The Student Room Group

My dad gets his ILR a month before I start university

Some things to note:

1. I moved to the UK in August of 2021

2. Not a UK citizen. Not an ILR holder.

3. I will be taking a deferment year to commence my uni studies in 2024. This would allow me to hit three years of residency (2021-2024)

4. My father will receive ILR in August of 2024.

Considering that initially when I apply in this cycle, I will be counted as an international student. But if I inform the university about the change in my circumstance when my dad gets his ILR as it is a month or even two months before the university course starts, could they change me to 'home'?

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Usually, yes, the Uni can revisit your fee status at any any point before you formally enrol.
Original post by Admit-One
Usually, yes, the Uni can revisit your fee status at any any point before you formally enrol.

Awesome, thank you.

Also, by formally enrol do you mean until you start the course?
Original post by Kausar Khan
Also, by formally enrol do you mean until you start the course?

Enrolment happens about 4-6wks ahead of the course start date. It’s the last step to confirm that you will be attending.
Enrolment happens about 4-6wks ahead of the course start date. It’s the last step to confirm that you will be attending.

Oh okay, mine is a pretty close call, but the change in circumstance definitely happens before 1st september which is when the course commeces. What happens if you are on deferment year and already have your results? Would the same thing apply?
Original post by Kausar Khan
Oh okay, mine is a pretty close call, but the change in circumstance definitely happens before 1st september which is when the course commeces. What happens if you are on deferment year and already have your results? Would the same thing apply?

Just to note that you don’t need to enrol as soon as the process starts for the year. You’ll usually be notified of the latest enrolment date.

Same applies with a deferred place, just don’t enrol until your fee status is resolved.
Great thank you, I’ll see how far it can be stretched. Hopefully a month before university should be good! Thanks for your help.

Just to note that you don’t need to enrol as soon as the process starts for the year. You’ll usually be notified of the latest enrolment date.

Same applies with a deferred place, just don’t enrol until your fee status is resolved.
When making decisions on fee status, higher education providers follow regulations produced by the Department for Education but may also exercise some discretion....While a student may be allocated home fee status by their higher education provider, they may still be unable to access support from Student Finance England.* https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/eligibility-for-home-fee-status-and-student-support-in-england/My daughter was classed as a home student by her univesity. UK citizen, resident in the UK at the start of her course 1/9/2021, before her couse started she had always lived in Spain.SFE repeatedly rejected her application for student finace this did not affect her home student fee status, but she had to pay the 9250GBP herself.(it now looks like SFE will give her a student loan and pay her fees, a year late but that is the time it takes to get up to speed on new laws). Update: The student loan was paid in October 2022, including a maintenance loan and course fees of 9250GBP this was paid direct to the university and the university then repaid her the money.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest