The Student Room Group

What do I do about this job?

Okay so I went for a trial shift at a restaurant and from what I gathered it seemed to go well, I picked it up quite quickly and was friendly with all the staff and the manager. The trial was on a Saturday and I was told they would get back to me the next week. Well Friday of the next week rolls around and I still hadn't heard anything so I gave the manager a quick call to check in. He said they had had a nightmare of a week and they apologise, which is perfectly understandable, things happen. He said I'd hear from them the following week instead (aka this week) and still nothing. Yesterday (Friday), I shot him a text (he gave me his phone number and said it was cool for me to text him if I had any questions) asking if there was any progression on my application since. No reply.

I don't really know what to do at this point. Do I try calling again? Would that seem pushy? Do I assume I haven't got it? I mean they did say they would get back to be either way and given that there was only two other people shortlisted to do a trial shift it's not like there's an overwhelming amount of applicants to reply to. I'm just confused.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lanaisbrowsing
Okay so I went for a trial shift at a restaurant and from what I gathered it seemed to go well, I picked it up quite quickly and was friendly with all the staff and the manager. The trial was on a Saturday and I was told they would get back to me the next week. Well Friday of the next week rolls around and I still hadn't heard anything so I gave the manager a quick call to check in. He said they had had a nightmare of a week and they apologise, which is perfectly understandable, things happen. He said I'd hear from them the following week instead (aka this week) and still nothing. Yesterday (Friday), I shot him a text (he gave me his phone number and said it was cool for me to text him if I had any questions) asking if there was any progression on my application since. No reply.

I don't really know what to do at this point. Do I try calling again? Would that seem pushy? Do I assume I haven't got it? I mean they did say they would get back to be either way and given that there was only two other people shortlisted to do a trial shift it's not like there's an overwhelming amount of applicants to reply to. I'm just confused.

Honestly I wouldn’t bother. If they are too unbothered to even tell you you haven’t got the job then imagine what they will be like as an employer. Trial shifts are like open days…there are so many jobs out there at the moment and not enough staff I would look elsewhere. Make sure you get paid for your trial shift. (Unless you agreed to do it for free for some reason which would have been mistake number 1)
Original post by lanaisbrowsing

Unfortunately, not all jobs bother to let you know if you havent got the job (even if they say they will). Obviously it doesnt take much to send a quick text/email just to say you havent got the job.
You have been proactive and tried to chase it up.
There may be a slim chance that you have got the job would assume now that you havent. Especially seeing as they didnt reply to the text. If they had replied with an explanation as to why you havent heard back yet then it would be different but they havent.
I wouldnt wait around for them any longer. Id look around for other jobs now. There are plenty of jobs out there.
Original post by Emma:-)
Unfortunately, not all jobs bother to let you know if you havent got the job (even if they say they will). Obviously it doesnt take much to send a quick text/email just to say you havent got the job.
You have been proactive and tried to chase it up.
There may be a slim chance that you have got the job would assume now that you havent. Especially seeing as they didnt reply to the text. If they had replied with an explanation as to why you havent heard back yet then it would be different but they havent.
I wouldnt wait around for them any longer. Id look around for other jobs now. There are plenty of jobs out there.

Yeah I’ve been applying for a few different jobs over the past couple days cause i started losing hope lol. Hopefully something works out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending