Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me today that Edinburgh offers free courses??
    I assuming its only for British and EU Citizens, but is it true though?

And her son is studying there so I wouldn't think she'd be lying

ReputationRep:
    For EU (excluding English) and Scottish students, yes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadflappin)
    Someone told me today that Edinburgh offers free courses??
    I assuming its only for British and EU Citizens, but is it true though?
    Studying an undergrad degree in Scotland`is free for students from the EU and Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was Scottish

ReputationRep:
    yeah haha they want the english to pay full price
    but EU and scots GET IT FREE!
    English discrimination if you ask me..........
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by itszednotzee)
    yeah haha they want the english to pay full price
    but EU and scots GET IT FREE!
    English discrimination if you ask me..........
    Why? After all, Scottish students have to pay if they want to study at English universities.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I was told English students still get a discount

(Original post by hobnob)
    Why? After all, Scottish students have to pay if they want to study at English universities.:dontknow:
    Scottish students having to pay at English universities isn't discrimination as they have to pay the same as English students. English students have to pay where Scottish students don't, at Scottish universities, however, so that is discriminatory.

ReputationRep:
    its like half the normal fee for english students....

ReputationRep:
    Only for EU citizens excluding English. I really think that it takes the **** to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Scottish students having to pay at English universities isn't discrimination as they have to pay the same as English students. English students have to pay where Scottish students don't, at Scottish universities, however, so that is discriminatory.
    Well... no. England could easily pay their student's fees if they wanted to. They don't. If anything, England is discrimintating against English students. You want to talk to your English parliament about this

ReputationRep:
    What would Welsh students pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomLeigh)
    I was told English students still get a discount
    I paid £1735 this year.

ReputationRep:
    They don't get a "discount" - the standard fee in Scotland is just cheaper than in England, because of all this top-up fees nonsense.

And English students having to pay but Scottish students not, is not discrimination. We have seperate governments when it comes to education, so if you're not happy, speak to your MP. Otherwise, suck it up.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, seriously! That is very good news. I thought I would have to empty my pockets if I had any intention of going there

(Original post by SillyFencer)
    Well... no. England could easily pay their student's fees if they wanted to. They don't. If anything, England is discrimintating against English students. You want to talk to your English parliament about this
    And Scotland could not pay Scottish students' fees. The exact source of the blame doesn't stop the practice being discriminatory.

ReputationRep:
    Well I a British National Overseas (BNO) passport for being born in HK under British rule but Britain doesn't really acknowledge us as british. Not saying I am but it'd be nice if i can get discount off uni in the UK and live in the UK. I feel bad for those who only hold a BNO and luckily I have 3 different passports =D
    So it doesnt really matter, I have to pay full fees but i was just wondering

ReputationRep:
    Seems harsh on the English that we have to pay and other EU and Scottish nationals don't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    And Scotland could not pay Scottish students' fees. The exact source of the blame doesn't stop the practice being discriminatory.
    But I think the point is that both the Scottish and the English government are free to choose independently whether to pay their students' fees or not. The Scottish government chose to do so and the English didn't. It was a sovereign choice.

(Original post by hobnob)
    But I think the point is that both the Scottish and the English government are free to choose independently whether to pay their students' fees or not. The Scottish government chose to do so and the English didn't. It was a sovereign choice.
    I don't actually know the answer to this, but if any English tax money goes toward paying Scottish higher education then I'd have to find the practice objectionable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.