Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as someone who considered English unis I agree with the comment on the brain drain (and did actually take it up with my MP as a matter of fact!)
    Though I think the ridiculous concept of paying for higher education ought to be abolished!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadflappin)
    Someone told me today that Edinburgh offers free courses??
    I assuming its only for British and EU Citizens, but is it true though?

And her son is studying there so I wouldn't think she'd be lying
    If you are Scottish, yes. Otherwise no. Although it is cheaper than UK universities for UK students, not for foreign ones though, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care, the Scottish way of doing it is much better anyway. I'm happy to pay.

Also, if Scottish Unis were free for the English, then way more English people would go - The Scots would be crowded and the English would close down. They are free for EU students as it's still a big distance to go and so making them free encourages them to go (which they want) without meaning that everyone would go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Incidentally, SillyFencer, I do happen to have practical knowledge of the UK's political system, and as a result of that, I must inform you that there is no English Parliament to turn to, only a UK Parliament, and as a result of the "West Lothian question" Scottish MPs would be eligible to vote on whether English students would get free tuition at English universities, whereas with education as a devolved issue, English MPs have no vote on whether Scottish students get free tuition at Scottish universities. That's hardly equality, is it?
    Missed this part earlier...

I know there's no English parliament. I was TTP! :p:

The way I understand it, was that England turned down a devolved parlaiment. When you are talking about "MPs" then you are talking about British members of parliament. Whether or not they are from Scotland is irrelevant.

(Original post by SillyFencer)
    Missed this part earlier...

I know there's no English parliament. I was TTP! :p:

The way I understand it, was that England turned down a devolved parlaiment. When you are talking about "MPs" then you are talking about British members of parliament. Whether or not they are from Scotland is irrelevant.
    Referenda were held for regional Parliaments within England, but after a couple of them failed, they scrapped all the other planned ones. They weren't going to be like the Scottish Parliament, even if they did get through, but more like the Greater London Assembly due to their regional nature.

ReputationRep:
    Living in Wales or Scotland (which have somewhat decentralized governments) has it's advantages; for us, it's namely paying less fees if we stay put in our own country rather than going to England, which in turn helps to improve the standards of Welsh and Scottish Universities.

ReputationRep:
    Referenda were held for regional Parliaments within England, but after a couple of them failed, they scrapped all the other planned ones. They weren't going to be like the Scottish Parliament, even if they did get through, but more like the Greater London Assembly due to their regional nature.
    OK. I didn't completely understand how that worked...

So don't you think you're fighting the wrong fight? Instead of trying to get free education taken away from us, shouldn't you be fighting for a devolved parliament? It seems that if you win the argument, and we had to start paying to go to uni - then you have gained nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itszednotzee)
    yeah haha they want the english to pay full price
    but EU and scots GET IT FREE!
    English discrimination if you ask me..........
    it's not full price, it's heavily subsidised by the gov't and a fair bit cheaper than english fees.

(Original post by zav)
    Only for EU citizens excluding English. I really think that it takes the **** to be honest.
    Agreed, although the English Government could easily do the same for their students. It's just that they don't.

ReputationRep:
    Why? As far as I'm concerned, it's a thoroughly insipid ploy to stop Scotland's 'brain drain' by effectively bribing us to stay here.
    If this is for students I fail to why, especially if there isin't really a divide in university standards aside Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be right, I've never done practical economic research on any country, just theoretical and ideological. I honestly don't know if any English money goes toward Scottish higher education institutions. Does it? If so, it doesn't seem unreasonable to find the practice objectionable, as it does mean that money from English taxpayers would be being spent on something that has no returns for them. If it doesn't, then obviously it wouldn't be a problem.

There's no need for condescension when I made it perfectly clear that I'm ignorant on the subject in question, by the way.

Edit - Thank you, zav. Do you happen to know how money is distributed when it leaves the central treasury?

