The Student Room Group

characteristics of intelligent people

Hello,

I am researching some characteristics of intelligent people for a uni project. and wanted some thoughts.

- Intelligent people are more likely to be slim or athletic body type rather than fat.

-intelligent people will have calm demeanour

- Intelligent people less likely to drive a car, more likely to walk, cycle or take public transport.

-Intelligent people more likely to be well rounded e.g. not just book smart with good grades, they are street smart aswell.

-Intelligent people more likely to be apolitical

I want to make it clear that by intelligent, I don't mean ppl with top grades; intelligence comes in many shapes and forms.

Thanks for help
Original post by Amiit10
Hello,

I am researching some characteristics of intelligent people for a uni project. and wanted some thoughts.

- Intelligent people are more likely to be slim or athletic body type rather than fat.

- Intelligent people less likely to drive a car, more likely to walk, cycle or take public transport.

-Intelligent people more likely to be well rounded e.g. not just book smart with good grades, they are street smart aswell.

I want to make it clear that by intelligent, I don't mean ppl with top grades; intelligence comes in many shapes and forms.

Thanks for help

I mean you’ve said intelligence can basically be anything, you’ve framed it so unspecific and broad you can pick whatever traits you like.
Original post by Amiit10
Hello,

Thanks for help

Why would intelligent people be more likely to use public transport? Most people do not use public transport out of choice. As Margaret Thatcher once said (rightly or wrongly), anyone who still uses the bus over the age of 25 has failed in life.

Intelligence is usually asosicated iwth money (because intelligent people can manage their money better and are more likely to have the skills needed for higher paid jobs), implying they would have the money to drive etc

If you're doing this for a uni project, what criteria will you use to define as "intelligence". IQ? IQ is unreliable and emotional IQ can also play a large part.

I would say I am "intelligent", I achieved As and A*s at A-Levels, can rationalise most things, am very good at expressing emotions and other things into words, and can write very quickly and very well at the same time.

I drive. I am very impulsive and often angry. I am athletic or muscular, am somewhat political.

I also dropped out of university, and most of the world's most successful people dropped out of college/university.

I am also Aspergic, which is usually associated with high intelligence.

What do you mean by "street smart"?
Reply 3
Original post by Amiit10
Hello,

Thanks for help

I qualified for MENSA whilst at university, so I'm considered to be intelligent as I have a high IQ. I'm slightly overweight, drive a car, have strong political opinions and definitely don't have a calm demeanour! I'm quite highly strung!!

Highly intelligent people are individuals with different personalities, habits and body types!! All individuals have a degree of intelligence too and there are different types of intelligence - emotional intelligence being another type.
Reply 4
Original post by Ferrograd
Why would intelligent people be more likely to use public transport? Most people do not use public transport out of choice. As Margaret Thatcher once said (rightly or wrongly), anyone who still uses the bus over the age of 25 has failed in life.

Intelligence is usually asosicated iwth money (because intelligent people can manage their money better and are more likely to have the skills needed for higher paid jobs), implying they would have the money to drive etc

If you're doing this for a uni project, what criteria will you use to define as "intelligence". IQ? IQ is unreliable and emotional IQ can also play a large part.

I would say I am "intelligent", I achieved As and A*s at A-Levels, can rationalise most things, am very good at expressing emotions and other things into words, and can write very quickly and very well at the same time.

I drive. I am very impulsive and often angry. I am athletic or muscular, am somewhat political.

I also dropped out of university, and most of the world's most successful people dropped out of college/university.

I am also Aspergic, which is usually associated with high intelligence.

What do you mean by "street smart"?

In terms of how I'm measuring intelligence. It will be a survey conducted sent out across my whole uni and will be a mix of open-ended questions and likert scale. Mostly qualitative data so A level grades and IQ are irrelevant and but things such as emotional responses to major life events are key. As well as understanding the background of each respondent, e.g. what they study, their upbringing, their interests, hobbies etc.

When I say 'street smart', many of my closest friends have got highest grades through their education but wouldn't know how to buy cheap fruit at a market or manage the finances or bills in a household etc.

On your point about thatcher, I will disregard. My neurologist, has been a doctor for over 45 years and he has never held a driving licence and cycles to work everyday. Again, however I'm not trying to saying a rich doctor is intelligent but I'm merely saying he can't exactly be a failure.
I think you have to define what specific intelligence you are studying because the ability to do basically anything can be considered intelligence. The ability to look at a rack of clothes and be able to easily pick out a outfit that looks amazing and unique is a form of intelligence, the ability to look at broken toilet and fix it easily is a form of intelligence, the ability to confidently and persuasively present a speech to a group of people too. I think just "academic" and "street smart" intelligence is too vague imo. Would you think that someone who is studying maths at Cambridge but thinks Paris is a country, intelligent? Hmmm it is a very interesting topic, I wish you the best of luck!
Original post by Amiit10
Hello,

Thanks for help

What is the purpose of the project? That list of assumptions/prejudices could be regarded as hugely insulting. (Unintentionally?)

The appearance and behaviour of people is influenced by many factors.

Is this a troll post?
Reply 7
Original post by SpiderCrab
What is the purpose of the project? That list of assumptions/prejudices could be regarded as hugely insulting. (Unintentionally?)

The appearance and behaviour of people is influenced by many factors.

Is this a troll post?

