The Student Room Group

Any advice for year 12 students

Hi,
I’m a year 11 going into year 12.

Is any advice you would give to new year 12 students or your younger self ?
Hey! One thing I always say I wish I did (currently going into yr 13 now) is stay organised. A-levels, at my college anyway, have been super fast paced and I was not prepared at all for the work load. Those little things like revision schedules, colour-coding subjects, flashcards and revision materials all are so important to do! And don't think, oh I learned this today I'll make my flashcards another day I'm tired, because there is a good chance you won't have the time another day because you'll be doing something else. Honestly, just stay on top of things all the time because it's so easy to get lost and then you're left behind. But don't worry , you will have a great time! If you need to ask anything, I will try and answer best I can :smile:
Original post by hs1233
Hi,

You need to put much more effort and time in your studies if you want to have good chances of getting good grades. It's simple advise which is often ignored.
Original post by hs1233
Hi,

Hi @hs1233

From my experience, the two years of sixth form/ college absolutely fly by! For some people they are some of the most enjoyable years of their lives and for others they are the most stressful, but either way they will be busy. Whether you're planning on applying for unis, apprenticeships or jobs next year, it can get quite full-on continuing your studies while attending open days and interviews, so the more organised you are in year 12 the easier your life will be in year 13!

If you are doing content heavy subjects, it's a good idea to make revision resources as you go along. This can be as simple as making a flashcard for each new equation in maths as you learn it so you're not scrambling to write them all out when it comes to exams. Something I wish I'd done at college is actually use these resources throughout the year to test myself rather than leaving it until a couple of weeks before mocks. Frequently revisiting content is proven to make knowledge stick more effectively!

For any coursework subjects, my biggest piece of advice would be to document everything you do. For a subject like art this might involve photographing stages of a painting and keeping swatches and 'failed' pieces. For an essay based subject this means keeping a table of all sources you have looked at with quotes, notes and references. Getting into these habits are particular useful if you decide to do an EPQ and if you go on to university!

Aside from academics, I just want to stress the importance of looking out for yourself throughout years 12 and 13. You should never have to compromise your physical or mental wellbeing for academics. I personally found maintaining my existing hobbies and taking on a small part time job really helped me retain a social life and stop school from taking over my entire life. Year 12 is the opportunity to find what works for you so try to enjoy your time and not put too much pressure on yourself:smile:

Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Original post by hs1233
Hi,

don't compare yourself- it's common do get low grades at the start of year 12.
Revise from the start and try not to slack off halfway through the year like i did :frown:
My main tips would be:
- use folders and try to find a straightforward system for sorting work into them
- make revision resources as soon after the lesson as you can
- use active recall and spaced repetition (regularly assess yourself on the work so more is retained in exam season without the stress of feeling like you don’t know anything)
- don’t work for crazy long hours or you’ll burn out (talking from experience of being a workaholic in sixth form)
- don’t compare your grades to others/don’t let your performance define your self worth or predict your final result
- get an academic planner to keep organised
- participate a lot in lessons
- to do lists will become your best friend
Most important make the most of it- sixth form flies by and is a great time so enjoy it (I was in year 12 when covid hit so wish I’d appreciated sixth form more and made the most out of the opportunities available in the first half of year 12)
What subjects are you taking?
Hope this helps and I’m happy to answer any other questions you have
Id say the main piece of advice would be to do constant and effective work/revision daily, doesnt have to be ages but atleast get something done and make sure you understand what you were taught in class, if you dont then go over it in your free time or ask the teacher after class to explain or set work

please do not procrastinate, it never ends well
and make sure to have fun and enjoy year 12 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest