level hard? as in hard to get an A in. I got a 7 for my gsce and enjoy the subject but don't wanna pick it if its gonna be a struggle.

are my results fine for top uni's like UCL/KCL etc, provided i get good a levels?

is going for a law degree worth it? im really interested in it, but does it also good financially for the future?
Sciences are hard, I have heard (I didn’t do biology, I did physics btw) biology A level is a lot of content memorising, not very difficult content, however. If you enjoyed biology and are ok with that, then by all means take it.
As for getting in to UCL/KCL/other top unis (other than oxford) they really do not care that much about GCSEs and grades like these will not hold you back at all.
Can’t say too much for law, my knowledge on the subject is limited to better call Saul.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SMFreeze
Sciences are hard, I have heard (I didn’t do biology, I did physics btw) biology A level is a lot of content memorising, not very difficult content, however. If you enjoyed biology and are ok with that, then by all means take it.
As for getting in to UCL/KCL/other top unis (other than oxford) they really do not care that much about GCSEs and grades like these will not hold you back at all.
Can’t say too much for law, my knowledge on the subject is limited to better call Saul.

oh alright, i just changed chemistry to sociology, as i was also interested in medicine for a while, but i heard chemistry is really hard, and although i did good in science and kind of struggled in chemistry. If i ever want to go into medicine again ill just try and go to those universities that offer it with only biology . Thank you!:smile:
Biology psychology and sociology would not be that good for law. ideally add another traditional harder one to biology instead of one of the other more modern perhaps easier other two. History, English Literature and Biology would be good as English and writing and legal essay questions tend to mean essay type A levels like history and English literature have traditionally been suggested for law.
Original post by 17Student17
Biology psychology and sociology would not be that good for law. ideally add another traditional harder one to biology instead of one of the other more modern perhaps easier other two. History, English Literature and Biology would be good as English and writing and legal essay questions tend to mean essay type A levels like history and English literature have traditionally been suggested for law.

This is incorrect. The OPs original 3 A-levels are perfectly acceptable for law at those unis or any others.

Original post by springcelti
I just got my GSCE results, and did well. A*A*AAAAABBB ( A* in eng, 6 in math) . I'm planning to do biology psychology and sociology for a level, and I have a few questions.

Is biology a level hard? as in hard to get an A in. I got a 7 for my gsce and enjoy the subject but don't wanna pick it if its gonna be a struggle.

are my results fine for top uni's like UCL/KCL etc, provided i get good a levels?

is going for a law degree worth it? im really interested in it, but does it also good financially for the future?

Yes that's fine as long as you get good results. Law degrees don't care what subjects you take provided they are academic ones (which all of yours are) rather than vocational/applied (most of which don't exist as they've been reformed as T-Levels now anyway, or are only available as BTECs, which you aren't looking at by the look of things!).

Any A-level subject can be hard for some. For biology exam technique is extremely important and I gather a lot of students fail to develop the proper exam technique for A-level Biology exams and end up losing a lot of marks they could otherwise get. So that's something to bear in mind. But if you enjoy and are interested in the subject, and able/willing to put the time in to practice the exams and develop your exam technique to make sure you hit the marks, then there's no reason you can't do well in it :smile:

As far as whether a law degree is "worth it", that's a very variable question. Bear in mind you don't need to do a first degree in law to become a lawyer of either variety - you don't need a law degree at all to become a solicitor now (and even when you had to do a law degree or the GDL conversion, about 50% of solicitors polled by the SRA had a non-law first degree, so clearly not a barrier to not do law), and to become a barrister while some kind of law qualification is needed, there is no preference between the GDL + some other BA/BSc/etc and an LLB. Outside of law it'll be exactly the same as any other degree you could do (sociology, anthropology, archaeology, classics, earth sciences, physics, etc) for employment purposes for generalist grad schemes (i.e. the majority of them).

I'd probably say unless you have a specific interest in the academic study of law, it may not be the best option, just because it's a very dry subject at degree level I gather, and since it's not even explicitly needed to become a lawyer, you need to really just be interested in that specific academic area not relating to any professional or vocational elements, to make it not a hard and boring slog through. As otherwise you could just as well do something else you're really interested in (e.g. if you've always wanted to learn Egyptian hieroglyphs, do an Egyptology degree!) and then go into law afterwards (or anything else) anyway. Same end result, but you'd end up with a more enjoyable experience at uni and the memories may be more valuable to you later when you look back as a result :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending