Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The 'Wolf Whistle' Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you like being 'wolf whistled' at?
    Yes - I am a girl
    17.44%
    No - I am a girl
    24.42%
    Indifferent - I am a girl
    15.12%
    Yes - I am boy
    10.47%
    No - I am a boy
    17.44%
    Indifferent - I am a boy
    15.12%

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't really care. When you live in London you get used to just blocking people out who try to approach in the street or make any kind of comment...maybe when you live in quieter places it's more of an infringement ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    How would the 'whistler' know except if you were actually with your partner though?
    Hmm they wouldn't but it doesn't stop me from feeling uncomfortable to be all giddy when getting 'wolf whistling' attention..Don't really know how to explain it :|...I think I just worded the previous post wrong..sorry:p:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I've never done it (as it requires a degree of confidence I don't have), but have been victim to it (from construction workers and all).
    It was ruddy hilarious when they realised I was a guy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candypants.)
    I pretend to be really annoyed...but really I'm flattered :ninja:
    :p: I'm the same, and I'm also in Bath,so hey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    What does the whistler actually want to achieve via whistling?

Some kind of reaction from a female supposedly, as they're so inept at it on any normal level. The majority of wolf whistlers I've seen are fat middle-aged men or really ugly teenage boys...and always seem a bit desperate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind, it's quite flattering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    He had more contact with me than someone who wolf whistles (they get an evil look at most).
    Score.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me, but when your own your own it's quite embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty_x)
    It doesn't bother me, but when your own your own it's quite embarrassing.

Why more embarassing when you are alone?

ReputationRep:
    I get embarrassed (and act annoyed if there's someone with me) but secretly flattered! I also tell myself I look like crap and they're just taking the piss just so I don't get any ideas. I have no confidence!

ReputationRep:
    I find it really embarrassing, like they're poking fun at me rather than complimenting.

ReputationRep:
    i find it really intimidating!!

ReputationRep:
    I find it nice when your having a bad day and you get a whistle. It makes me smile, not because someone is showing me attention simply because whenever I turn around it's a middle aged blad guy lol.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind if I thought it was a genuine sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    as a guy... i like it

a sharp slap in the ass is appreciated too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveshopping)
    i find it really intimidating!!
    Yes that too.

I've been known to add 15mins onto my journey to avoid a known group of builders in my area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    Why more embarassing when you are alone?
    'Cos usually you can make a joke about it with whoever you're with and laugh it off. But when youre' on your own all you can really do is go '...right'.
    I wouldn't mind it too much if the guy was hot, but it's always inevitably some middle aged dude/ royal mail person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by running_with_scissors)
    'Cos usually you can make a joke about it with whoever you're with and laugh it off. But when youre' on your own all you can really do is go '...right'.
    I wouldn't mind it too much if the guy was hot, but it's always inevitably some middle aged dude/ royal mail person
    Yuck. Which leads me to be even more confused as to why do they do it??

Do they think they have some kind of chance?

That's more of an insult than a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Yuck. Which leads me to be even more confused as to why do they do it??

Do they think they have some kind of chance?

That's more of an insult than a compliment.

In my opinion I think it's because it's the only interaction they have with females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Aw that was rather cute, especially with that extremely cute emoticon lool
    That emoticon always reminds me of a cookie for some reason!
    Also, you have annoyingly perfect eyebrows - please tell me they aren't natural! :o: *jealous*

I never get wolf-whistled at so I'm indifferent! Or, if it does happen, I'm with others so I assume it's for them or I'm dressed up and going out and the whistler is some distance away, so can't see my face - I assume they wouldn't whistle if they actually could.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.