This discussion is closed.
Carelesswhispers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Heya,

Posting this for a friend really. She's got 4As at AS (lowest score = 293 and got 100% in two subjects), is predcited 3As at A2 (plus another A at AS since she's doing another one). Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE. Has done various drama things, works in a library, on school newspaper and set up book group yet got rejected without interview from UCL! (plus she had a wicked personal statement)

Has anyone else had this experience of rejection with v impressive grades?
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _mad_moo_)
Heya,

Posting this for a friend really. She's got 4As at AS (lowest score = 293 and got 100% in two subjects), is predcited 3As at A2 (plus another A at AS since she's doing another one). Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE. Has done various drama things, works in a library, on school newspaper and set up book group yet got rejected without interview from UCL! (plus she had a wicked personal statement)

That's really unlucky. UCL are really oversubscribed though! Where does she have offers from? Luckily I havent experienced a rejection yet, but I'm expecting one from Exeter!
The Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah i have Oxford rejected me.. u know u wanna laugh
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

The same thing happened to me last year, though my grades aren't as impressive as hers. Now that I'm actually doing my degree and getting well-earned firsts in my essays, I know that UCL are the ones that missed out. So **** 'em
watkinc
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
What type of school does she go to?
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And p.s. Sam: Check out this thread on xnet http://www.xnet.ex.ac.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7801

You won't be rejected! They seem to leave it rather late.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
And p.s. Sam: Check out this thread on xnet http://www.xnet.ex.ac.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7801

You won't be rejected! They seem to leave it rather late.
Thanks. I'm just impatient! When did you hear from them? I know people have offers for the normal English course, but I don't know anyone with an offer for the Eng with NA study course.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

Yup The following is not me blowing my own trumpet, just relating to your friend's experience.

Oxford rejected me without an interview despite having 4As including 100% in English, top five mark for self-taught GCSE English taken a year early (plus another 3A*, 2A and 2B, for which I taught myself), unusual background (educated at home), very strong reference and personal statement, written work of a standard which my Cambridge-educated English teacher says is better than he could do and hasn't seen since the student of his who ended up teaching English at Mansfield College Oxford, plus the usual extra curricular activities including literary stuff like a poetry group at the Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution.

And I didn't even get an interview, don't know what went wrong *gutted* I guess English is a very competitive subject, so at the end of the day lots of people will be rejected who ought to have got a place. I know exactly how your friend must feel! Was UCL her first choice?
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Thanks. I'm just impatient! When did you hear from them? I know people have offers for the normal English course, but I don't know anyone with an offer for the Eng with NA study course.
I got my offer in November but having spoken to both people on the straight English course and the NA course, I can assure you that I'm a freak case
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got my offer in November but having spoken to both people on the straight English course and the NA course, I can assure you that I'm a freak case
I wish they'd hurry up! Are you enjoying the course and the uni at the moment? Feel free to tell me lots! Excited about next year? Where are you going?
confused?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

thats so unlucky and stupid. why wont they accept her. Whats the point of getting those grades with extra achievements just to get denied from uni.
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I wish they'd hurry up! Are you enjoying the course and the uni at the moment? Feel free to tell me lots! Excited about next year? Where are you going?
Yep, the course is fantastic! We have two weeks free now, as we just had our exam on Monday The exam went pretty well generally: one question to answer in 2 hours (obviously a detailed answer was expected), of which I did the one on the effect of Liberal humanism, Barthes and Semiology on culture - you'll find out what this means at some point! This year, we have compulsory modules that kind of lay down the basics and introduce you to the subject:

Past and Present: More enjoyable module, as its more about the literature. So far, we've studied The Odyssey, Beowulf, Robinson Crusoe, The Bible, Richard III, The Tempest, Sir Gawain and Aphra Behn's Oroonoko amongst others. This term, there's more modern stuff from the Victorian era, so yay!

Culture and Criticism: This is more difficult, helps if you've studied Sociology, history or politics beforehand. Lots of theory here: marxism, feminism, historicism, liberal humanism, film theory, semiology, structuralism....

We have some of the best professors. I had a PhD student for P&P and she was really eccentric, just great. She used to swear a lot too, which makes a dramatic change from school! For this semester, I have a great guy who taught at Pembroke College, Oxford before coming here.

I should be applying soon for my year in America. I'm going here:
www.wm.edu

The uni is cool too. Now that I'm in my second term, I'm used to the campus and everything, but I don't like where I live at the moment so I'm hoping to move. My advice: go self catering!
dazednconfused
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

I really feel for your friend, but English seems to be an aggressively competitive subject. I knew a girl at my college who had 4 As at AS (went on to get 4 As at A-level), straight A*/As at GCSE and more extra-curricular stuff than I knew existed, and she got 6/6 rejections for English last year! It's a real shame because she's given up on it and applied for a different subject. A close friend of mine had a record a bit like Eeyore's. She got top 5 marks in self-taught English Language and English Literature GCSEs, then 5 A grades at AS (also self-taught) with 100% in English and 6 or 7 other subject papers. She had loads of work experience and extra-curricular activities too, but most of all she was probably the most passionate person about her subject that I've ever met. She got rejected from Manchester outright. Seems utterly random to me - but she's now very happy (and very very successful) elsewhere, so :aetsch: to them and I hope your friend finds the same happiness and success. I think it's literally the sheer number of AAAA+ grade students applying for English - it's phenomenal. Where else has she applied?
mxox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This thread is really making me freak out. What possible chance do I have with my meagre AABb :eek: :eek:
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

It's fair to say that grades are far from the be-all, end-all; now, more so than ever. However, to be denied even the opportunity of an interview, seems utterly preposterous. It truly is a lottery.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep, the course is fantastic! We have two weeks free now, as we just had our exam on Monday The exam went pretty well generally: one question to answer in 2 hours (obviously a detailed answer was expected), of which I did the one on the effect of Liberal humanism, Barthes and Semiology on culture - you'll find out what this means at some point! This year, we have compulsory modules that kind of lay down the basics and introduce you to the subject:

Past and Present: More enjoyable module, as its more about the literature. So far, we've studied The Odyssey, Beowulf, Robinson Crusoe, The Bible, Richard III, The Tempest, Sir Gawain and Aphra Behn's Oroonoko amongst others. This term, there's more modern stuff from the Victorian era, so yay!

Culture and Criticism: This is more difficult, helps if you've studied Sociology, history or politics beforehand. Lots of theory here: marxism, feminism, historicism, liberal humanism, film theory, semiology, structuralism....

We have some of the best professors. I had a PhD student for P&P and she was really eccentric, just great. She used to swear a lot too, which makes a dramatic change from school! For this semester, I have a great guy who taught at Pembroke College, Oxford before coming here.

I should be applying soon for my year in America. I'm going here:
www.wm.edu

The uni is cool too. Now that I'm in my second term, I'm used to the campus and everything, but I don't like where I live at the moment so I'm hoping to move. My advice: go self catering!
Thanks, that was really helpful From what I read in the prospectus, I wasn't sure how interesting the course would be. Are most the texts good? I havent studied that much 'old' literature before so I'm a bit concerned about not liking it. I'm also worried that I might be at a disadvantage wherever I go, because I'm doing combined English A Level and so we don't do that much literature compared to people taking eng lit.

How many lectures do you have a week? And how much reading is expected? About one text per week was what I heard?

When I went on the open day, I looked at St Germans, which is self catered. It looked SOOOO nice! That's where I would want to go!
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dazednconfused)
She got rejected from Manchester outright.
I don't think I stand much of a chance then!
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

Did she apply to Oxbridge? When I applied to Cambridge my next choice of university was Imperial and they rejected me without an interview. I later found out the reason why they rejected me was because I had applied to Cambridge and that they felt it wasn't worth offering me a place as I would choose Cambridge over Imperial if they accepted me.
Enola
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heya,

Thats awful and makes me sure my UCL rejection is on its way, seeing as my results whilst good are not quite as high. A friend of mine told me about her friend who had the same sort of grades and such like as your friend and UCL rejected him also, apparently his school are outraged and plan to complain. Although i spoke to one of the admissions tutors for English from UCL and because they have so many top grade students applying they look a lot at subject choice and personnal statement, or so she said. There are certain things they like you to write ... etc.
dazednconfused
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I don't think I stand much of a chance then!
I wouldn't be so sure actually - at the same time as all of this happening, another friend got offers to study English at Oxford, UCL and one other place that I can't remember - and she had AABc at A-level. I really don't think it's just about grades anymore.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (95)
24.55%
No (292)
75.45%

Watched Threads