This discussion is closed.
Font
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _mad_moo_)
Heya,

Posting this for a friend really. She's got 4As at AS (lowest score = 293 and got 100% in two subjects), is predcited 3As at A2 (plus another A at AS since she's doing another one). Got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE. Has done various drama things, works in a library, on school newspaper and set up book group yet got rejected without interview from UCL! (plus she had a wicked personal statement)

Has anyone else had this experience of rejection with v impressive grades?
these sort of posts make me feel so dumb - my highest was like 276, and you on about lowest:eek:

Phil
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
^^^^ 100% in two subjects is very impressive!
esd1323
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It all comes down to luck, in the end... English is such a competitive course, with so many strong candidates, universities can afford to be petty about who they choose and why... they probably have to be. I think a lot of it comes down to your personal statement, but even then it's probably not a question of how good it is. It seems like even an individual phrase included in it could make a university think that you might not be completely suited for the course or the teaching methods or some other aspect of their university experience, even if in reality you'd be fine with it given the chance.

This thread has really humbled me, and I'm even more grateful than ever to have received the offer I really wanted. Good luck to all of you xx
naystar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had 5A*s, 7 As at GCSE and 4 As at AS, predicted straight As at the end of my A2 course, which should leave me with 3As at A2 and 2As at AS (I'm doing one AS over two years), had a strong reference from my school on both forms, and yet was also rejected from Oxford before interview, and don't know why. I think it's become ridiculously tough to get in to a good university these days, although possibly this year being the last to apply without incurring top-up fees meant that there was an increase in applications.. I don't know. I know quite a few others in the same boat, having straight As and A*s at GCSE and AS and being rejected from Oxford without interview. I think if you want an almost definite chance of having an interview, you have to apply to Cambridge.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads