Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enola)
    Although i spoke to one of the admissions tutors for English from UCL and because they have so many top grade students applying they look a lot at subject choice and personnal statement, or so she said. There are certain things they like you to write ... etc.
    Subject choice as in A level subject choice? And would they give you an offer on the basis of a personal statement or reference over those with better grades? I'm scared :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Thanks, that was really helpful From what I read in the prospectus, I wasn't sure how interesting the course would be. Are most the texts good? I havent studied that much 'old' literature before so I'm a bit concerned about not liking it. I'm also worried that I might be at a disadvantage wherever I go, because I'm doing combined English A Level and so we don't do that much literature compared to people taking eng lit.

How many lectures do you have a week? And how much reading is expected? About one text per week was what I heard?

When I went on the open day, I looked at St Germans, which is self catered. It looked SOOOO nice! That's where I would want to go!
    The first term's texts are a bit dull because they're the older stuff, but you find yourself enjoying some of them (like The Odyssey). We have one book a week for P&P and possibly another book/article/extract for C&C, which can be rather challenging to get all done at times! We have a lecture for each module per week, two seminars, two study group meetings (where we meet up to discuss that week's text and answer some questions that we post on WebCT - the subject discussion forum on the internet) and a film screening depending on the week.

Don't worry about the combined subject thing - I had the same and found everything fine, even advantageous as you have some linguistic insights that the straight A level lit people don't have.

As for St Germans, its pretty hard to get a place there. A lot of people who apply there end up in Lafrowda But Lafrowda is full of great people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    The first term's texts are a bit dull because they're the older stuff, but you find yourself enjoying some of them (like The Odyssey). We have one book a week for P&P and possibly another book/article/extract for C&C, which can be rather challenging to get all done at times! We have a lecture for each module per week, two seminars, two study group meetings (where we meet up to discuss that week's text and answer some questions that we post on WebCT - the subject discussion forum on the internet) and a film screening depending on the week.

Don't worry about the combined subject thing - I had the same and found everything fine, even advantageous as you have some linguistic insights that the straight A level lit people don't have.

As for St Germans, its pretty hard to get a place there. A lot of people who apply there end up in Lafrowda But Lafrowda is full of great people.
    Sounds like a lot of work!

Yeah, I heard that it's hard to get into St Germans. I looked at Lafrowda on the open day too and wasn't that impressed! But as long as I'm with nice people, I suppose I can cope with less than brilliant accomadation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    Subject choice as in A level subject choice? And would they give you an offer on the basis of a personal statement or reference over those with better grades? I'm scared :eek:
    Yep, as in A level choice. They like subjects such as History and Languages (neither of which i am studying ) and from what the tutor said, i gather that whilst grades are important, personal statements hold a lot of sway. But i may be completly wrong, this is just based on what one tutor said and my interpretation of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    This thread is really making me freak out. What possible chance do I have with my meagre AABb :eek: :eek:
    My AS Grades were abbbu. Great huh? I got in at all six; Cambridge, Leeds, Liverpool, York, Durham and Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _mad_moo_)
    Heya,

Posting this for a friend really. She's got 4As at AS (lowest score = 293 and got 100% in two subjects), is predcited 3As at A2 (plus another A at AS since she's doing another one). Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE. Has done various drama things, works in a library, on school newspaper and set up book group yet got rejected without interview from UCL! (plus she had a wicked personal statement)

Has anyone else had this experience of rejection with v impressive grades?
    Go over to the law forum, and you'll realise there are many of us who have been rejected without interview for UCL law! I got GCSEs including 7A* and 3A, AS levels of AAAAA and predictions of AAAAA.

It really is a common occurance - mobb_theprequel too was rejected without interview from UCL with 8A*, 4A at GCSE and AAAAA at AS and predictions of the same.

That rejection really hurt me because it was my 2nd choice - I got rejected from Cambridge too (but after an interview at least). Trust me, English is an absolute cakewalk compared to trying to get in to law.

ReputationRep:
    Posting this for a friend really. She's got 4As at AS (lowest score = 293 and got 100% in two subjects), is predcited 3As at A2 (plus another A at AS since she's doing another one). Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE. Has done various drama things, works in a library, on school newspaper and set up book group yet got rejected without interview from UCL! (plus she had a wicked personal statement)

Has anyone else had this experience of rejection with v impressive grades?
    We both go to a state school and she also got rejected from oxford so ucl was her 1st choice - she's now thinking of reapplying to uni next yr for something else

ReputationRep:
    Smn I know: 12 A*s, 5 As, wowser PS, rejected from all five unis for Law. Dunno what she got on LNAT tho.

Edit: Only rejected from 2 unis. Misinformation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    My AS Grades were abbbu. Great huh? I got in at all six; Cambridge, Leeds, Liverpool, York, Durham and Edinburgh.
    :eek: wow!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, you are not your grades. I repeat. You are not your grades.

ReputationRep:
    You know what, one of my friends (who's italian) got predicted perfect 45 points in the IB and she was rejected by Cambridge. She sat for IGCSEs and received like 8A*s and 3As. She went for the interview - and all of us was pretty damn sure she was going to get a conditional offer to read English at Cambridge. She was flat out rejected because she interpreted the unseen poem titled something like "the fish" in a different way. You need to actually know the background of the poet to be able to answer what the interviewer asked. - I think the question they asked was "what did they mean by the word 'hard' in the poem". She answered and defended her points, but it seems like to Cambridge there's only ONE answer the accept Poor her... So, with that said, sometimes rejections can be quite unjustifiable.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so they said to her, you didn't get in because you answered this one question incorrectly? What a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: the competition for places at quite a few top universities (not just oxbridge) really is immense, especially for a subject like english. also; ib points, gcse grades and interview performance definately help candidates but there will often be other attributes looked at too.. i.e. extra-curricular activies and the rest. and i'm sure it's possible that however strong an applicant people think their friend might be, there can always be someone better.

ReputationRep:
    It probably wasn't just that question she interpreted 'wrong', but she has really really high-level analytical skills

ReputationRep:
    And so do the majority of Oxbridge English applicants. It's because there are so many who are that good and better.

ReputationRep:
    The more of these threads I read, I start to wonder about the point of speculating on chances of getting in places based on other people's experiences because they truly vary so incredibly that it almost seems not worth worrying. Of course, you have to be a combination of realistic and ambitious when choosing your six but, where these stories used to scare me, it just makes me think it's almost like a lucky dip, so many factors affect it- the interviewer, the personal statement, the subjects taken for A Level and loads more that I think I'm going to stop worrying about threads like these- I'm not saying I don't sympathise with your friend, of course I do, she obviously deserved to get it but those of us that are getting freaked out should try adn remember that every single person has different things to offer and every single interviewer/admissions board is looking for certain, different things!

Sorry if I rambled, I'm exhausted lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endymion)
    Did she apply to Oxbridge? When I applied to Cambridge my next choice of university was Imperial and they rejected me without an interview. I later found out the reason why they rejected me was because I had applied to Cambridge and that they felt it wasn't worth offering me a place as I would choose Cambridge over Imperial if they accepted me.

Imperial offered me a place and they must have known I applied to Cambridge - form in on the 12th October, talked about work experience on Cambridge on my personal statement ( which I was asked about my interview).
    This was for physics - maybe different departments have different policies.
    Or maybe they didn't think I'd get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    :rolleyes: the competition for places at quite a few top universities (not just oxbridge) really is immense, especially for a subject like english. also; ib points, gcse grades and interview performance definately help candidates but there will often be other attributes looked at too.. i.e. extra-curricular activies and the rest. and i'm sure it's possible that however strong an applicant people think their friend might be, there can always be someone better.

I applied for English at Trintiy Hall - well done by the way Charlottie - and got rejected. However, on all of the meetings i had with oxbridge admission tutors and talks on the open days there were two huge occurring themes - one of which was - you are not your grades, we look for teachability etc etc. The second was put simply - we don't care AT ALL about extra curriculur activities - they will not help with your application we are essentially looking for a brain on legs. immediately after hearing this i got very upset because Gold DofE is hell! But yeah - the admissions tutors admitted it themselves - they don't care about your extra stuff. In my feedback from Cam i was told i was rejected because i wasn't as critical as some of the other candidates. Fair enough. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    I applied for English at Trintiy Hall - well done by the way Charlottie - and got rejected. However, on all of the meetings i had with oxbridge admission tutors and talks on the open days there were two huge occurring themes - one of which was - you are not your grades, we look for teachability etc etc. The second was put simply - we don't care AT ALL about extra curriculur activities - they will not help with your application we are essentially looking for a brain on legs. immediately after hearing this i got very upset because Gold DofE is hell! But yeah - the admissions tutors admitted it themselves - they don't care about your extra stuff. In my feedback from Cam i was told i was rejected because i wasn't as critical as some of the other candidates. Fair enough. xx

Yeah I was at an Oxford Target Schools thing and the tutor was like "I don't care about your Duke of whateveritis, I just want to be able to teach you!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    The second was put simply - we don't care AT ALL about extra curriculur activities - they will not help with your application we are essentially looking for a brain on legs.
    I wouldn't say that's entirely true, but I've heard similar things a lot too. I'm pretty sure that at least one of my extra-curriculars helped me, because it was relevant to the subject, and I touched on it in my interview. My school didn't really know what to expect from the interviews, so no-one could tell me anything, they guessed that in my general interview it'd be about extra stuff that was away from the subject - I told my interviewer this and she pretty much laughed. They don't seem to care about the irrelevant stuff at all, just the stuff that shows you love the subject (I'm a journalist with a local radio station, so that's my relevant one). Oh, and Gold DofE... I did one weekend away and did something to my knee. Dropped out and told them to stick their certificates for the other bits... I did all the stuff anyway, I didn't want certificates for 'um. DofE argh!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2005

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.