This discussion is closed.
Hughski
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got rejected with 10A* and 2As...+A in Ad-Maths. There are so many applications per place at universities it's not surprising they're rejecting people with good grades. Thankfully I got into a university I like a lot more than the one I was rejected from!!!
Charlottie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah, but how do you know you like it more without the similar experience of both?
Hughski
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Because they're next door. Lol. !!!!!!!!

(Admittedly, I think the other one is great as well. And I know I haven't had the same experiences...*blah blah blah*...but if I had got an offer from both I still would have chosen this one.)
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You're being very cryptic - what unis are you talking about ? xx
Tiger
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Hey, don't freak out people! Speaking from personal experience, if you get lots of rejections first time round - and in many cases it's pure luck of the draw - then just take a gap year and re-apply.

I did, re-wrote my personal statement and got offers from three places that had rejected me last year - Nottingham, Durham and York. (And I'm going to York!)
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tiger)
I did, re-wrote my personal statement and got offers from three places that had rejected me last year - Nottingham, Durham and York. (And I'm going to York!)
For English Lit? If so same here, would be cool to chat. PM me or something if you like!
makeshiftwings
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is unfair - I have a friend who did his A-levels last year, wound up with ACC, applied to Oxford the following year and got accepted! I think they just chose him because he was a sure thing.
Kittennffc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think the system is completely messed up. I applied to four universities for Q300 English (University of Leeds, University of Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam, and Manchester Metropolitan), and had predicted grades ABB, which was what Leeds asked for (and where I really wanted to go) and I had a really good personal statement, but still i got rejected. It makes me wonder what they really want from applicants! I did get offers from Liverpool (originally they offered BBB then moved it up to ABB), Sheffield Hallam, and Manchester Metropolitan (Thats where I am now)

It really makes me mad when people have amazing predicted grades and get rejected
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Enola)
Yep, as in A level choice. They like subjects such as History and Languages (neither of which i am studying ) and from what the tutor said, i gather that whilst grades are important, personal statements hold a lot of sway. But i may be completly wrong, this is just based on what one tutor said and my interpretation of it.
I hope that's right...lol. I'm doing History and French which I am hoping will look good as both York and Cambridge say they like to see English applicants with these subjects (I didn't know that when I chose them; luckily I liked them anyway!) I need all the advantages I can get with my GCSE scores! I wouldn't worry though, cos loads of people seem to get into the top universities even if they have subjects which "aren't well respected" -it can't be that important. Am also hoping that they look in detail at references as my teachers are apparently going to give me amazing ones; but then I would imagine everyone applying to top universities has glowing refs anyway!

Good points by Lottelo and someone else I've forgotten the name of: I got really depressed about how competitive English is compared to the subjects my best friends are doing (foreign languages and Physics), but in the end you have to not wallow in self pity and instead just get on with it; besides, think how much worse it is for the poor Law, Med, etc applicants, which are even more competitive.

Like RoisinHan said, there doesn't seem to be a "typical" successful candidate at top universities; yes it helps to have top grades, but they look for so many things... so it doesn't pay to get totally freaked out by individual's accounts. Also at places like York, Cambridge, Warwick, London unis etc you just have to accept that there are so many outstanding applicants that you may not get in even if you "deserve" to, and it often seems a bit like a lottery.

That said, I bet it can be very gutting, and I expect I will be devastated if the same thing happens to me Still never despair, there's always post A level apps, although I wouldn't do that unless I was rejected by all 6.
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm now absolutely petrified about applying for English! But it's just tough because i can't help loving a subject lots of other people love!

I'm planning on applying to Cardiff, Warwick and Birmingham for sure, and then Exeter and Sussex following what i think of them on their open days and then i don't know where else, having ruled out Sheffield.

I reckon i'm going to get aabb (plus a/b in GS) this year and AAB at A2 (plus A/B in GS), with my other subjects being psychology and geography/German (undecided). I got 2A*s and 8As at GCSE and have a fair few extra curriculars.

From reading this i gather this makes me a below average candidate for English but i don't care. I refuse to do anything but English at uni and if that means taking a gap year or applying to different unis then so be it. I know i'm good at English and if admissions tutors can't see that then it's their loss! So there :p: lol

dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mrs Rickman)
I'm now absolutely petrified about applying for English! But it's just tough because i can't help loving a subject lots of other people love!

I'm planning on applying to Cardiff, Warwick and Birmingham for sure, and then Exeter and Sussex following what i think of them on their open days and then i don't know where else, having ruled out Sheffield.

I reckon i'm going to get aabb (plus a/b in GS) this year and AAB at A2 (plus A/B in GS), with my other subjects being psychology and geography/German (undecided). I got 2A*s and 8As at GCSE and have a fair few extra curriculars.

From reading this i gather this makes me a below average candidate for English but i don't care. I refuse to do anything but English at uni and if that means taking a gap year or applying to different unis then so be it. I know i'm good at English and if admissions tutors can't see that then it's their loss! So there :p: lol

well said go for it!

[EDIT: I feel the same way; I know it's competitive but I love it, so who cares! I got 5A*s, 3 As and a C (so we have almost the same G score, 7.2&7.4) which is below average too, but GCSEs aren't the be all and end all, and so much of this is a "lottery", it's always worth having a stab at the best.