Incidentally, SillyFencer, I do happen to have practical knowledge of the UK's political system, and as a result of that, I must inform you that there is no English Parliament to turn to, only a UK Parliament, and as a result of the "West Lothian question" Scottish MPs would be eligible to vote on whether English students would get free tuition at English universities, whereas with education as a devolved issue, English MPs have no vote on whether Scottish students get free tuition at Scottish universities. That's hardly equality, is it?
    Well your queen did chop of our queen's head.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    Agreed, although the English Government could easily do the same for their students. It's just that they don't.
    There is no English government though is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Living in Wales or Scotland (which have somewhat decentralized governments) has it's advantages; for us, it's namely paying less fees if we stay put in our own country rather than going to England, which in turn helps to improve the standards of Welsh and Scottish Universities.
    Yes, but in turn it creates a very inward-looking society. Which is all right if you're a Scottish or Welsh nationalist, but for the rest of us we'd rather not be bribed to stay in one place.

(Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    Well, there isn't an English government of course, but even then - I rather feel this would be done in England if they could afford it. Which they cannot, presumably because English education has considerably less spent on it per capita than Scottish education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    OK. I didn't completely understand how that worked...

So don't you think you're fighting the wrong fight? Instead of trying to get free education taken away from us, shouldn't you be fighting for a devolved parliament? It seems that if you win the argument, and we had to start paying to go to uni - then you have gained nothing.
    It seems to me that if money was to be distributed rather more fairly in this country, no where could afford free higher education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think it rather unfairly discriminates against English universities too. As a student resident in Scotland, I would not get the money the Scottish Executive would otherwise have spent on me if I choose to go to an English university. Why? As far as I'm concerned, it's a thoroughly insipid ploy to stop Scotland's 'brain drain' by effectively bribing us to stay here.

Yet another good reason why the ridiculous and thoroughly unaffordable concept of free higher education ought to be abolished here.
    What a ridiculous post.

Out of interest how much are English fees? If they are approximately £3200 then English students aren't saving much less than Scottish students by studying in Scotland.

Scottish fees - Approx £1700 - Studying in Scotland saves £1700
    English fees - Approx £3200? - Studying in Scotland saves £1500?

Before anyone picks holes in my figures, I'm not sure what they are. That's what I'm asking.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    im curious, does the Scottish government use solely Scottish tax payers money for it, or is it British tax payers money?

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with Lib regarding abolishing free higher education in Scotland. As much as the Scottish government spend their fixed pot of money of education rather than something else, Scots could pay like their English counterparts. I don't really see why we need free higher education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    im curious, does the Scottish government use solely Scottish tax payers money for it, or is it British tax payers money?
    Of course it's British tax payers money. But it is divided up into shares and then given out. Scotland pays more in tax than anywhere outside of London. It puts in more than it gets back. Northern Ireland get more than Scotland yet put in less to the pot, and some parts of northern England get far more back than they put in.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Of course it's British tax payers money. But it is divided up into shares and then given out. Scotland pays more in tax than anywhere outside of London. It puts in more than it gets back. Northern Ireland get more than Scotland yet put in less to the pot, and some parts of northern England get far more back than they put in.
    Scotlands population is roughly 5.1 million, Englands is 51 million, so collectively how can it pay more tax than just london?

i dont understand why Scotlands government can decide to do this for its students, but not pay for it its self, im sure if England used Scottish taxes for free student tuition there would be pandemonium

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    Scotlands population is roughly 5.1 million, Englands is 51 million, so collectively how can it pay more tax than just london?

i dont understand why Scotlands government can decide to do this for its students, but not pay for it its self, im sure if England used Scottish taxes for free student tuition there would be pandemonium
    I was meaning relative to population. There was research done in to it but I can't remember who did it. It showed that Scotland put in the most after London, but Northern Ireland got the most out of it compared to what they put in.

All tax goes to the UK Treasury. The money is then divided up. Scotland uses part of its share for free education and so spends less on something else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.