Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanot88)
    What a ridiculous post.
    Fancy explaining why? lol, you can't just say that about someone's post and then back it up with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Of course it's British tax payers money. But it is divided up into shares and then given out. Scotland pays more in tax than anywhere outside of London. It puts in more than it gets back. Northern Ireland get more than Scotland yet put in less to the pot, and some parts of northern England get far more back than they put in.
    Actually, the latest figures would suggest (if you include certain things, most notably the contents of the North Sea...) that actually Scotland is the only constituent part of the UK actually contributing at the moment; GERS shows it to be, if I recall correctly, 0.3 or 0.8 billion in surplus.

But regardless of what the Scot Nats are inclined to suggest, that's no reason for us to see it all back again. Tax money should be apportioned on need, not on the basis of who paid what in. If that was the case, I don't think the Scottish Parliament would be able to afford free tuition.

(Original post by Samual)
    Scotlands population is roughly 5.1 million, Englands is 51 million, so collectively how can it pay more tax than just london?
    Per capita, of course.

i dont understand why Scotlands government can decide to do this for its students, but not pay for it its self, im sure if England used Scottish taxes for free student tuition there would be pandemonium
    Er, there's no such thing as 'Scottish taxes' or 'English taxes', nor is there a political manifestation of England to do anything of the sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Actually, the latest figures would suggest (if you include certain things, most notably the contents of the North Sea...) that actually Scotland is the only constituent part of the UK actually contributing at the moment; GERS shows it to be, if I recall correctly, 0.3 or 0.8 billion in surplus.

But regardless of what the Scot Nats are inclined to suggest, that's no reason for us to see it all back again. Tax money should be apportioned on need, not on the basis of who paid what in. If that was the case, I don't think the Scottish Parliament would be able to afford free tuition.
    Yeah, the study was done a few years ago. I'm not really up-to-date with the latest goings on.

I agree on need. Especially since we are the one country (not a make up four different countries like some want to think) and so all the money should go to the one place and then be given out as needed. I just mentioned that Scotland don't get what they put in back because some people seem to think Scotland puts in hardly anything and gets the most back out. Which isn't really true.

Just out of interest, what's your opinion on the Scottish government being given full (or even just greater) tax powers?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by L i b)
    Er, there's no such thing as 'Scottish taxes' or 'English taxes', nor is there a political manifestation of England to do anything of the sort.
    it wasn't meant in a literal way, would you prefer i say the taxes that Scottish people pay?

i know next to nothing about Scotland and im particularly ignorant on this topic but it seems illogical to me

ReputationRep:
    Lol, Yay for being scottish and getting free university

If everyone from england came up here becuase uni was free for them too then scottish people would miss out on places, so that's a bit pointless :/

I think English Uni should be free too for the english though, having to pay is a bit nuts, but I spose it saves the government money for other things and gets the unis better reserch depts and stuff?

I don't know xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Fancy explaining why? lol, you can't just say that about someone's post and then back it up with nothing.
    You are given the opportunity to get your university fees paid for you at a Scottish university but because you don't get them paid for you at an English university you shouldn't get them paid for you at a Scottish university.

There are more than enough people who would prefer to stay in Scotland so I think that's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    There are more than enough people who would prefer to stay in Scotland so I think that's ridiculous.
    For the most part Scots have no other choice but to stay in Scotland. To even stand a chance of getting into an English uni need to do at least two Advanced Highers with an additional Higher or Advanced Higher. Not every school can offer you the AHs in what you want/need. My school only offered them if there were more than seven people wanting to do it, which at a below-average state school like mine was a struggle. Only maths, chemistry and biology ran. Too bad if you want to do an arts subject at university.

ReputationRep:
    I can go to any uni, anywhere in the world and tuiton fees will be free for me :P
    Gotta love the Manx Goverment. :P

ReputationRep:
    I love the fact that every single time this discussion comes up, people are shocked about the fact that the education system is different in Scotland. I also love the fact people get on their high horses about the English and Scottish differences, without any care for the fact they're missing out 50% of the UK and its also the Welsh and Northern Irish students who pay to be educated in Scotland.

The irony is, when you contact your local MPs they don't even have any idea this is happening. I've written to my local Labour MP in England several times over the last couple of years relating to tuition fees, and she apparently had no idea that students in Scotland were recieving their education for free, as were the rest of the EU! It feels a bit ridiculous if it is up to students to actually educate the people who make decisions on their behalf about the laws which are affecting our lives. Maybe if more people wrote to their MPs rather than complaining the situation would change, as I highly doubt my MP is the only one in the country who has no idea about the different fees around the UK.

The fees are cerca £1800 a year, for four years. Or cerca £2800 if you are studying medicine, over five or six years. Thus when you take into account the added expense of an extra year of living in the cities where we are students, we easily make up the £3000 we are 'saving' by being in Scotland so thus end up paying more for our university education in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    But I think the point is that both the Scottish and the English government are free to choose independently whether to pay their students' fees or not. The Scottish government chose to do so and the English didn't. It was a sovereign choice.
    I think it still doesn't explain why EU students should get it for free when English ones don't. If it was just Scottish students I could understand it, but allowing everyone in the EU but England? That is a bit crap to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    I think it still doesn't explain why EU students should get it for free when English ones don't. If it was just Scottish students I could understand it, but allowing everyone in the EU but England? That is a bit crap to be honest.
    Because we can go over there to study for nothing, because we want to attract them over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    For the most part Scots have no other choice but to stay in Scotland. To even stand a chance of getting into an English uni need to do at least two Advanced Highers with an additional Higher or Advanced Higher. Not every school can offer you the AHs in what you want/need. My school only offered them if there were more than seven people wanting to do it, which at a below-average state school like mine was a struggle. Only maths, chemistry and biology ran. Too bad if you want to do an arts subject at university.
    I don't agree with the bit in bold. Not sure where you are getting that idea from. As for the other bit, it was even worse at my school. We only had adv higher music although I went to another school to do maths and a couple of others did geography and chemistry at other schools.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the bit in bold. Not sure where you are getting that idea from. As for the other bit, it was even worse at my school. We only had adv higher music although I went to another school to do maths and a couple of others did geography and chemistry at other schools.
    Just for geography and picking universities where I would be mildly interested in going:

Durham: 5 Scottish Highers with 2 at Advanced level
    Loughborough: SQA: Minimum grades A, B from Advanced Highers, plus majority of B grades in Highers.
    Sheffield: Scottish Advanced Highers - ABB
    Liverpool: Scottish Higher/Advanced Higher: AABBB/ABB
    Bristol: SH: AAAAB or better (even though there's no mention of AHs, they'd really want you to have them)

There's also that going from Scottish education to university south of the border is a much bigger leap.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say, I'm v annoyed that my parents insisted on moving from Scotland to England. If they hadn't, I wouldn't have to pay topup fees. (Well I would because I'm at Sheffield, but if I had gone to Aberdeen instead I wouldn't have had to!)

ReputationRep:
    this is blatant racism against english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    this is blatant racism against english.
    :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.