The Student Room Group

HELP! ALEVEL CHOICES, I can't decide between biology and religious studies

I confirmed with my school on results day that I wanted to do RS, geography and economics. But I've been overthinking and thinking about changing RS to biology.
my results:
combined science: 98
maths: 6
geography: 9
eng lit:9
eng lang:8
RS: 6
etc...

I feel that RS is interesting but it does not align with what I want to do at university as I don't see myself doing a philosophy or religious degree at uni and would be pointless to do at alevel but I'm worried if I choose biology I would struggle and not achieve as high grades as I would want and everyone being able to understand it more than me. And i feel like RS would be easier but I do not know.

Do i play it safe and stick with RS or go with biology which would be challenging but it would open a lot more courses at university. I am interested in doing environmental science or geography or something but I change my mind so often so it's difficult to decide.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Im curious as to how u weren’t in triple science, those results tell me ur ******* smart
Reply 2
Hi!! I'm so glad someone found this thread. aaaa thank you, I know my grades look smart but i doubt myself and my abilities to do this at alevels. especially in biology
do you have any suggestions?
Reply 3
Original post by jojo257_
I confirmed with my school on results day that I wanted to do RS, geography and economics. But I've been overthinking and thinking about changing RS to biology.
my results:
etc...

I feel that RS is interesting but it does not align with what I want to do at university as I don't see myself doing a philosophy or religious degree at uni and would be pointless to do at alevel but I'm worried if I choose biology I would struggle and not achieve as high grades as I would want and everyone being able to understand it more than me. And i feel like RS would be easier but I do not know.

Do i play it safe and stick with RS or go with biology which would be challenging but it would open a lot more courses at university. I am interested in doing environmental science or geography or something but I change my mind so often so it's difficult to decide.
Thanks

you will be better off doing biology as it can open a LOT of routes, eg medicine, dentistry, allied health work, science based careers etc. and whilst bio may be hard, if u put in the effort you will get through. plus u always have your teachers to help out (:

if you want you could choose RS, bio and geography since economics doesnt open up much, but choose what you will enjoy
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by t0es
you will be better off doing biology as it can open a LOT of routes, eg medicine, dentistry, allied health work, science based careers etc. and whilst bio may be hard, if u put in the effort you will get through. plus u always have your teachers to help out (:

if you want you could choose RS, bio and geography since economics doesnt open up much, but choose what you will enjoy

Thank you for the advice! True I could take RS, bio and geography.. I think those are a nice combination and it would be a nice balance. I'm not to sure why I was set on economics idk. Do you take alevel biology? How is it managable?

Rs, geography and biology were originally my first choices that I made when i first started year 11 :tongue:
(edited 1 year ago)
Well i got a 6 in bio and 7s in chem and physics but im doing bio for a levels because i dont like all the equation stuff. Unless u want to be a mechanic or a physicist then physics wont help u much. Chemistry can help u with biochemistry which can take you down the medical or drug route. Biology gets you into nursing, neurology and jobs with animals too.
Its up to you to do bio or religious studies but i dont know many jobs that religious studies tie to other than religious historian or sum ****
Reply 7
oh cool! What exam board is your biology and what subjects u taking along with it? Mine is OCR A..
Original post by IDKwhatUsername9
Well i got a 6 in bio and 7s in chem and physics but im doing bio for a levels because i dont like all the equation stuff. Unless u want to be a mechanic or a physicist then physics wont help u much. Chemistry can help u with biochemistry which can take you down the medical or drug route. Biology gets you into nursing, neurology and jobs with animals too.

Yeah I am interested in bio but not the medicine side
(edited 1 year ago)
Definitely do biology, it opens more doors than RS and if RS doesn’t relate to what you want to do then it will be useless. It isn’t hard in terms of the content, it’s just a lot of content. Compared to chemistry (a lot of people do bio and Chem) the theory is a lot easier.
Reply 9
Yeah, I think I am leaning towards doing bio, geog and rs now, seeing as I couldn't choose between them. I think economics would be even less suited to what i wanna do than rs

Original post by KirstinTMH
Definitely do biology, it opens more doors than RS and if RS doesn’t relate to what you want to do then it will be useless. It isn’t hard in terms of the content, it’s just a lot of content. Compared to chemistry (a lot of people do bio and Chem) the theory is a lot easier.
oh cool! What exam board is you biology? Mine is OCR A..