No its actually for my biomedical sciences masters. Its a 'non-lab/ dry' assignment and I was assigned the topic of human psychology focusing primarily on signs of intelligence
You need to start with the definition of intelligence you have chosen eg someone who holds your own views on not having a car might be one of your criteria or as you say high grades combined with some other things - traditional IQ tests included not just verbal reasoning but ability to do things like puzzles, shapes, spacial ability, tying shoe laces etc etc You say it comes in many shapes and forms. So if one shape is people hold your views that needs to be set out first. If instead you mean you consider ability to be calm intelligence then list that too to work out who is intelligent and who is not and then test the two different groups - the non intelligent and the intelligent and see how the answers compare. A simpler way to do it might be by A level grades compare CCC and AAA people and see how they fare under your questions.

Once you have defined it then you can start assessing the answers people give.

On cars if you live in a country village most people have no choice but to have a car or suburbs where I am; whereas if you never worked a day in your life and are in social housing in inner London or are as rich as king and are very clever and own a mansion near Harrods you will not need a car. If more intelligent people can afford to live in Inner London than rural Northumberland then I suppose there may be a correlation between intelligence and cars.
Original post by Amiit10
No its actually for my biomedical sciences masters. Its a 'non-lab/ dry' assignment and I was assigned the topic of human psychology focusing primarily on signs of intelligence

How is intelligence generally characterised within life sciences community?
Which particular characteristics are you intending to analyse and why did you select these characteristics, given this is qualitative do you have a method to understand how sensitive is the data?
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
How is intelligence generally characterised within life sciences community?
Which particular characteristics are you intending to analyse and why did you select these characteristics, given this is qualitative do you have a method to understand how sensitive is the data?

This is exactly what I am currently researching right now... I'm basically trying to establish criteria to distinguish intelligence. However my project supervisors and lecturers want me to stay away from the conventional things such as known conventional testing like IQ tests and A level results because of course so many successful and intelligent people don't even go to uni or get good A level results because personal circumstances of each respondent will also be considered in my study.

This is why I am sticking to things like personal circumstances, interests, hobbies which everyone can relate to
Original post by Amiit10
This is exactly what I am currently researching right now... I'm basically trying to establish criteria to distinguish intelligence. However my project supervisors and lecturers want me to stay away from the conventional things such as known conventional testing like IQ tests and A level results because of course so many successful and intelligent people don't even go to uni or get good A level results because personal circumstances of each respondent will also be considered in my study.

This is why I am sticking to things like personal circumstances, interests, hobbies which everyone can relate to

Do you know how sensitive your qualitative characteristics are to quantitative factors, you can’t just disregard them.

In your first post you described what you viewed an intelligent person to be, before you conducted your study...

fwiw the posts about your project doesn’t sound scientifically rigorous, which is important for a scientific dissertation.
Original post by Amiit10

Not gonna lie, but this sounds like a sh*t study made by sh*t people. You can't quantify intelligence. Steven Hawking is not athletic nor is he fit. Some people may not have a calm demeanour in certain situations for various reasons and they could still be intelligent and I am not sure how not having a car means that the person is more intelligent.

Not all intelligent people are well rounded and that's the point. You can be intelligent in specific areas, so for example, someone who is a superstar basketball player may not be able to do programming or maths. This person is very intelligent in one area but not in another. Also, not sure about how being apolitical affects your intelligence or cognitive abilities. There is no one way to determine if the person is intelligent or not, so to me it sounds like the project is a bit of a waste of time. I guess you can try and investigate these things, but I am not sure if you would actually find a clear correlation between these things because it doesn't really make sense.
(edited 1 year ago)
To be honest, for me, this list of characteristics you think intelligent people possess describes an ‘ideal decent successful human being’ that everyone wants to become rather than a list of characteristics that intelligent people share.

Can you give us an example who you think is intelligent and fits in all the categories? It would be better if you give a name of a famous person that is commonly known.

This list seems rather unrealistic to me, for example, body shape is quite depend on genetics and not every person who wanted to be slim can actually turned out to be - they may still have a health lifestyle (do exercise, balanced diet) but they just not look slim.

This brings me to my next point: some of the words you use are quite ambiguous (e.g. slim, different people perceive slim differently), and I believe you need to make them measurable so that you can compared the results (e.g. answers on questionnaire) with these categories.
For a masters dissertation you can't just pluck a bunch of random things you think out of the air. You need to base it in existing theory and develop a rigorous methodology to test an actual hypothesis (which you don't have I'd note). You should start by reading some of the basic theories in the psychology of individual differences and educational psychology and how they relate to intelligence and the ways that intelligence has been measured before, and the criticisms and issues with those.

From that basic background you would be better placed to at least begin developing some kind of actual hypothesis that you can use (social) scientific methodology to begin testing. Also remember that correlation does not imply causation and even if some of those qualities you described are correlated with conventional measures of intelligence, that does not imply any causal relationship. You also can't simply "redefine" intelligence to whatever you wish and then find data that supports that, and you need to identify and discuss current conventional definitions and metrics of intelligence and if you don't wish to use those, you need to provide a very compelling argument why not and why your replacement metrics are better suited.
Have you run this past your supervisor? You seem quite muddled in what you are trying to achieve.
Original post by Amiit10
Hello,

Thanks for help

Either a troll post (if so then congrats on baiting people lol), or such a flawed set of statements that it's scarcely worth debating

Quick Reply

Latest