I'm applying to York, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Leeds for sure, then 2 out of Birmingham, Manchester and Durham (probably the first two). I want to live up north!

Anyway, best of luck with your applications; you say you've got plenty of extra curric, v good grades & a passion for the subject, so you've got at least as good a chance as any
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
omg - you're not a low grade candidate - i don't think i am and my GCSE's were much much worse than yours! And i applied to cam - didn't get in though but meh. xx
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think i'm a low grade candidate, but all this talk about apparant geniuses not getting any offers is a bit off putting. But like i say, i'm not uber-fussed, i'll just apply where i like and cross my fingers! Good luck to you too Bethany
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks ! Btw, is that after Alan Rickman? He has the sexiest voice ever :p:
sophieD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
seriously don't underestimate how important the personal statement is too. Because with a subject as competative as english, they do rely on them to separate candidates. My advice would be to focus on "why english" and talk about stuff uve done in relation to english, ure interests in reading/theatre etc. I wouldn't bother too much about extra curricular activities eg sports etc - maybe write a small paragraph but keep it minimal
loeffel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
please don't forget that university selection is as much about suitability for a course as well as academic merit.

I was interviewed by oxford (rejected also) on ABC.. my situation is slightly weird but still ... you would think they'd take one look at the grades and think.. meh. Silly girl.

The thing is, university selection is ridiculous and impersonal and reduces wonderful people to mere pieces of paper.
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep it is after Alan Rickman, or rather his voice lol. I'm working on my personal statement, any extra-curriculars i've mentioned i've tried to relate to English.
sophieD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
for my personal statement i spoke firstly why english, then i spoke about my english a level and what i enjoyed about it, (mention what skills you've aquired from all your a levels, but u don't have to write too much) then i wrote quite a bit about my theatre interests, extra reading i'd done. the final bit was just a bit about my extra curriculer interests. Also, it would be good to mention other reading that interests you like newspapers, maybe film/book reviews, that kind of thing - make it really interesting! and have a good opening sentence if possible. if anyone is thinking of applying to bristol, they have a good guide on there website about what they look for, and if you can, go on the open days because they say what they look for in a candiate (i know york do, but i didn't go). hope this helps. good luck!
katebush
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I remember only too well how upsetting rejections are.

I got rejected by 3 out of 6 unis. I had 4 As at A level (English, classical civilisation, Latin and Greek), 6A* and 3A grades at GCSE and loads and loads of extracurricular stuff--I even won an emmy award at 15 for a political interview I did on national telly!

I was heart broken at the time, although St Andrews was where I wanted to be. It just really knocked my confidence to have universities think I wasn't good enough when english had always been my real passion. No one was ever able to explain my rejections. My teacher said that the universities in question probably just assumed I had offers from my other choices, so left it to each other to offer a place. Still didn't help me feel any less stupid and unwanted though. :mad:

It took me a long time to feel better about it...and it was a long time ago-2000! Now I've just finished at St Andrews though, and had the time of my life. In the end, the rejections were not relevant--they didn't change the fantastic time I had once I reached St andrews.

So in the end it didn't matter. but I know at the time it felt like the end of the world- it felt like all my hard work and my straight As were being thrown back in my face. My advice is: Don't worry--the University that DOES take you will know you're worth your weight in gold. And it will be a University worth going to.

Don't let it knock your confidence- if you know you're good enough, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. In the end, these unis did me a favour- they made me all the more determined to prove myself once I did start at St Andrews. I've just finished with a first and a special prize for tthe highest marks in my year for one of my subject areas.

I know it was a while ago that I went through this, but I don't forget. If I can help anyone feel better, I'll have achieved something today.
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katebush)
I remember only too well how upsetting rejections are.

I got rejected by 3 out of 6 unis. I had 4 As at A level (English, classical civilisation, Latin and Greek), 6A* and 3A grades at GCSE and loads and loads of extracurricular stuff--I even won an emmy award at 15 for a political interview I did on national telly!

I was heart broken at the time, although St Andrews was where I wanted to be. It just really knocked my confidence to have universities think I wasn't good enough when english had always been my real passion. No one was ever able to explain my rejections. My teacher said that the universities in question probably just assumed I had offers from my other choices, so left it to each other to offer a place. Still didn't help me feel any less stupid and unwanted though. :mad:

It took me a long time to feel better about it...and it was a long time ago-2000! Now I've just finished at St Andrews though, and had the time of my life. In the end, the rejections were not relevant--they didn't change the fantastic time I had once I reached St andrews.

So in the end it didn't matter. but I know at the time it felt like the end of the world- it felt like all my hard work and my straight As were being thrown back in my face. My advice is: Don't worry--the University that DOES take you will know you're worth your weight in gold. And it will be a University worth going to.

Don't let it knock your confidence- if you know you're good enough, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. In the end, these unis did me a favour- they made me all the more determined to prove myself once I did start at St Andrews. I've just finished with a first and a special prize for tthe highest marks in my year for one of my subject areas.

I know it was a while ago that I went through this, but I don't forget. If I can help anyone feel better, I'll have achieved something today.
Well done and well said

I really don't think I would mind how many rejections I got as long as I got into one of my favourite 4 universities! I just really love the courses at York, Cambridge, Leeds and Edinburgh, and if I got into just one I wouldn't care how many of the others rejected me. Unfortunately, all aforementioned universities are bl**dy difficult to get into...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads