• View Poll Results: Any point
    There is a point in going to those Uni's
    52.38%
    There is no point in going to those Uni's
    14.29%
    I don't know
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point at all in going to the London Metropolitan, or the London South Bank University, or any other bottom ranked University?

Would it be worse than just applying for a job with your A levels?

Would a degree from those Universities look absolutely stupid?

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a point; although it might not be as 'clever' a place to study in the eyes of some, there's a lot to be said for committing to studying a course that long, and for doing assignments and all that.

ReputationRep:
    It (just like everything else in education) depends on what you want to do with your life.

If you don't know what your aims are, is it wise to spend £30,000 on something you might never use?

ReputationRep:
    Also, some "lesser" universities are better for degrees in new industries such as the one my boyfriend does at South Bank in Digital Media. Now, saying that, had he had a more conventional route to uni, he may have had more choices open to him, but they let him on, and the course is good with a good internship and employment percentage in industry at the end.

It is another argument altogether whether new industries need degrees or whether we would be better off with apprenticeships and training programs, but in general, new unis have newer facilities, with teachers who themselves have had experience in new industry and these qualities make them better for certain subjects then middling, or top end unis.

If you had the good grades though, and chose to do a traditional subject at one of these unis, I would see employers getting confused though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am going to openly confess that I work at London South Bank University so I do have a bias. However the information I'm posting here is fully verifiable via independent sources.

I just wanted to urge a word of warning around league tables as they can be very misleading. Also there are a huge number of them around and they all look at different things. For example LSBU is ranked 6th in the UK for graduate starting salaries, and is mid table in the Green League.

The other tables are mostly produced by the media and tend to focus on data compiled about only full time, undergraduate students on mainstream courses. This means that any data relating to part time students, nursing and healthcase students and students who already have a qualification at the same level is completely discounted. In total the stats in the key league tables relate to less than 30% of LSBU's students and so they do not reflect our student experience as a whole.

The same will be true for other universities who place a high level of importance on widening participation.

I understand that the Government itself is starting to recognise that the current media driven league tables are problematic and is considering other ways of giving students more helpful information.

I do appreciate students are desperately trying to find out all they can about potential univeristy choices and league tables will inevitably play a part in this. I would just offer a word of caution and suggest looking a wider range of data wherever possible.

Best wishes,
    Beth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idi Amin)
    Is there any point at all in going to the London Metropolitan, or the London South Bank University, or any other bottom ranked University?

Would it be worse than just applying for a job with your A levels?

Would a degree from those Universities look absolutely stupid?
    In order:

Yes

That depends what you want to do; there's no NEED to go to university, but it depends what you want to do.

No

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.