Yeah I am interested in bio but not the medicine side

Do you know what you might want to do in the future? I agree that biology opens up a wider range of university options, but the problem is that some courses require 2 sciences/maths. Maybe have a look at the A level subject requirements for some different degrees that you are interested in, and use that to guide you?
Reply 11
Hi, I'm most interested in doing geography or environmental science degrees at university, something along those lines. I've seen environmental science degrees at like southampton or sheffield uni and they don't require biology alevel and accept 1 science alevel which they state geography is accepted. And also at sheffield, they don't have any subject requirements for a geography degree only grade requirements which is good I guess.

So maybe i don't have to suffer through biology. :smile: Although, Would you say biology would be worth taking anyway though?

Original post by booklover1313
Do you know what you might want to do in the future? I agree that biology opens up a wider range of university options, but the problem is that some courses require 2 sciences/maths. Maybe have a look at the A level subject requirements for some different degrees that you are interested in, and use that to guide you?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I'm most interested in doing geography or environmental science degrees at university, something along those lines. I've seen environmental science degrees at like southampton or sheffield uni and they don't require biology alevel and accept 1 science alevel which they state geography is accepted. And also at sheffield, they don't have any subject requirements for a geography degree only grade requirements which is good I guess.

So maybe i don't have to suffer through biology. :smile: Although, Would you say biology would be worth taking anyway though?

Biology includes parts on ecology and climate change, which are interesting and relevant to geography/environmental sciences. I personally would go with biology over RS, but maybe talking to your biology teacher can help? Would you enjoy the subject and content?
Another thing you could do is to see if you can find a pdf of a biology textbook, and have a quick skim through the chapters.
Reply 13
Yeah that's some of the topics I'm interested in. I think the spec for biology is interesting. My friend suggested I take all 4 alevels and see which would be best for me in the first month of alevels? I'm not sure if this is a good idea? it would be rs, geography, bio and economics. She said it'd be really easy to drop one within like the first month.

Original post by booklover1313
Biology includes parts on ecology and climate change, which are interesting and relevant to geography/environmental sciences. I personally would go with biology over RS, but maybe talking to your biology teacher can help? Would you enjoy the subject and content?
Another thing you could do is to see if you can find a pdf of a biology textbook, and have a quick skim through the chapters.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Thank you for the advice! True I could take RS, bio and geography.. I think those are a nice combination and it would be a nice balance. I'm not to sure why I was set on economics idk. Do you take alevel biology? How is it managable?

Rs, geography and biology were originally my first choices that I made when i first started year 11 :tongue:

sadly i do not take biology, but i definitely wished i did because it would open up all the healthcare courses and some environmental courses that i want to do at uni. i have 3 friends who chose it, though, and they said that they enjoy it a lot. at the beginning they found it difficult, as in their whole class was getting like Ds but then they found it more manageable with teacher support and my friends have As and A*s now (:

i do economics, its interesting and easier to understand, but it does not open up any courses (even an economics degree requires maths, not econ)

in the end as long as you like your subjects you will be fine---eg if u are passionate about bio then you will be more motivated to study etc. good luck with choosing! update us :biggrin:

ALSO u can ask this question to a teacher to see what they suggest!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Ah okay! thank you sm! :smile: I am thinking of doing bio, geog and rs maybe. Economics seem really interesting to me as it would be knowledgable in general life but the diagrams I've seen scare me and look complex although I wouldn't pursue it further than alevel as degrees want math. But it would link with some of geography yeah? :tongue: What subjects do u take along with it!

Will do :biggrin: thannk u sm I am grateful for your advice and everybody ❤️
Gonna be difficult 2 years but I am determined!!! Good luck to you too for your alevels

Edit: I finally sent a email to one of the sixth form office people and hopefully they get back to me before I start on the 2nd of september AAAA. I chose biology, geography and rs! :::smile:
Original post by t0es
sadly i do not take biology, but i definitely wished i did because it would open up all the healthcare courses and some environmental courses that i want to do at uni. i have 3 friends who chose it, though, and they said that they enjoy it a lot. at the beginning they found it difficult, as in their whole class was getting like Ds but then they found it more manageable with teacher support and my friends have As and A*s now (:

i do economics, its interesting and easier to understand, but it does not open up any courses (even an economics degree requires maths, not econ)

in the end as long as you like your subjects you will be fine---eg if u are passionate about bio then you will be more motivated to study etc. good luck with choosing! update us :biggrin:

ALSO u can ask this question to a teacher to see what they suggest!
(edited 1 year ago)
my results:
etc...

Thanks

Heya!
I did bio,chem,maths and econ. What do you want to do at uni? Econ for me was much easier than biology for me but that was mainly because my teacher made econ fun and interesting to learn for us. Econ is heavily essay based while bio isn't as much. I've never really seen RS being an entry requirement for any courses (there are probably some but I haven't encountered them) and with biology, you would have more options open. Are you planning on doing something with psychology or finance? I would recommend just looking over entry requirements at unis for courses you want to do and sticking to a-levels you would enjoy.

The reason why biology can be tough is that there is a lot of material you need to understand rather than just memorise, however, from what I have seen, there are tons of free resources to help you with biology so don't worry! Study Mind offers tons of free revision notes + free question banks for bio :smile: There are tons of youtube resources as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 17
Ah okay! thank you sm! :smile: I am thinking of doing bio, geog and rs maybe. Economics seem really interesting to me as it would be knowledgable in general life but the diagrams I've seen scare me and look complex although I wouldn't pursue it further than alevel as degrees want math. But it would link with some of geography yeah? :tongue: What subjects do u take along with it!

Will do :biggrin: thannk u sm I am grateful for your advice and everybody ❤️
Gonna be difficult 2 years but I am determined!!! Good luck to you too for your alevels

oh dont worry the diagrams are actually simple. i hate graphs and everything to do with graphs so i thought i would never get them, but they are much easier to understand than u think!
you can even draw them in your 20 and 25 mark essays in the exams to get extra points (for edexcel at least) + and it defo links to human geography :smile:

i take maths and psychology as well
Reply 18
I am interested in environmental science or geography degrees. Nope I'm not interested in psychology however finance doesn't seem to bad.
Thank you for the advice!!❤️ I emailed my sixth form office and I am taking all 4 alevels until I am decided fully and will drop one! Thank you sm for the resources,, will check them out :smile:. I am very interested in biology but from what everyone has said about it scares me!

I have a question surrounding the practicals in biology. Do they expect you to do them individually and are they difficult..? I know that you get like a book to help you I think. And is the maths in biology difficult? I got a grade 6 in math.
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I did bio,chem,maths and econ. What do you want to do at uni? Econ for me was much easier than biology for me but that was mainly because my teacher made econ fun and interesting to learn for us. Econ is heavily essay based while bio isn't as much. I've never really seen RS being an entry requirement for any courses (there are probably some but I haven't encountered them) and with biology, you would have more options open. Are you planning on doing something with psychology or finance? I would recommend just looking over entry requirements at unis for courses you want to do and sticking to a-levels you would enjoy.

The reason why biology can be tough is that there is a lot of material you need to understand rather than just memorise, however, from what I have seen, there are tons of free resources to help you with biology so don't worry! Study Mind offers tons of free revision notes + free question banks for bio :smile: There are tons of youtube resources as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
Ah okay! I am taking all 4 until I fully decide and drop one :smile:
Ooh nicee!
Original post by t0es
oh dont worry the diagrams are actually simple. i hate graphs and everything to do with graphs so i thought i would never get them, but they are much easier to understand than u think!
you can even draw them in your 20 and 25 mark essays in the exams to get extra points (for edexcel at least) + and it defo links to human geography :smile:

i take maths and psychology as well

Quick Reply

Latest